Whatcha got on order? (Traditional Knives Only)

Buck 303 Single Blade Sawcut Black Delrin. I am not sure how uncommon these are or if I paid too much, but it was missing from my collection :cool: (sellers' pic, more to follow on the Buck forum ... and here... when it arrives).

Buck 303 Single Blade Sawcut Black Delrin. I am not sure how uncommon these are or if I paid too much, but it was missing from my collection :cool: (sellers' pic, more to follow on the Buck forum ... and here... when it arrives).

300Bucks 300Bucks will know.
Date code says it's an '89.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/buck-date-codes.716179/

which MIGHT be before they started using the 3-spring design. Buck started making 303's in-house in ~1985, but I seem to remember they started out making a two spring design similar to the prior Camillus-made knives, then went to 3 springs in something like ~91?

300Bucks 300Bucks will know.
Date code says it's an '89.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/buck-date-codes.716179/

which MIGHT be before they started using the 3-spring design. Buck started making 303's in-house in ~1985, but I seem to remember they started out making a two spring design similar to the prior Camillus-made knives, then went to 3 springs in something like ~91?

Thanks for the info! I am always learning about these knives, and will get some better views when I receive it.

A very clean Buck 119 with a new factory left handed leather sheath, my first 119 and the same year as my first ever Buck knife so I'm very excited.

That is an interesting knife. I just woke up and don't have all my wits just yet but isn't the 303 usually a 3 blade knife?

The blade is marked '89 and is 425 steel. The rest appears 89, except as noted on the three blades. There have been some single blade 303's made at the factory but my poor memory is saying they were post '89. But then again.... The blade is unsharpened, bolster pins appear original and factory finished. I will have to research the one blades I know exist. Did it come with box ? Could have found freedom in lunch box or a few made up from parts for employee/factory sales. Also Chuck Buck had 300's made up from extra parts to send to missionaries, where a knife was a valuable tool to their flock. However they generally ground a large notch on the end of one side of one bolster to discourage resale. Of the single blades I am sure of, there were a set of four. Delrin,Dymondwood,Rosewood Chairman and Yellow.

Somewhere we just had a discussion on 300 series ID, and it focused on the 303. Start ID from outside and then look in, especially in photos not showing all sides. This knife,in question, has proper tang stamp, proper open ended hammer handle shield, proper square'ish shaped bolster ends and a brass rivet. Which goes with a 89 brass liner version. Blade positions and shapes then started to come into play as changes started. Besides factory single blades, I have seen one blade Camillus contract versions that were done by knife craftsmen ( not cobbled up) and I had a set of three stockmen made up without the spey blades trying to convince factory to make some thin, one spring version with clip and warcliff bladed 300s. The example I sent in likely went in someone's pocket and I never heard a peep back.

A rarely found version, not already in someone's collection and apparently made at factory. Did you pay too much, not if you really wanted it...ha 300Bucks

EDIT: This is photo of the 'new' set (2010) I was thinking of.
standard.jpg

Last edited:
A Katz stockman with drop point main blade and amber bone-stag covers. This knife is made under contract for Katz in Japan. The fit and finish are said to be top notch by Stefan Schmalhaus, whose reviews I always appreciate.

The blades are AUS 8 hardened to 58-59. AUS8 is as close to "stainless with carbon steel performance" as anything I have found. Easily takes that same very fine edge and holds it about as well as 1095 treated to the same hardness. IMO it's one of the most underrated blade alloys in common use. Uncommon to find it in a traditional pattern.

I've had one on my want list for several years. Not carried by a lot of dealers. But some dealer who does carry it had a Black Friday discount thing going over the weekend. And that was that.

I have high hopes for this knife.
Have you received you knife? I’m eager to hear what you think.

Fontenille-Pataud XS 9cm locking Laguiole in Blonde horn. No more knife budget now, that's for sure:eek::eek::D
I've been looking at those for longer then I like to admit. Sooner or later I'll take the plunge. Lovely knife. I look forward to seeing it and your comments.

The blade is marked '89 and is 425 steel. The rest appears 89, except as noted on the three blades. There have been some single blade 303's made at the factory but my poor memory is saying they were post '89. But then again.... The blade is unsharpened, bolster pins appear original and factory finished. I will have to research the one blades I know exist. Did it come with box ? Could have found freedom in lunch box or a few made up from parts for employee/factory sales. Also Chuck Buck had 300's made up from extra parts to send to missionaries, where a knife was a valuable tool to their flock. However they generally ground a large notch on the end of one side of one bolster to discourage resale. Of the single blades I am sure of, there were a set of four. Delrin,Dymondwood,Rosewood Chairman and Yellow.

Somewhere we just had a discussion on 300 series ID, and it focused on the 303. Start ID from outside and then look in, especially in photos not showing all sides. This knife,in question, has proper tang stamp, proper open ended hammer handle shield, proper square'ish shaped bolster ends and a brass rivet. Which goes with a 89 brass liner version. Blade positions and shapes then started to come into play as changes started. Besides factory single blades, I have seen one blade Camillus contract versions that were done by knife craftsmen ( not cobbled up) and I had a set of three stockmen made up without the spey blades trying to convince factory to make some thin, one spring version with clip and warcliff bladed 300s. The example I sent in likely went in someone's pocket and I never heard a peep back.

A rarely found version, not already in someone's collection and apparently made at factory. Did you pay too much, not if you really wanted it...ha 300Bucks

EDIT: This is photo of the 'new' set (2010) I was thinking of.
standard.jpg

Thanks! I will post some close-ups when I get it.

A Katz stockman with drop point main blade
Have you received you knife? I’m eager to hear what you think.

I have, and I haven't.
The knife has arrived and I've given it a cursory once over, but it's for my birthday next week, so I've not given it a detailed inspection. Fit and finish seem very good, springs are on the soft side, maybe a 4. More details forthcoming once I officially get the knife.

Maher & Frosh Yankee Whittier in antique yellow bone.
Should have been delivered yesterday, but USPS messed up somehow so it has only left IS today.

I've been looking at those for longer then I like to admit. Sooner or later I'll take the plunge. Lovely knife. I look forward to seeing it and your comments.

Certainly will Gary! But with the perm dark here (it's 14.10 and already getting dark again yet the longest night is still not with us:eek::mad:) getting a credible picture will be a task in itself. Hoping to get it before Christmas, a present to myself under the tree if the Cat doesn't make off with it or topple the tree like last year:D

Waiting is interesting but exhausting;)

Back