What year is my 171UH?

My dad passed away and I received a Schrade-Walden Uncle Henry 171UH with Sheath and sharpening stone. The serial no. is 00990. When was it manufactured. It has the birds head pummel and carbon steel blade. Thank you for any information .

I will take a guess; if the tang stamp is a "Schrade - Walden" stamp, I will say 1973-74... Ken
medium

Last edited:
I'm with Ken. That low of a serial number would likely be a Schrade - Walden making it a 1973 knife.

Birds head pommel, under 1000 # and SW stamp I'm going with pre-73.

The 1971 and 1972 catalogs show the knife with bird head pommel. The 1973 catalog does not. Manufacturing dates do not always coincide perfectly with catalog descriptions, but I would be quite sure that knife pre-dates any part of 1973.

From my research of serial numbers of other Schrade and Schrade Walden knives I believe that whenever a change occurred in the knife or tang stamp, the serial number sequence started over. There are Schrade Walden 171UHs with BH pommel and flat pommel that have higher numbers than this SCHRADE stamped knife with serial number 02129. From Codger's research, they made about 10,000 of these 171UHs per year. This low number on this knife place it for 1973 manufacture.

V3Vlb2N.jpg

ZLLQBpG.jpg

These are my "before" shots . . . gonna do a light clean up on this one, as well as the sheath. Anyone know where I could get a snap strap for this sheath? The original is gone.

Here is the "after" photo of my cleanup. I'm happy with it. Oh, and I found a replacement snap strap for it on the bay.

HZrojL8.jpg

I have not, d, but have heard of others doing it. I'm afraid I'm too clumsy to chance it. ;)

Back