What you look for in Busse vs other knife companies...

Cobalt

Gold Member
So, instead of the typical thread based on what knife someone likes, I thought I would state what I look for in Busse vs what I look for in other companies. This just came to me last night thinking about the new fussion huck fin. Then see what your take is on this because I am sure we all buy other brands of knife, especially, ahem, folders, as we don't really have a choice.

So With Busse, I never have to worry about the steel or handle material. I know it is top quality and fits my liking. So the design of a specific knife is what I am in search of. Regardless of the design, does it fit my taste and my usage. I am sure most of you are in that boat. I don't look at it from a collection standpoint, but from a preference standpoint.

However, with other knife brands, and I will specifically mention the two that I like in the folding knife world, Spyderco and Zero tolerance, I look at it differently. To me the design of these folders is partially important, but I am always looking at what steel they will use. If I see S30V I almost always pass on it. 35VN, Elmax, Cruwear, etc peak my interest if the design fits. cpm3V sucks me right in as does 52100 and 5160 or even D2. I love ATS34 and 154cm and even 440C if done right. But the steel is a major part of the package and I have passed on many beautiful and useful spyderco's because of the steel that was used.

How about you guys. Do you even care what steel the folders you buy, have? is it a major part of your decision making like it is mine. I would be happy if every folding knife came with cpm3V or z-tuff. I would not even worry about steel, but I am not sure why these companies find it difficult to make knives out of these steels.

My favorite folding knife steel is CTS-204P.
I've had about all of them, and I just love 204p. I have a Military in both 52100 and 204p. I like the 204p better. As a matter of fact, that green KW 204p Millie has been the most perfect knife I've ever had from Spyserco. Ive also had the s110v vedsion, as well as s30v, cruwear and thats it I think. (Just Militaries)However, I would love to see both Spyderco and ZT, use more 3V and especially would love to see 4V start making the rounds.
Also, huge props to cpm 10V! This is an incredible folding knife steel too...
Yeah, so for folding knife steel, my top 2 would be 204p and 10v.

Last edited:
I get gifted a folder not of my choosing but decent stuff every year of so, my last was a Spyderco endura, and it's decent enough for whatever but I need a folder for that I never even think about folders

Honestly several factors are changing my knife habits, chief being that as of September 1 all knives are legal to carry in Texas, second being that I cannot EDC because new job doesn't allow knives (mental hospitals).

I like Busse Combat blades because they are big, thick and the toughest blade steel on the planet. And they are full tang+ and I love that!

My choice in knives depend on the intend use, the quality of craftsmanship and materials, and the ergonomics of the knife. Busse's are fantastic for what they are, heavy use fixed blades that are basically bomb proof. That makes them not the best of slicers and they don't have the best edge geometries, but there is a lot to be said about not having to worry about the knife and being finicky with it while in the woods. Folders are entirely different story, they don't need to be beat on, at least for my uses. For folders I like high quality materials, high quality craftsmanship, excellent ergos, and great action.

Sorry for the poor quality video, but hopefully you get the idea. I have gone through a lot of folders over the last few years, and I have managed to really get a feel for what I like / keep and don't.

Last edited:
I collect Busse knives. Really like the older ones. Basically, this is the only knife I collect. Great knives with a great history. I bet I have 35 Busse right now, probably more.

I have owned probably 200 plus Spyderco's over the last 20 years and I certainly love to try different steels. But steel is not a deciding factor. I have a Spyderco Shaman with a SE in S30V in my pocket now and think this knife is amazing. I am more into the overall design of a folder than the steel. I am guessing I have 50 plus Spyderco's laying around right now.

I will buy other brands of knives or an occasional custom knife if it looks like a good design. I probably have another 30 random knives in this category.

So over all design is my number one buying motivation. The design of course must be executed with good materials and workmanship, including proper heat treat! In folders I prefer a good stainless and in a big Fixed I prefer a tougher tool type steel. But small fixed blades in Stainless are very useful.

For folders I check for steel as well. 204p is my favorite. Elmax is the lowest I’ll go. 90% of my folders are ZT’s. The other 10% are Benchmades. For the Busses I know I already love the steel and ergos so I check for a design or size that I’m currently looking for.

So first off I choose companies with great customer service. ZT/Kershaw come to mind for knives. Osprey, Gregory, ULA for packs. Dutchwear, Hammock Gear for hammocks. REI for camping if I’m not going through a vendor. These people build great products and if there is ever an issue they make things right. Ruffwear for my dog and Hydroflask for drinking are a few more. I don’t care how great a product is if CS doesn’t make it right if something does happen they don’t get my business.

As for folders design is a the first part. I don’t care how magical the steel is if the design doesn’t fit it doesn’t get bought. Steel and price are next. If the design is great but the other two are out of whack it doesn’t get bought.

The Spydie hole on the PM2 and Manix2 have made those two blades almost exclusive EDC's for me. The hole is large enough that I can easily open it one handed with gloves on.
I have them in many different steels but the model is the most important to me

As a retired engineer who once was manager over a large utility's materials testing lab I like functional design, everything you need and nothing you don't. That is why I ordered my first Busse in 1994, and many more afterward. My favorite handle material remains black canvas because I think it is the perfect combination of durability and "grippiness". That is also why I gravitate to the thinner blades. I have almost quit buying now, because of my age, but that's ok because the exotic handle materials and blades with features for only appearance are not really my thing anyway, although they are very nice.

Well I expect Busse to make an awesome fixed blade, which they have never disappointed me in. As far as folders go, I am into Zero Tolerance, Benchmade and Chris Reeves. I only have two Chris Reeves, one Seb 21 and an Unumzaan, but hey I would rather drop 500 dollars on another Busse. I don't really have the gear to sharpen super steels so I'm not really picky as far as blade steel is concerned. I carry a ZT 301 regularly. I suppose the tiger stripes are kind of gimmicky, but its as close to a Busse folder as I can imagine , I'm not about to buy a Medford.

56B8D7BC-262F-4243-84AF-CC1D88043406.jpeg I also like my Hinderer’s. They really compliment Busse. I like Cmp 154 and S35vn in my folders, if I have the choice. This all Ti Spanto in 20cv looks like a mini Huck Fin

Last edited:
Not really on topic but my chief consideration in a folder is light weight and fast one handed opening. Followed by cost under $100 because I enevitably loose anything not in a sheath.

I look for the same qualities in other knives as I do in Busse's, it just so happens that Busse does performance, function and aesthetic better than anyone. I also like my benchmade afck and emerson vindicator, but those are folders, and in fixed blades other than Busse I like old school forged blades, especially with exotic materials - damascus steels, fossil and exotic wood scales, exotic leather sheaths and whatnot. But for my tastes and needs, Busse and kin cover 90% of the bases.

As a retired engineer who once was manager over a large utility's materials testing lab I like functional design, everything you need and nothing you don't. That is why I ordered my first Busse in 1994, and many more afterward. My favorite handle material remains black canvas because I think it is the perfect combination of durability and "grippiness". That is also why I gravitate to the thinner blades. I have almost quit buying now, because of my age, but that's ok because the exotic handle materials and blades with features for only appearance are not really my thing anyway, although they are very nice.

I also only tend to typically buy useful EDC type Busse blades. Lots of the large blades don't really capture much of my interest except for some of the swords, but they tend to be collector's items.

Last edited:
Back