What will the first order of business be?

What issue will be the springboard for the AKTI?
Also what are the subects and issues on the imediate agenda? If education is a big factor what are the plans for implementation? National level,State by State? Do you plan on having correspondents or representitives from each state for lobbying type efforts and to keep the AKTI abreast of what laws are being considered so they may act accordingly?
Bob

We have divided AKTI into 3 major efforts. Education, Membership and Legislation.

Education is focused on providing information in a useable format to teach knives as tools to all ages and backgrounds. From school rallies to Lion's Club meetings.

Membership is focused on communication to members and benefits/incentives to increase membership.

Legislative is focused on monitoring existing and pending legislation. We have contracted with a service called "Statenet". We are able to pull up pending legislation text, history and status. We also have access to phone numbers and backgrounds of legislators sponsoring the legislation. I have looked through pending legislation this year and there is not much except dealing with weapons on school grounds. That is an unassailable issue at the moment.

We have loaded links to all 50 states existing penal codes on our website. If you know the section # you can search it.

We have not officially targeted anything specifically yet but will focus our energies on legislation concerning possession.

The two issues we took on in California were possession of switchblades and dirks and daggers. Our approach was to make the definitions involved more reasonable.

Any thoughts on this???

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.
AKTI Member #PR00003

C.J
Thanks for the prompt answer. Sounds like a sound plan of action for the AKTI. to pursue.I know that BUCK worked hard and did a great job out in Calif.With a stronger and united organization that exists now with all of the other cutlery companies and individuals involved maybe some good common sense will prevail over getting rid of some pretty idiotic and archaic knife laws that still exsist.My check for membership is on the way.
Bob

Strider - We are dealing with ignorance and fear. (many feel it's esier and acceptable to just be afraid).

I believe that raising the general awareness level of "knives are really used for a lot of good things", is the first step in the education of the general public.

This can be done on many fronts. Especially with intelligent responsible citizens (and students) doing this.

A historical knife disply showing "The knife as a tool" in leather work, horticulture, surgery, etc. Odd shaped knives purpose built with explanations and samples.

Just some thoughts.

sal

Back