Whatcha got on order? (Traditional Knives Only)

Just speaking from experience, I have never had custom work completed on schedule and double the estimate was not a joke.

Thanks to all for the encouragement....

While this is not what I would call a true "custom" knife, I believe he pretty much just makes them as they are ordered. He has a list of standard offerings, like A.Wright does, but he is a one man show, and doesn't appear to have any knives in stock.... I believe he just makes them as fast as he can. I looked on his website again, and now he's predicting 6 weeks wait.

I understand patience is a virtue.... I'm not as virtuous as I should be... :(:(:(:(:(

I'm still waiting for my Bocote wood scale lambfoot from Michael May in Sheffield. I was told it would be about a 4 week wait, and it's been almost 4 weeks now... I hope the quality is what I expect it to be....
I would like to know your review of that knife. Been thinking about ordering a lambfoot Barlow from him.

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

I would like to know your review of that knife. Been thinking about ordering a lambfoot Barlow from him.

I will be happy to post a review of it... I'm really looking forward to getting it. I wanted to find one of the Trevor Ablett knives, but they are the closest thing to a "unicorn" that I've searched for.
I'm hoping that Michael May is going to be the next "Trevor"... I read that he ended up with most of Mr Ablett's tools and workbench stuff. There are a couple of videos out that show Michael May working on a knife.. interesting story.

I will be happy to post a review of it... I'm really looking forward to getting it. I wanted to find one of the Trevor Ablett knives, but they are the closest thing to a "unicorn" that I've searched for.
I'm hoping that Michael May is going to be the next "Trevor"... I read that he ended up with most of Mr Ablett's tools and workbench stuff. There are a couple of videos out that show Michael May working on a knife.. interesting story.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I too went and did a search on Michael. Saw the video that you mentioned and noted he now uses Trevor's old tools. I just made an inquiry to him for a quote. Funny that you mentioned trying to find a TA knife - I too have been looking. Unobtainium .

20190717_141911-1563369753259.jpg

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I too went and did a search on Michael. Saw the video that you mentioned and noted he now uses Trevor's old tools. I just made an inquiry to him for a quote. Funny that you mentioned trying to find a TA knife - I too have been looking. Unobtainium .

20190717_141911-1563369753259.jpg

If I get another May knife, it will probably be this one... cherry wood scales with the hallmark stamped into the bolster. If they would guarantee I'd get the one with that kind of figure in the wood, I'd buy it today.... :D That's some of the prettiest cherry wood I've seen.... most of what I've seen is fairly straight grained...

Michael May Sheffield lambsfoot barlow. Ramshorn scales (I hope). I hope. Also a large A Wright lambsfoot knife with Cocobolo scales (I think). At least 4-6 weeks wait on the 1st one and the second is due in any day now. Also waiting on the arrival of a Dan Burke small barlow.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Big week coming up, I have a Case/Bose Damascus Norfolk arriving and hopefully my orders for a red 77 Barlow and a red 92 eureka!
Have the Eureka's hit the dealers yet? I haven't heard anything from mine? I missed all the pre-orders, but I was assured we would get emails when they arrived.

I couldn't read who makes this one... what size is it? My one and only is pretty small. I wouldn't mind getting a larger version of it, but cannot justify the expense at this point. They are "pretty" knives...
Honoré Durand. 12cm, which is standard man-sized knife. Getting a leather pocket pouch with it.

I have a Michael May cherry wood lambfoot Barlow on order. I hope that I will get it by the end of October. I note on his website that they are "sold out" which may mean that some of his designs are limited editions.

Was just able to get this one off the exchange today . I have always admired these and really like all of the Bolsters being Stamped . It is #20 of 35 Serialized . There also were 35 that were not Serialized . These are the sellers photos .

Harry
I saw that exact knife and came close to pulling the trigger on it - great looking piece of cutlery. Best of luck with it.

Back