What Would Be A Good Folder With A Wharncliffe Blade?

Razor

Gold Member
I have been looking at the CR's Insingo. What would be some other good knives with this style blade. Does a wharncliffe blade cut good? It looks like it would be easy to sharpen?

Velitrius

Gold Member
Kinda fond of the Benchmade 555.

I like the way it cuts, and find it very easy to sharpen.

afishhunter

Basic Member
A true Wharncliffe (has a ruler straight cutting edge tip to tang, and the tip is pointer than a sheepsfoot) is easy to sharpen and is a good cutter/slicer/whittling blade. Be aware it is not a good critter skinner blade. For skinning critters you want a blade with some belly.
I don't know "modern" one band opening knives, or who offers what on that side of the isle.
I'd suggest a "Improved" trapper (full length clip point and full length Wharncliffe blades). I think Case and Rough Rider are currently listing at least one.
If you can find one, a Case 28 Tear Drop pattern or GEC 610211 "Half Congress" would be a good choice, as well. I understand GEC is doing a run of the 62 Congress this year. I don't know what the blade combinations are going to be. I do know GEC does not make a lot of each pattern in any one run. If you decide you want the GEC, don't hesitate if you find one at a dealer. (you might want to pre-order one, if that is still an option) I have no doubt, based on what I've seen over in the Traditional Sub_Forum that this run will sell-out in under 24 hours -- at the most. It may be years before GEC does another run of them.
The GEC will have 1095 carbon steel blades. My CASE TB61028W DAM Tear Drop has a carbon steel Damascus blade. If you want stain less steel, try to get a new Case or Rough Rider improved Trapper or Muskrat.

Good luck in your quest :)

cchu518

Gold Member
Wharnies and their iterations are my favorite. ZT and Kershaw like the Natrix and Bareknuckle are similar in shape to the Insingo.

I have been looking at the CR's Insingo. What would be some other good knives with this style blade. Does a wharncliffe blade cut good? It looks like it would be easy to sharpen?

Owen K.

Gold Member
Yeah they are convenient to sharpen. I love my 3in XM 18 warnie. Has anyone tried the compound ground hogue Deka warnie yet? It's on my list.

on the more budget side, a Spyderco Delica with a Wharncliffe blade is pretty handy for EDC. I like mine in HAP40 (laminated with sus410) quite a bit.

cchu518

Gold Member
n3VkU7E.jpg

Chronovore

Basic Member
afishhunter afishhunter is right about the terminology. Some of what gets called "wharncliffe" today really isn't. If you are interested in the Wharncliffe design, here is a fun little read:

https://blog.knife-depot.com/history-of-the-wharncliffe-blade

I'm more of a budget guy but you can always search by blade shape over on Blade HQ. You can also filter by price, blade steel, etc. For instance, here are the "wharncliffe" shapes between $250 and $500. Have fun window shopping!

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Manual-Knives--45#/filter:blade_style:Wharncliffe/filter:price:250:500

Korean Hog

Gold Member
Delica wharncliffe! Best wharncliffe I've used.
Not the best looking mind you, but the most functional I've used and it's a true wharncliffe with the ruler straight edge mentioned above.

Cold Steel Tuff Lite. They also make the Frenzy but the blade is not completely flat or straight on the cutting edge.

eveled

Gold Member
B5156835-F2C3-4936-896C-089A05BFC5F5.jpeg

If they are so easy to sharpen how come every used one you find has been turned into a recurve?

Even though it’s not a Wharncliff. My favorite pattern has a large coping shaped blade. Like you would find on rope knives.

Anyway check out a Case Loomfixer, also called a New England Whaler. Rough rider calls theirs a half hawk. It’s a large sway back 2 blade jack. Rope blade main and pen secondary blades.

This one was made by KA-BAR. Note the rounded section of the blade near the tip. is not suposed to be there. Again I thought they were easy to sharpen.

Last edited:
I am partial to the insingo.
The large 21 insingo is my prefered knife, and I am waiting for a 31 insingo :)

At the high end the Koenig mini goblin is great

Spyderco has some very good option, the Delica and the dragonfly are nice with wharncliffe blades
The Yojimbo 2 is also a great option here

As it has been said Hinderer offers great wharncliffe.
The limited half track wharncliffe was fine
An XM-18 3.5 fatty wharncliffe has been released also that looks great