What watch do you wear?

Circular slide rule from what I understand. I don’t know how to read it ;)

It works just like a straight slide rule but you don't have to worry about which side to move the slide. Oh and you need to bring a really good magnifying glass to use it.

Are Hamilton watches any good? I am looking at a slim auto.
I am new to watches. I hope it isn’t a dumb question.

Citizen CA4198-87L

CA4198-1.jpg

Discontinued model, bigger and fancier than I like — but I can't resist a cheap watch and this was $98. I don't like bracelets on chronographs, and Crown & Buckle had a rally strap on sale for $23.

CA4198-2.jpg

CA4198-3.jpg

The rotating bezels on some chronograph watches are slide rules. Few do all the slide rule functions. Pilots once used them for navigation. Actually, most pilots used an E6B flight computer AKA "whiz wheel."

mr-spock.jpg

Leonard Nimoy the pilot brought his whiz wheel into the 22nd century. It's a bigger circular slide rule, easier to read and use. On the other hand, it takes two hands and it's a loose object in the cockpit. Light plane and helicopter pilots still use these things.

Are Hamilton watches any good? I am looking at a slim auto.
I am new to watches. I hope it isn’t a dumb question.

For sure they are good watches and (to me) they look good too. They are out of my budget, and I only know them by reputation and by looking. There are good watches priced $25 to $150 and that is what I can afford. One of my neighbors has an old Rolls Silver Cloud in his garage. I don't know how old, it has steel bumpers. I have an old Subaru. My old Subaru does everything I need a car to do. Is there an advantage to owning a Rolls? Buahahahahahaha

There are no dumb questions, there are only dumb attitudes. The second dumbest of all dumb attitudes is fear of saying "I don't know."

PVH Weems was a giant in navigation, particularly air navigation. Here's an Omega Weems from 1940. UK Air Ministry ordered these. You can see this watch on the wrist of one of the Spitfire pilots in a cockpit scene in the film Dunkirk. This is one of the more uncommon watches in my collection.

Omega Weems.
fdbd1a9c.jpg

Circular slide rule from what I understand. I don’t know how to read it ;)

It's the C and D scales from an ordinary slide rule, wrapped around the outside of the dial. One of the parts rotates with respect to the other part. C and D scales are used together to multiply or divide numbers. I'm old enough to know how to use a slide rule, all of the scales not just the C and D. I once owned a Citizen Nighthawk and I had the idea that I could look down at it in a restaurant and use it to calculate the tip, but then I realized I would have to carry a pretty strong magnifier just to be able to see it in a dark restaurant.

I'm not a watch guy, but I do have a new watch a Casio MDV106. Dead nuts accurate. Built like a brick telephone booth and water resistant to 200M. And less than $50 delivered to my door. It even looks nice. For For someone who grew up having to wind his watch every day and reset the time at least once a week by a couple of minutes, this is the promised land.
bX6Jgz3.png

Casio Edifice EFR-545BD-7BV

EFR545-1.jpg
Wearable bracelet, but I don't like chronographs on bracelets.

EFR545-2.jpg

EFR545-3.jpg
Amazon now-you-see-it-now-you-don't loss leader and the best watch I ever bought for $54.

It looks much better on a tan rally strap.

rallystrap.jpg

Last edited:
Back