What would you most like from GEC in 2019?

What would you like to see from GEC in 2019?

• New patterns

• More variety in handle materials in the existing patterns

• ‘Modern’ traditional blade steels e.g. D2, and stainless

• Larger runs so there is less pressure to buy immediately

• Less SFOs

• More SFOs

• Sprint runs of smaller total knife numbers

• Better jigging patterns

• Lower prices on GEC knives

• Smaller runs and more variety

Results are only viewable after voting.
I often find myself on the fence regarding a lot of these topics...

I love to see new patterns, but there's several old patterns that I'd like to see produced again...

Small runs and SFOs really appeal to collectors, but I have grown weary of trying to get any of them.

Personally I'd love to see more stainless (doesn't have to be super steel). I'd like to see more 92s & 79s. The 29 has me very excited.

Regardless of what I want or think is a genius idea, I ultimately just wish for GEC to stay successful, and think Bill should continue to follow his own compass. It seems to have worked well so far.

I voted for modern steels, but I'm not a fan of D2. There are much better steels available than either D2 or 440C. From a practical standpoint, given the aged tooling involved, I'd like to see stainless in an easy to work type like AEBL or one of the Sandvik razor blade steels. Stainless 1095 if you will. Easy to work, easy to sharpen, takes a screaming sharp edge. What's not to like? From a user standpoint, I'd like to see some nice powder metallurgy stainless, CPM-154 being on the low end of those. Since that would require new tooling, I suspect it's not on the table.

Regardless of what I want or think is a genius idea, I ultimately just wish for GEC to stay successful, and think Bill should continue to follow his own compass. It seems to have worked well so far.
This is an excellent point, and the reason why my vote should be ignored! :rolleyes:

I don't currently buy GEC products because their wildly successful business model and my (successful for me) consumer style conflict. So I voted for a couple of options that are major reasons I'm not a GEC customer: cost and availability.

I've chosen to commit a fairly low budget to knives, but I like to sample many patterns, so I tend to favor buying many inexpensive knives. And I'm a consumer that likes to do "due diligence" before a purchase, so committing in a "lolly scramble" to a knife yet to be made isn't my style. I'd rather read the opinions of the "early adopters" and then look for models on dealers' shelves.

Y(and Bill Howard's)MMV! :D:thumbsup::cool: That's what makes a horse race.

- GT

35 Scout/camp. A stainless 35 scout would be like seeing a unicorn, so I’d settle with any 35 scout.

Spear/punch/can and bottle opener/Sheepsfoot

Well they're dyed in the wool carbon fans and allegedly their machinery won't stand up to the rigours of making frequent runs of stainless knives...

So, I'd like them to rake in some mega profits to be able to invest in modern equipment to tackle the very obvious interest in stainless options;):D

Patterns? A proper sized Norfolk with long blades, a Sleeveboard, more Eurekas including a Stockman version:cool::cool:

Smaller runs and more variety sounds nice until you consider (just a hypothetical situation, say they decided to make #92s in 20 handle/trim options, with 25 pieces in each configuration) the collectors would just suck them all up within 90 seconds of them becoming available and the rest of us are out of luck.

The fact of the matter is that the demand for GECs are so high right now, that less, but larger runs is the only way most of us have a chance at landing a fresh knife.

Personally, I voted for less SFOs.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for the #35 440C scout, after I guess I'm after good stainless and new patterns, assuming that we call a scout a new pattern. If not, I'd like to see more artistic looking classic jigging.

It goes without saying that the #35 would be the perfect frame for a Scout/camp knife, almost seems like a no-brainer. I would love to see them make one and I wonder why that hasn't come to fruition. I wonder if it is simply rather expensive for them to make and likely wouldn't get the returns they might hope for.

Different jig patterns and "BETTER" dye jobs would also be appreciated.

I tend to like my steak pink :), but my blood red pocketknives :eek:, not so much! ;)

This is actually something I really have been struggling with, especially after getting my 85 in "Blood Red". The dye job was absolutely horrible. Uneven, washed out, and not what I would call "Blood red". I would really like them to maintain some level of consistency and if they end up with a few in a run that don't make the cut, mark them as seconds.

No option for Lambsfoot?! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

I think we are in agreement, Jack, they certainly should make the Lambsfoot pattern a priority. ;)

I vote for a pattern like a saddlehorn and a sowbelly. I like my girls with curves.

I have yet to experience a Sowbelly. The few black box Winchesters that I have had an eye on have slipped through my fingers. That being said, I find the shape immensely pleasing to the eye and I would be thrilled if GEC were to produce one.

I often find myself on the fence regarding a lot of these topics...

I love to see new patterns, but there's several old patterns that I'd like to see produced again...

Small runs and SFOs really appeal to collectors, but I have grown weary of trying to get any of them.

Personally I'd love to see more stainless (doesn't have to be super steel). I'd like to see more 92s & 79s. The 29 has me very excited.

I agree with pretty much everything you stated, especially the last line. I am indifferent when it comes to steel choices (as long as it isn't junk). Small runs and numerous SFOs are part of the game and I do not see them going away anytime soon. They have their place in the industry and hobby and though I am somewhat over the rat race, I do like that there is a mechanism in place for dealers or individuals to be able to see some of their visions come to life.

47s in both the viper and farm and Field versions. Both in 1095.:D

Back