Whatcha got on order? (Traditional Knives Only)

Well... I tried to stick a > In the link, but nothing seemed to work. If you click on it it will take you to the page.....

Finally took care of a knife that has long been on the want list. She's not mint, but that's ok as I didn't pay the price for a mint one.

This is the seller's pic. I'll post up my own once I have it in hand.

37824331735_714e19b258_c.jpg

Got 2 on the way. Trying to get back into traditionals a little bit. The first is a GEC Northfield 72 Yellow Rose. I've always wanted a yellow rose and the 72 so happens to be my favorite pattern.
cu4RJDv.jpg

The second is this awesome Case single blade mini trapper with a wharncliffe blade made of beautiful Devin Thomas ladder damascus. Just stumbled upon it and couldn't pass it up.
BXffZWJ.jpg

A Katz stockman with drop point main blade and amber bone-stag covers. This knife is made under contract for Katz in Japan. The fit and finish are said to be top notch by Stefan Schmalhaus, whose reviews I always appreciate.

The blades are AUS 8 hardened to 58-59. AUS8 is as close to "stainless with carbon steel performance" as anything I have found. Easily takes that same very fine edge and holds it about as well as 1095 treated to the same hardness. IMO it's one of the most underrated blade alloys in common use. Uncommon to find it in a traditional pattern.

I've had one on my want list for several years. Not carried by a lot of dealers. But some dealer who does carry it had a Black Friday discount thing going over the weekend. And that was that.

I have high hopes for this knife.

A Katz stockman with drop point main blade and amber bone-stag covers. This knife is made under contract for Katz in Japan. The fit and finish are said to be top notch by Stefan Schmalhaus, whose reviews I always appreciate.

The blades are AUS 8 hardened to 58-59. AUS8 is as close to "stainless with carbon steel performance" as anything I have found. Easily takes that same very fine edge and holds it about as well as 1095 treated to the same hardness. IMO it's one of the most underrated blade alloys in common use. Uncommon to find it in a traditional pattern.

I've had one on my want list for several years. Not carried by a lot of dealers. But some dealer who does carry it had a Black Friday discount thing going over the weekend. And that was that.

I have high hopes for this knife.

To me, it seems not long ago a lot of modern knives used AUS 8.... maybe late 90s. My only traditional with AUS 8 is the Moki blakiston's fish owl. I got it recently and haven't had a chance to really form an opinion. The factory edge is as good as the factory edge on most Spydercos. Much better than the factory edges that I've gotten other traditional knives regardless of the steel.

The fit and finish looks really good in Stefan's video (hadn't heard of him until I read your post). I'm tempted by this knife, especially with stag covers. But if you are picky about stag like me, it is always hit or miss (mostly miss) from any production brand and most of the dealers only use stock photos. I did find a few showing actual photos but unfortunately those were misses. The stag in the stock photo is real nice. The amber bone looks consistently good in the actual photos that I've seen.

Looks like a nice knife. I look forward to your comments when you get it.

Stefan is one of the best knife reviewers: always properly conducted, no irritating inarticulate mutterings and a thorough analysis of the knife's qualities.

I tend to feel that if he approves of a knife then it's likely to be very decent quality, but, he alllows you to make up your own mind in his reviews.

Thanks, Will

I'm tempted by this knife, especially with stag covers. The stag in the stock photo is real nice. The amber bone looks consistently good in the actual photos that I've seen.

Looks like a nice knife. I look forward to your comments when you get it.

Just as a side-bar, I'm not sure that actual stag is an option. Both are called "stag bone" on the Katz web site; and on their web site, both are listed with the same MSRP, which of course is a lot more than the street price. Seemed a bit odd to me.

Stefan is one of the best knife reviewers: always properly conducted, no irritating inarticulate mutterings and a thorough analysis of the knife's qualities.

I tend to feel that if he approves of a knife then it's likely to be very decent quality, but, he alllows you to make up your own mind in his reviews.

Thanks, Will

I should clarify that it's not unusual for me not to know a reviewer since I generally look to you guys! For modern knives, I'll sometimes look for a video just to see additional angles or the mechanics in use. But I generally fast forward to the part that I want to see and the sound is typically turned off. I did watch this one all the way through with the sound on and that's uncommon for me.

Just as a side-bar, I'm not sure that actual stag is an option. Both are called "stag bone" on the Katz web site; and on their web site, both are listed with the same MSRP, which of course is a lot more than the street price. Seemed a bit odd to me.

Thanks. At first glance, it looks more like elk than sambar stag but one of the dealers called it "stag". It might be bone. I'll have to give that a closer look.

I have two coming...
Another Camillus 23 jack, and a Shrade Walden 881Y.
The 23 because I love the one I already have, and this one is supposedly unsharpened. I have been daydreaming about rehandling the old one with some ironwood I have.

The Stockman because I have been wanting one in yellow delrin to match my trapper which was always in my pocket for 30 years.

Last edited:
I just purchased this 89:

(This one will be joining my other bone/stag 89s. I haven't had time to get a group shot that includes my last acquisition.) :cool::cool::cool:

You have great taste in knives, Vaporstang. I always enjoy seeing your stellar pics of your acquisitions. Good stuff!

Back