What you need to know if you use ivory for knives, or buy, sell knives with ivory

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by Mark Knapp, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Dec 20, 2009
    This is a thread about the use of legal ivory, not about alternatives. Your question would be better elsewhere.

2. Mark Knapp

Dec 20, 2009
  3. foxdoublegunner

foxdoublegunner

Aug 20, 2010
    Fellow members-I still see a number of knives offered for sale with various forms of ivory handles. The latest patchwork of federal and state laws are confusing so I am hoping that some of the more experienced members of the community can assist. To my reading, some sort of verification of provenance of the ivory is required when buying/selling items with ivory. What is considered sufficient in the eyes of the law for meeting this? In your experience, when knives are bought/sold which have ivory handles, are buyers, as a rule, provided with some evidence of provenance? In other words is it an expected part of the transaction and if not are person to person transfers still lawful for interstate and intrastate transaction? Is there any distinction made for person to person versus commercial sale (regular occurring). I am particularly interested in the current laws on ivory trade with regards to the states of Nevada and California and the links to legislation are not entirely clear. It is not my intention to stir up a “hornets nest” with the question. I just want to understand before making a decision concerning the legality of purchasing an ivory handled knife. Thank you in advance for your perspectives.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  4. ZhangHua

ZhangHua

Sep 7, 2020
    I am disapproved that knives that made by whale ivory, baleen and bone. No buying, no killing. Protecting ainimals is protecting ourseves.

5. Allan DeGroot

Allan DeGroot

Jun 15, 2019
    While I agree that "killing an animal to get the Ivory" is morally wrong, I think it is the height of STUPIDITY to BAN the Use of parts of animals that died of their own accord, Thousands or even TENS of Thousands of Years ago.

I THINK PEOPLE stupid enough TO ban THE USE OF Mammoth Ivory or Interpret International treaties so as to ban the use of Ambergris (which is found washed up on Beaches and does not normally involve killing a Whale) in Perfume is even MORE STUPID (And I doubted that was even possible!)

6. Mark Knapp

Dec 20, 2009
    Provenance is as simple as the sales receipt that says "fossil walrus ivory" or whatever you have, but whatever you can provide is better. After that, it's the responsibility of the regulatory authority (USF&W, Troopers, etc.) to prove that it isn't what the receipt says it is. Whenever I sell raw ivory or a knife with ivory on it, I provide a certificate of authenticity with it that says what the material is. It should be a regular part of the transaction where ivory is concerned.

There is no distinction made between person to person and commercial sales. Everyone has to abide by the same rules.

California and Nevada have some of the strictest laws concerning ivory sales within the state. You cannot buy, sell, trade or barter any ivory withing the state. It is legal to own ivory and if you own ivory it's legal to bring it into the state.

7. Mark Knapp

Dec 20, 2009
    This thread is not for debating the use of animal parts as I stated in my OP. It's for making the laws concerning animals available. I don't want it muddied up with arguments. Please bring your argument elsewhere.

8. foxdoublegunner

foxdoublegunner

Aug 20, 2010
    Sir,
    Thank you for providing me with information.

Regards,
    Foxdoublegunner

9. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    Regarding the reuse of old ivory scrap... and purchase/shipping... I am curious whether or not I could buy salvaged piano key veneer from eBay and then send it to a custom knife maker out of state, then on to another state for scrimshaw, and finally back to me. Depends on the individual state laws I suppose. Or have they become more consistent? I am in WA State by the way. A maker may be in Utah and a scrimshander in Maine or Massachusetts. Just hypothetically.

10. Mark Knapp

Dec 20, 2009
    I have bought salvaged piano key veneer on eBay years ago, as far as I know it has been banned on there for a few years now, haven't seen it there for a while. They have a very strict policy concerning ivory on eBay.

To answer your question, as far as I know, it is only against the law to "Import for the purpose of resale" ivory into even the strictest states. So, according to that, it would not be illegal to ship ivory to a knife maker or scrimshander in a state where the sale of ivory has been banned for the purpose of having it worked. It would be illegal for a knife maker or scrimshander in one of those states to buy it, work it and sell it to you. None of the four states you mentioned have at this time restricted the use of ivory.

11. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    Thanks! It is still currently found on eBay but the sellers are careful not to use the "I" word.

12. Mark Knapp

Dec 20, 2009
    Ahh, got it.

Codger_64 likes this.