What would you like to see from Cold Steel in 2018?

Well gents we're halfway through the year now and somehow my previous 2017 thread is still going. It's time to look to 2018. I look forward to reading everyone's ideas as I hope CS does also. No bad ideas, and please no negative posts about others wants.

Here's what I'd like to see-

1. Trail Master in D2, 3V, or O1 DLC- Another thread was started going into detail about how horribly rust prone O1 is. I love my TM but would love it (and buy it for sure) if it came in D2. Less prone to rust. Already a steel CS uses and knows the heat treat. Fairly tuff but would be super tuff at 5/16". 3V would be nice but it would be more expensive, probably triple what the D2 would cost. Or just DLC the O1, CS already does it to so many other knives it's not funny.

2. Recon 1 in 3V or with blue G10- 3V would just be cool to have in a Recon 1 although in a folder I'm not sure how much benefit one would get. Still this is a want thread and I'm not the only one that would like to see it. Blue G10 is just because I like the color CS uses and even when I pull a 4" bladed folder if it's blue people don't freak out. For some reason it screams harmless? I wish people weren't so feeble minded but we live in an age of sissies.

3. Recon Scout in D2, 3V, or O1 DLC- same reasons as #1.

So what would you guys like to see from CS in 2018?

Last edited:
I've said it a million times on various forums, but cold steel just don't seem to like the idea.

- Recon series with a NON COATED BLADE
-
Lawman with a NON COATED BLADE
-
AK-47 with yep, you guessed it...a non coated blade
- XL spearpoint models

Seriously, offering knives with black blades only is like offering a car that only comes in one color, or t-shirts or house paint. Not everyone likes black steel, to me it just looks like plastic, plus it just takes away any class from the knife and makes it look aggressive. Even tho i still own numerous CS black bladed knives, stonewash like the voyager would look better imo, and it would save on production costs. My 2 cents.

more 3v fixed especially trailmaster and recon scout......

more 4" + blade lengthed folders.

reserve the right to add more later.....

Since they're phasing out the SMIII, I don't see why they couldn't do all the big knives in CPM3V to offer a new high end steel alternative. Perhaps instead of 5/16 inch thick, the 3V knives could be reduced to 1/4 inch thick and still be a much tougher knife? They might have to tweak the tang designs to keep the balance points the same. Like maybe get rid of the cable tang construction on the Laredo and Natchez and go with a tapered sandwich tang. (I have no complaints about the cable tang but that would be a way to simplify the build process and reduce manufacturing cost to offset some of the increase from using 3V.)

Well you all knew what I was going to say, or should by now.

This :

My GRAIL

Made from a Boker Urban Trapper with the handle scales made from a Cold Steel Krey-Ex Kitchen Classic.

Difference I would like to see from Cold Steel is super steel M4 or 3V (yes I know this is not a 3V style knife but I just like 3V even in a lighter duty knife). This Urban Trapper is VG10 which is quite nice and adequate.

The problem is with the Trapper it has that machined out arc in the blade for the stop pin and is a strength concern for me; though I have never broken one.

So :
  • Folder (carried in a pouch / NO CLIP) this one's light enough to carry in bottom of pocket.
  • Super steel blade
  • Robust pivot (think Sod Buster or Cold Steel Holdout)
  • Krey-Ex sculpted handle
  • Titanium liners (what you are looking at here HAS titanium liners).
? the lock ? . . . anything from a slippy to maybe a notched strong spring like the Spyderco UKPK or a refined easy to unlock Tri-ad. May not be room for that. The same handle proportions is important to me. Heck the Ti liner lock WORKS GREAT on this knife. I dare you to copy it.

This photo shows the final . . . refined shape for the handle.

Yah . . . those scales are attached with Torx screws. You can hardly see the hole once they self heal over the heads of the installed screws !
I like it !
Here's the knife closed. Sweet and trim.

Last edited:
Bring back the Twistmaster and maybe something Douk Douk style.

~Chip

Repeating myself from the 2017 thread: Kobun in 3V or some other high-end steel (I really don't like AUS-8, but I like the shape and weight of the Kobun).

- Bring back the Desperado, Talwar and Hold Out
- Thumb plate in all XLs available, Voyagers especially
- More special LE Folders such as the Rawles Voyager or L.Thompson Vaquero
- Re-introduce the SE Kobun
- Try again at the AO Folder world, I loved the Swift!

I agree with Girlyman...Yes! Make Cold Steel affordable again! I recently purchased the Tigerclaw and the Frenzy in CTS XHP. Both are great folders but NOT because of the steel. They would be every bit as good in AUS 8 and a lot more affordable. Realistically though I guess , as long as knife buyers mass delusional love affair with expensive steel continues we won't be seeing any price breaks. Hey morons wake-up ! ,the emperor isn't wearing any clothes!

On another note; as someone mentioned above, bring out an XL spearpoint folder. It's years overdue.

I agree with Girlyman...Yes! Make Cold Steel affordable again! I recently purchased the Tigerclaw and the Frenzy in CTS XHP. Both are great folders but NOT because of the steel. They would be every bit as good in AUS 8 and a lot more affordable. Realistically though I guess , as long as knife buyers mass delusional love affair with expensive steel continues we won't be seeing any price breaks. Hey morons wake-up ! ,the emperor isn't wearing any clothes!

On another note; as someone mentioned above, bring out an XL spearpoint folder. It's years overdue.

Then offer both steels.
CTS-XHP is miles ahead of aus8 if you actually use the blade. I suppose for pocket decorations it matters not. Chrome plated plastic would be good for those ______ (people).
Keep the name calling in your pocket. Please.

The thermal treatment that cold-steel performs on all blades is exceptional The AUS-8A has a remarkable cutting capacity (penetration) is very easy to sharpen the quality ratio is 10

Back