What would be a good self defence weapon for me?

Quick suggestion Jameson,
Ladies tend to avoid guys who somehow manage to get into trouble as often as you do. Even those of us with my combatitive personalities find a dozen fights in 5 years to be an indication that a guy may be someone to avoid.

Ummmmm... I am a bouncer P/T little lady. You try working at a bar/club that houses 200+ people on Fri/Sat Nights, and 50-100 on weeknights without getting in a fight. This bar ("Bogarts" in Uniondale, NY across from the Nassau Colliseum/Next to Hoftra University) IMO serves the kids toooooooo much alcohol, and they go nuts at 4am while waiting for cabs usually, or just fight inside. Or they show up so drunk/doped that they start to break balls before they even get inside, and flip out if we deny their id's and stuff like this. I get sucker-punched sooo much it is ridiculous. The legitimatre fights I am talkign about are when people got personal, or started to mess with my truck out front, or insulted my girlfriend e.t.c. Bascically I am in a strange position, being a targtet. Drunk kids dont give a F#@$ usually and will do whatever they please, talk trash, and run-away. Once I had to call the police becuase someone broke the tailgate window on my truck with a bottle, luckily the bar has a machine which we run each ID through that records them. We sifted through and I recognized three people. The police arrested him at his Hofstra dorm. I did not press charges, his parents agreed to pay me $400 for repair and for my duress LOL

JC

P.S. Marajade, I am not some big beefcake bouncer. I try to act professional, I am sure you remember how rowdy peopel get while waiting outside a popular bar, then beign denied entrance by the bouncer. I am in a tough position as stated, and I only do this work part-time.

JC

There are a lot of things to consider. Check your local laws
to see what your options are you may be suprised what you can
carry legally. I would also suggest looking at a variety of
weapons,styles and training techniques and find what you can use most effectivly.Strongly consider not only the physical aspect, but also
the psychology of a physical confrontation. I can give you a very classic example of the latter.

Martial arts don't work very well for self-defense, except for those who have a consuming interest in them; and those folks usually don't need a martial art to defend themselves, anyway.

Getting strong, especially starting at 115 pounds and 6 feet tall, sounds like a very long, involved and improbable solution.

A handgun, where legal, has a lot of merit.
If not legal, one has to make a choice, and one could unnecessarily complicate his or her life, long-term, by carrying a handgun illegally.

The largest folding knife allowed by local law presents the best alternative for a non-physical person.
A number of knife experts offer long-weekend classes for a couple of hundred bucks.
I think it would surprise a person how much useful knowledge and technique he can pick up in a weekend from a first-rate teacher.
Travel to where the teacher lives and teaches, or wait until he visits an interesting city, if he makes the rounds.
Make a vacation of it.
It may spark a life time interest in a much more accessible self-defense form than traditional open hands martial arts.

I second the cane! With your bad back and heart condition you also have a better "excuse" for one than most people. Some online manuals on the Vigny method of cane fighting:

www.ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_barton-wright_0200.htm
www.ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_barton-wright_0400.htm
www.the-exiles.org/manual/lang/lang.htm

IMHO I wouldn't recommend weights, they can take a toll on the body. My weight-lifting grandpa recently had to have both his knees replaced! (Also from a Cabbalistic point of view the iron is bad for one's energy field) For a while I lifted weights and used machines for exercise. Then for another while later I just did push-ups, crunches, dands, bethaks, and other exercises, calisthenics and stretches, headstands, bridging and more using only my own body, and "felt" much stronger. Not a very scientific test, but on the other hand I haven't touched weights since! I'd also recommend Hatha Yoga or something similar for flexibility, breathing, and "soft" or "internal" exercise.

Good point by Khazar Kid.
Dands?
Bethaks?
Elaborate, please.

A lot of disciplines come under the name of Yoga, some quite strenuous and even dangerous to the novice.
For a safe alternative, check out Feldenkrais and specifically a set of Feldenkrais tapes by Russel.
Otherwise, get a recommendation for a good yoga teacher from an accredited physical therapist.

Canemasters not only makes a great cane, they make a super set of videos on how to use the cane for self defense.
The cane does not lend itself to defense while getting in and out of a car, though.
Pursue the knife for defense in-car or while transitioning in and out of a car.

Squeezing your nipples and screaming "Milk me, milk me":D :D :D
In my opinion, Vampire Gerbil, YOU are the driving force of BFC! I know that I would certainly leave anyone doing that alone...... except if it was Elle MacPhearson!:D

Back