What ya think 0470 or GM Sonoma(Choose for me)

Which one

• Sonoma

Votes: 17 54.8%

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Similar knives and price point. Which do you like better?

I’m thinking the Sonoma(made by Reate) would be the better performer being 18 thousands behind the edge at the tip 15 thousandths down the rest of the blade. I’d guess the 0470 while a looker would be 20-25 thousands. The 0470 with the angled handle and marbles cf is quite the looker.
Hard to choose between them so I’m gonna go with the out come of the poll. Choose for me! Thank you
92156FBF-3094-4239-894D-EDE18C6A4302.jpeg
86BE74BA-31D8-474E-932A-4698A0AF8B5B.jpeg 1B5CAA71-F5FD-4898-AABD-20D0811935EC.jpeg

Tough call... I have the Kershaw Atmos which is the cheaped shrunken version of the 470, and I love it. Would love to the have real deal version.
I also have a Viper Knives Voxnaes Balone TI which is very similar in specs to the GM. I vote for get both.. but the GMs will run out before the 470s. So I say GM now, 470 later.

Tuff call, I own the 470 freaking love it. The carbon fiber inlay is really attractive to me but I'm a carbon fiber junkie.

470...im biased because I own 2...lol
Beautiful knife for sure I’ve been waiting for a factory custom or another version but I doubt ones coming that and I think it’s rather thick behind the edge for what it’s indtended use

Beautiful knife for sure I’ve been waiting for a factory custom or another version but I doubt ones coming that and I think it’s rather thick behind the edge for what it’s indtended use
It may be a bit thick behind the edge (as ZTs are it seems) but I've never had trouble cutting anything with any of my ZTs, including my 0562cf. If I need something really slicey I'll pull a sliceier blade out (I usually carry 2 knives). Lol

Sonoma all the way. It may just be the best Giant Mouse knife made to date. And it definitely stacks up against the 0470 (though it is a very good knife in its own right).

That ZT doesn’t look very hand-friendly at all. :thumbsdown: Looks like 10 miles of angles and hot spots. Other one looks like it would melt in the hand like buttah.

I think I’d lean toward the ZT. It’s lighter, yet with a longer blade. The stock is 2/100” THINNER than the GM, but with similar ergos all around. With those dimensions, I have to wonder if the ZT isn’t the better slicer. I don’t think Reate has ever made a “slicer”.

I’ve been eyeing an 0470 since they came out.

Besides, I basically already have a GM Sonoma in the form of a GM3 with a really well executed liner lock.

I’d look at a customized 0470 though, like the ones at USAMadeBlade
7FA500EA-1D80-47EA-BCE2-B81E4FA16EE8.jpeg

I wasn’t too interested in the 0470 until I got one in hand. Wow, what an awesome knife. It’s been on my wish list ever since.

Difficult choice
I already have a 0470 so I will not get the sonoma but otherwise I may have the same question ;)

The 0470 is an honorable slicer, nothing wrong on this model
The pocket clip works fine
There is no hotspot
The flipping action is very good
It is small in the pocket while offering a 3.4” blade (very impressive performance here)
The access to the lock bar for disengaging the lock up is very good

Is has a less neutral handle and it favours a saver grip but you find jumping exactly where you need it

Really nothing wrong on it

If you like the aesthetics with the fine killings on the frame and marbled carbon fibre you can got for it without much hesitations

Considering the look of this knife it is a mid-gentleman carry knife

Just to add to the discussion I think the mass drop Gent can also be a good choice for a small gentleman carry
Not as robust as the 2 others but still an interesting EDC

I have both and the similarities make it a tough call. To me, both feel about the same in hand. Some notable differences:

ZT0470
- a little lighter of the two thanks to the milled out scales.
- slightly thinner blade stock but slightly thicker BTE.
- flipping action is good, but not the typical crisp ZT action as in the 0452 and 0562. Definitely not as crisp as the Sonoma.
- the clip can be replaced with after-market deep carry clips. I use MXG which blends with the aesthetics of 0470 nicely.

Sonoma (I have the tumbled SW handle with satin blade)
- a tad bit heavier due in part to the solid Ti scales. A bit more solid feeling compared to the 0470.
- flipping action is excellent. Blade fires out fast and hard with a sharp snap.
- one of the best flipper tabs I've handled. Comfortable and very effective, contributing to the excellent action.
- forefinger choil
- only one T8 bit is required to disassemble the entire knife.
- well made pocket clip but I haven't been able to find a deep carry pocket clip option. About an 1" sticks out your pocket.

At the moment, I prefer the Sonoma mostly due to aesthetics and flipping action. However one big con to me is the lack of deep carry pocket clip option.

Here's a pic of mine after I had lightly polished the scales with Flitz just bring out a little luster from the originally flat matte finish. I also lightly polished the clip to tone down the brass yellow anodized color.
Q7d0aTUh.jpg

Last edited:
You really can't go wrong with either.

I voted 470. Aesthetics and country of origin for the 470 tipped the scales for me.

That ZT doesn’t look very hand-friendly at all. :thumbsdown: Looks like 10 miles of angles and hot spots. Other one looks like it would melt in the hand like buttah.
Not even close to a hot spot on it. 470 for me. My favorite knife to fondle and fidget with and cuts like dream. No doubt the Sonoma would be great but also the fact that the ZT is US made.

Back