What would you like to see from Benchmade?

BMCGear

Gold Member
Here's my wishlist!

Folders:

- Something with a wharncliffe. The Griptilian perhaps or something completely new. Would be nice to have a full size and a mini version.

- Micarta scales. It would be really cool to see more micarta. Make a -3 of certain models and or new models. Hans mentioned a micarta 940 in one of the Beers with Benchmades as a request he's looking into. I have a micarta Grip and love it!

Fixed Blades:

- I'm less specific in this category. 5 - 7 inches with a neutral handle made of preferably micarta with no hooks on it (like the bushcrafter) and you've made my perfect knife. Throw in a kydex or quality leather sheath and you've just sold me a knife.

The bushcrafter doesn't fit my hand and I no longer hunt so I don't need anything for skinning. So a general purpose fixed blade is all I need for camping.

In General:

More micarta.
More G10
More 20cv and M390

Last edited:
I also think a small gent knife is missing, a mini 940 or something. I feel like the only thing in this category currently offered is the proper, the valet, or the new 756 which is pretty pricey to get a smaller knife. Maybe a 2.75" bugout with some micarta or CF scales.

I wouldn't mind seeing the proper with slabs closer to the crooked river.

I'm sure part of this is that BM keeps blades and handle lengths really close to each other so a small knife without a choil is going have a tiny purchase. I know the mini-grip can feel a little small some days.

To contrast Blue's comment on G10, I would like to see less of it and more micarta instead. It seems like everything they have has G10. I could get behind some multi-colored G10 though as the layered stuff looks pretty sweet finished up.

I think their fixed blades options aren't great, but I shop elsewhere for my fixed blades because of BM's cost on these so not really what I shop BM for but something they may consider. Very little in their fixed blade line speaks to me, the closest is probably the bolo but that's a stretch because it's pretty short. The contego, assuming similar blade geo's to the folder, is another that could be a nice one but I would rather see it in CPM-M4 as S30v in fixed blades doesn't do it for me at that asking price.

I'm often surprised how expensive fixed blades are compared to folders in the knife manufacture world considering the polar opposite in the knifemaker's classifieds. It seems like the manufacture would be a lot simpler on the fixed blades but maybe materials comes far more into the pricing for the manufactured items whereas the labor on handmades dictate the price, especially F&F?

I also think a small gent knife is missing, a mini 940 or something. I feel like the only thing in this category currently offered is the proper, the valet, or the new 756 which is pretty pricey to get a smaller knife. Maybe a 2.75" bugout with some micarta or CF scales.

I wouldn't mind seeing the proper with slabs closer to the crooked river.

I'm sure part of this is that BM keeps blades and handle lengths really close to each other so a small knife without a choil is going have a tiny purchase. I know the mini-grip can feel a little small some days.

To contrast Blue's comment on G10, I would like to see less of it and more micarta instead. It seems like everything they have has G10. I could get behind some multi-colored G10 though as the layered stuff looks pretty sweet finished up.

I think their fixed blades options aren't great, but I shop elsewhere for my fixed blades because of BM's cost on these so not really what I shop BM for but something they may consider. Very little in their fixed blade line speaks to me, the closest is probably the bolo but that's a stretch because it's pretty short. The contego, assuming similar blade geo's to the folder, is another that could be a nice one but I would rather see it in CPM-M4 as S30v in fixed blades doesn't do it for me at that asking price.

I'm often surprised how expensive fixed blades are compared to folders in the knife manufacture world considering the polar opposite in the knifemaker's classifieds. It seems like the manufacture would be a lot simpler on the fixed blades but maybe materials comes far more into the pricing for the manufactured items whereas the labor on handmades dictate the price, especially F&F?

I originally put smaller knives in my post but ended up taking it out. I say more G10 (because I'd rather have it on most knives than versaflex or FRN). Micarta first and then G10 for me.

I'd be pretty stoked to see the introduction of CPM-Cruwear. And I'd like to see the Bugout in a blade shape similar to an Insingo blade and as many Bugout configurations (different steel and handle material combinations) as Benchmade can think of.

To be honest, I don't mind the FRN at all. Especially for the price difference BM charges. I just don't see G10 as a big upgrade. Micarta I do really like and I think it gives better grip and mostly I like that it shows character with use. Micarta and wood are my favorite handle materials but wood doesn't lend itself the best to hard use since it gets slippery. I would be curious to try a wood handle with micarta bolster and/or butt where a lot of the grip forces are added.

Ti Frame lock with thin slicer blade. Able to finger flick With excellent drop shut action. M4 or 20cv. Show side preferably carbonfiber. And your first sentence.

They have plenty of great designs and I like the Axis lock (being left handed). I would like to see some more steel choices. M4 is always a favorite and possibly S110V.
Bugout with carbon fiber scales and M4 or S110V would be really interesting... An S110V mini Grip would be WOW...

I really like what they did this year with the 486 Saibu. Essentially they're basing the knife off of an existing custom designed knife with some BM flair. Spyderco and ZT have been doing this for a while, and it's nice to see Benchmade getting into this as well.

A massive price drop on all 940's so I'll finally get one. Only somewhat kidding :D

But yeah, definitely some Wharncliffes, and more knives in the vein of the Crooked River, which is one of the most sexy knives out there,while being absolutely brilliant.

Small gents folder. Titanium frame lock with wood overlays, two and three-quarter inch blade, s35v or better steel, 2 ounces or less with a pocket clip befitting the knife.
Make it slicey.

I agree with you in that I'd like to see some more smaller EDC/Gent style knives from Benchmade, although you forgot to add the newly released 486 to that list! While not for everyone, I think it looks sweet and definitely fits the "Gent knife" bill for me! And besides, can't really complain about 20cv!

I agree with you in that I'd like to see some more smaller EDC/Gent style knives from Benchmade, although you forgot to add the newly released 486 to that list! While not for everyone, I think it looks sweet and definitely fits the "Gent knife" bill for me! And besides, can't really complain about 20cv!

I saw the saibu on BM's website but there were no size specs. From an aesthetic point of view, it still look pretty tactical for a gents knife but clearly that differs from person to person. The cutouts really don't do it for me either but I also don't like inlays at all and is even a turn-off for other high end knives like Chris Reeve knives.

I saw the saibu on BM's website but there were no size specs. From an aesthetic point of view, it still look pretty tactical for a gents knife but clearly that differs from person to person. The cutouts really don't do it for me either but I also don't like inlays at all and is even a turn-off for other high end knives like Chris Reeve knives.

Fair enough; it's a knife I'd like to pick up to try out, but it's a little farther down the list of stuff I'd like to pick up. As far as specs go, irrc, it's got about a 3" blade made of 20cv and roughly a 4" handle.

To be honest, I don't mind the FRN at all. Especially for the price difference BM charges. I just don't see G10 as a big upgrade. Micarta I do really like and I think it gives better grip and mostly I like that it shows character with use. Micarta and wood are my favorite handle materials but wood doesn't lend itself the best to hard use since it gets slippery. I would be curious to try a wood handle with micarta bolster and/or butt where a lot of the grip forces are added.

I guess it depends on the knife for me. My 535GRY I don't mind at all. I'm not a fan of wood handles at all but I agree about Micarta.

I’m on the same page as a few here. I would like to see a gent folder around the specs of the 707 sequel. 3 inch blade but a thin handle so it disappears but as useful as a mini grip. A mini 940 if you will. Like to see a bit more,g10, micarta little less rubbery handled stuff or more options for the same model so you can pick. I would always take more m390.

Benchmade has a couple or three knives I would like to acquire but I won't, like the Mini Grip. It is a perfect size, light and carries well. BUT. No way do I want a small knife with a saber grind. Listen up Benchmade, it's a knife not a sword. First and foremost, small knives should cut well.
I've got the same complaint about the Proper, you came close but blew it with the blade grind.

Make these and I know you would sell at least two. :)
Mini Grip with a full flat grind and .090 blade stock.
The valet with a full flat grind and the blade thinned to .090.

Well since I can’t bring up QC,

Lower prices that make somone actually want to buy the knife without being a BM loyalist.

But even if they can’t (they won) do that; then I demand a bugout in carbon fibre. That is like the ultimate knife that would benefit from the ridgidity of cf!

Back