1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What would you most like from GEC in 2019?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Camillus, Dec 12, 2018.

What would you like to see from GEC in 2019?

1. New patterns

2. More variety in handle materials in the existing patterns

3. ‘Modern’ traditional blade steels e.g. D2, and stainless

4. Larger runs so there is less pressure to buy immediately

5. Less SFOs

6. More SFOs

7. Sprint runs of smaller total knife numbers

8. Better jigging patterns

9. Lower prices on GEC knives

10. Smaller runs and more variety

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    I'd like them to make the single blade sheepsfoot #47 in NifeBrite acrylic again. I waited too long to order one last time around, and next thing I knew the dealers were all sold out. This knife wouldn't even be for me, it would be for my daughter as I think the straight edge will make her sharpening lessons easier to understand. And I know she'd get a kick out of having a glow in the dark knife.

2. dpowers311

dpowers311

Jan 23, 2014
    Another run of 83’s.

Pinemoon and DelOro like this.
  3. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    A Sheepsfoot 47 in Tidioute and Northfield trim would also be a hoot.

4. WoodManGM

WoodManGM

May 24, 2017
    92s. Single blade or two blade. Spear or Wharncliffe. Bone or Micarta or wood or stag or acrylic. Don't care. I want 'em all.

GE Jr and Stropping Young Lad like this.
  5. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Since we know they will run some 15s, I would vote for some more "electrician" or "farmboy" variants.

It's easy to forget that just a couple years ago, dealers and fans were asking GEC to increase production numbers, and they have certainly listened. Some dealers had virtually no stock of any patterns. This phenomenon of stock sitting available is a recent one, and to assume that a certain pattern is unpopular due to this might not necessarily be accurate. I am at a loss to try to explain 366 OD green Calf Pen Jacks...:)

Still, it seem to me that dealers are really planning ahead with such heavy order numbers on the 97. But, they might be thinking that it might be nice to have some stock remaining in a couple of years to sell to new fans. In the grand scheme of "production numbers" tho, even 1000 of something is still not really all that many, over the course of years anyway.

6. sitflyer

sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    Moar Powderhorns lol :thumbsup:

7. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Couple of years ago there was a member trying to sell off his massive powderhorn collection he would post half a dozen each week and very few buyers came forward.

sitflyer likes this.
  8. Stropping Young Lad

Dec 11, 2012
    I’d love another run of electricians.

9. Kiteman72

Jan 22, 2015
    When I got into GEC (about Jan 2015), there were electricians on CKs site, just sitting there. For DAYS!

I just sat on my hands until they were gone. Oh bitter hindsight, haha!

Cutfinger and DelOro like this.
  10. Stropping Young Lad

Dec 11, 2012
    I had one and sold it for an embarrassingly low amount. Wish I could get that one back!

Kiteman72 likes this.
  11. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Stronger snap and no weak pulls. This trend towards weaker pulls and some with anemic closing has to end.

12. Kiteman72

Jan 22, 2015
    I finally voted, so I could see the results, and I think they are pretty interesting.

Dealers apparently agree with the majority, as reflected by the pre orders for the 97.
    They have to be thinking years in advance, because the huge numbers will keep many collectors away, and the 97 is not really designed with the modern user in mind (IMO).

13. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    No more nail-breakers! If I can't open it, it's useless. :p

Seriously, though. An ideal pull strength would be an easy pull to the half stop, and then a firm snap to the open position.

GE Jr, Pinemoon, Cutfinger and 4 others like this.
  14. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    all I want from GEC is more runs of the 2 blade #61 with some manner of acrylic sides. THAT is it

15. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I used to love knives with strong pulls and a loud/strong snap open.
    Now that my right index finger is swollen and twisted with arthritis, I like softer pulls and a mild snap open.
    I voted for "larger runs" with the hope that more knives would sit on the dealer's shelves for longer periods of time. That way I'd have a chance to hear reviews of the knives before I had to rush and purchase one that I "think" I might like. I know the F&F will be there, I know the size and style of knives that I like, but you can't judge pull strength from a picture. You have to wait for reviews or purchase the knife and cross your fingers.

Shurke, JB in SC and r8shell like this.
  16. Jathes

Jathes Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Handle material variety. Blue bone and blue micarta as a start.

17. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    If you had asked me last year what pattern I wanted, I probably would have said the 82. Now I'm pimping for the 62 ... c'mon GEC!

18. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I'd like to see GEC make another run of #79 3-blade Montana Workhorse Whittlers. At 3 3/4" it makes for an easy carry knife but is very stout; thereby, making it a good, solid, work knife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but of course, Howard will probably never re-introduce a practical working knife again.

19. Stropping Young Lad

Dec 11, 2012
    That’s probably the easiest Whittler to make due to not being a splitback. I could see it coming back in some form.

Travman likes this.
  20. DelOro

DelOro Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Wow! Nice knife Ed :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That could easily replace a couple (maybe 3) of knives I currently use.

That one was before my time. The only #79 Workhorse I've seen is the 2 blade opposite end.

Another run of those would be great and has my full support!

- Del

Travman and Modoc ED like this.