What will Carothers bring to Blade 2018

YES, for years, lol. But it's just a matter of waiting..............and waiting..............and.......LOL:);).

It's reached the point where I now need a set of six, for steak knives.

The thought of a set of those as steak knives makes me downright giddy!!

Well, the last pic I saw of one was Nathan cuttin' a beautiful piece of steak, ergo....

Spoke to Jo today and apparently Nathan thought they had a few FK blanks left, but apparently that is not the case. The shop is also out of scales for the FK. So hopes of an edge cut vintage micarta run and a batch of FKs .... dead.

How-About-No-Bear.jpg

Would it be so bad to make 500 more Field Knives?

Maybe with unbuffed Antique Micarta?

Last edited:
How about i just want an unbuffed set of micarta scales for when im elbows deep in some critter?

Yep, that's what the one in my hunting pack is wearing is unbuffed. You wear down the rough edges over time, but bead blasting freshens them back up pretty good. If you've got a set of polished micarta you might try that.

Would it be so bad to make 500 more Field Knives?

Maybe with unbuffed Antique Micarta?

While I would love to see that ^ it just gets to be where Nathan doesn't want to look at them any more. And not just the Field Knife pattern, but he's posted the same about others. The potato knife specifically comes to mind as another. I guess what I'm saying is that I understand not wanting to build the same thing over and over. I hand-braze thousands of carbide tips in saw blades some days and all I can see when I close my eyes at night are saw tips stacked up around a circle saw blade. I can only imagine the visions of chips and coolant that haunt Nate time to time.

I never get tired of cutting chips, but like anybody I do get tired of building the same thing repeatedly. I like to mix things up to keep things fresh here.

We were working out in the shop this morning and I heard Jo say "oh that is a good-looking knife". I think it's important to appreciate your own work. And it helps to change things up before they get tedious.

The Field Knife was a great pattern but I lost count of how many of them I made. There are a lot of them out there.

Some news on the progress of the FK-2.0 other than just being on the big white board as an embryonic CPK, will most likely alleviate most of the FK's abandonment/retirement angst and pains. Come on Nathan, I can feel it in my bones that you're hiding something(s) from us ;)

Some news on the progress of the FK-2.0 other than just being on the big white board as an embryonic CPK, will most likely alleviate most of the FK's abandonment/retirement angst and pains. Come on Nathan, I can feel it in my bones that you're hiding something(s) from us ;)

He's hiding the steak knives.

Back