Whatcha got on order? (Traditional Knives Only)

I'm weak.....
pPg1aZk.jpg

This used vintage stag Szankovits slip joint will ship to me tomorrow from Pennsylvania.
Lots of Hungarian immigrants settled in Pennsylvania.
Can't find any new Hungarian knives in the U.S. and will settle for this used one.
Have an email in to Szankovits for any and all info they might share but there's a good possibility they won't even reply. I don't speak Hungarian.
Seller's pics ... and a Szankovits video ...

EDIT: Jolipapa Jolipapa is there any anecdotal info about this knife, you might share? ... And is there anything much revealed in the video besides general knife making stuff?
This is one of the smaller ones from the pattern I think and perhaps one a woman might carry. Dunno, but checks the box for the size I generally carry too.

L52BwGN.jpg

uNVLmJa.jpg

JeaOjzL.jpg

Last edited:
This used vintage stag Szankovits slip joint will ship to me tomorrow from Pennsylvania.
Can't find any new Hungarian knives in the U.S. and will settle for this used one.
Have an email in to Szankovits for any and all info they might share but there's a good possibility they won't even reply. I don't speak Hungarian.

EDIT: Jolipapa Jolipapa is there any anecdotal info about this knife, you might share? ... And is there anything much revealed in the video besides general knife making stuff?
This is one of the smaller ones from the pattern I think and perhaps one a woman might carry. Dunno, but checks the box for the size I generally carry too.
You might also ask in the Bernard Levine Knife Collecting and Identification Forum. There are several European collectors who spend time there and not here.

Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Values, 3rd Edition it seemed a fair price.

the 5th edition was over £400 and from what I read not as good.

not interested in values so much as leaning more about various knife models,origins and uses.

L52BwGN.jpg

uNVLmJa.jpg

JeaOjzL.jpg

Nice one! Szankovits knives are among the best made in Hungary. Unfortunately to get one of his knives you better go to his shop. Szentendre is a very nice old village, north of Budapest in the Danub's loops, very traditional and preserved, well worth a visit. It used to be a place where Serbs and Greeks found refuge when their countries were invaded by the Turkish Empire.
Nothing special in the video, he explains he was born in a family of smithes and makes only traditional knives, with traditional ornaments (sun, moon, his trademark rooster, etc) and scrimshaw (great plain's horsemen, scenes of an inn, farm well, grey longhorns, etc) and uses only "noble" materials for the handles.
Problem with Hungarian cutlers is that most are "old minded" and it is difficult to buy a knife if you're not in the very shop! Even within Europe it is not easy, Paypal still unknown to them. Except Hungarian, they often speak German (300 years of Austrian occupation have left traces... ).

Back