What watch do you wear?

CXCmnaZ.jpg

Parnis watch with Miyota 9100 movement

9100-0.jpg

9100-1.jpg

Date, day, month, 24 hour time, power reserve — but month is faked. Annual calendar watches know which months have 30 days and which have 31. Rolex Sky-Dweller does that for $15,000 list. Perpetual calendar watches know Leap Years and cost more. Miyota 9100 has a flush mounted button above the crown that manually advances the month.

Sapphire crystals without anti-reflective coating are tough photography for meatball photographers.

Last edited:
Watches can be a lot like knives. I rotate between a Junghans Max Bill, Omega Seamaster 300M quartz, Chronoswiss Lunar Calendar, Seiko Marinemaster, Seiko SKX007. I want to try to flip the Chronoswiss and Marinemaster into a Zenith.

uqjyw5o.jpg

Last edited:
Parnis watch with Miyota 9100 movement

View attachment 1035445

View attachment 1035446

Date, day, month, 24 hour time, power reserve — but month is faked. Annual calendar watches know which months have 30 days and which have 31. Rolex Sky-Dweller does that for $15,000 list. Perpetual calendar watches know Leap Years and cost more. Miyota 9100 has a flush mounted button above the crown that manually advances the month.

Sapphire crystals without anti-reflective coating are tough photography for meatball photographers.

I denigrated my own watch, so I guess I should correct myself. It arrived set for December and I assumed it worked like Sea-gull ST2525, with a decorative month sub-dial you manually advance. Not so. Citizen uses this movement in their NB5000-55A Grand Classic and I downloaded their setting instructions.

http://c04.coacdn.com/calibersWPC/9151_full_instructions_EN_US.pdf

This is a monthly calendar watch that only knows 31 day months. At the end of a 30, 29 or 28 day month, you fast forward to the day of the 31st and then advance the hour and minute hands past midnight. In other words, it works like every other analog watch I own, with the addition of a 31 day month sub-dial.

To prove it's a real Chinese watch and not an imitation, here's a closeup of the dial.

9100-X.jpg

"Low" is spelled with a capital I instead of a capital L.

Here's what Citizen does with the 9100 movement:

Grand%20Classic-main.png

IMO it's overpriced at $1,195 and I prefer the Parnis.

Last edited:
As usual, Gary, your taste is impeccable, and your photos, excellent. I read your thread on that new one and it absolutely ticks all the boxes. Might have to follow your example one of these days and upgrade.

Thanks Frank, I believe it is a worthwhile upgrade without breaking the bank, while some folks love the mechanical self winding watches, the upkeep for them are just too much for me, referencing my old Sinn 656, also a beautiful watch but after 4 years I had to cough up over $300 just to get it serviced ? that stopped my love of mechanical watches dead in it's tracks :)
G2

Thanks Frank, I believe it is a worthwhile upgrade without breaking the bank, while some folks love the mechanical self winding watches, the upkeep for them are just too much for me, referencing my old Sinn 656, also a beautiful watch but after 4 years I had to cough up over $300 just to get it serviced ? that stopped my love of mechanical watches dead in it's tracks :)
G2

Quartz watches don't have the same soul or interest as mechanical watches but quartz watches have more practicality. Watch collectors generally buy enough watches that they don't keep one long enough to need to service it. It's like knife collectors that buy enough knives that they never have to sharpen one. I've almost always kept a few quartz watches around to wear weekends and other times when I don't want to stop and set the watch or I'm not wearing the watch long enough during the day to keep its power reserve up. I think I have more quartz watches now than ever before but during the week it's almost always mechanical watches. I've never had to service a watch, I've almost never kept one or worn one long enough to need service.

I can appreciate the reasoning behind why people like the mechanical watch, and that it can be controversial in that respect.
I was so happy with my Sinn 656 it was to my eyes, exceptional in every detail...except it didn't keep very accurate time, and when I searched about that I found that 'well yeah, they can gain or lose time, it's mechanical..' which floored me as it cost so much and that wasn't even in the realm of a the really expensive watch world. But when it finally was losing 20, 30 minutes, I knew it was past time to get it a tune up and they did a great job, but I wasn't hanging onto it to go through that again.

july4_2008.jpg

G2

Back