Whatcha got on order ?

Yes , they're proud to list these as swiss made but the fact that those travel clippers have no COO to be found tells me they are probably made in China.

As nice as these may possibly be, I'm not going to trade my US made Bassetts for something that's made in China.
If mine is not made by Vic, then their SAKs are Chinese made. I have the one that has red plastic SAK handles pictured above a few posts. It is essentially a fat Classic with nail clippers and a nail file. There is no reason to have to give anything up or "trade". There is always room for another nail clipper.

As far as country of origin, I couldn't say about the ones pictured earlier. But I believe the clippers I posted a picture of are Swiss made. But I bought the 580 model.

The Vic name is a trademark and some products are not made in Europe. I have a computer bag that was made in China.

Last edited:
If mine is not made by Vic, then their SAKs are Chinese made. I have the one that has red plastic SAK handles pictured above a few posts. It is essentially a fat Classic with nail clippers and a nail file. There is no reason to have to give anything up or "trade". There is always room for another nail clipper.

As far as country of origin, I couldn't say about the ones pictured earlier. But I believe the clippers I posted a picture of are Swiss made. But I bought the 580 model.

The Vic name is a trademark and some products are not made in Europe. I have a computer bag that was made in China.

I'm just talking about that extra slim travel clippers.
I'm sure the model 580 you bought is swiss made and of course the clippers that are advertised as swiss made.

I'm just talking about that extra slim travel clippers.
I'm sure the model 580 you bought is swiss made and of course the clippers that are advertised as swiss made.
You know.... when you look at the cost of nail clippers, the Vic knife-clippers is pretty damn expensive no matter who makes it. I guess you just have to really want one if the nail clipper function is the primary reason for acquiring one.

I have a number of things that are in progress in terms of shipping this week. I seem to go in spurts in terms of buying at online retailers.

I am pondering an order for a new DSLR camera body. They are discontinuing that line (the lens mount) and I really don't like to buy used camera bodies. I don't need the new body. It would be an expensive insurance policy on my chief hobby, photography these days. Basically I feel that I am not apt to change as I grow older in terms of primary equipment. I don't have the coin to try everything that catches my eye.

Last edited:
Ordered some WRIGHT tool 1/4 sockets.
6pt, a 10pc SAE set and an 11pc metric set.
I actually run into more SAE fasteners than I do Metric.

And I bought a small Snapon box to replace the MAC MC1 my 1/4 general purpose kit has outgrown, sold in 1991 as the " party box " and containing a poker set they are actually a legitimate little box made to the same quality as any other snapon box.
They are small but popular with people who cant afford the very rare kra149 or XPL994-6 from the 1960's.

Ordered some WRIGHT tool 1/4 sockets.
6pt, a 10pc SAE set and an 11pc metric set.
I actually run into more SAE fasteners than I do Metric.

And I bought a small Snapon box to replace the MAC MC1 my 1/4 general purpose kit has outgrown, sold in 1991 as the " party box " and containing a poker set they are actually a legitimate little box made to the same quality as any other snapon box.
They are small but popular with people who cant afford the very rare kra149 or XPL994-6 from the 1960's.
I know you like hand tools (the traditional kind and generally US made), what do you do that requires you have keep buying tools other than you want to? You must have quite the tool box or three.

I know you like hand tools (the traditional kind and generally US made), what do you do that requires you have keep buying tools other than you want to? You must have quite the tool box or three.

Just lots of ADD fueled tinkering, and standard DIY stuff that most people use tools for.
Then theres the personal airgun work, some modification but mostly just repairing and rebuilding the vintage airguns I buy that need it, that's where a few more specialty type tools may come into play.

Beyond that I'm just acquiring the tools and knowledge of their use now so I can fix what needs fixing when the time comes.
For example a while back I had a GFI receptacle and some wiring go bad in the bathroom, I didn't have a proper set of crimpers an outlet checker or a voltage tester.
If I already owned them it would have saved a good deal of headache, and I'd like to avoid such a situation happening again.
I love to browse through the local hardware store for fun, but it's not fun trying to find a tool I need in a hurry because I have some urgent repair I'm probably having to learn how to perform on the fly.

It may seem like I have a ton of tools, but I like to build sets over time and in the end theres not as much as there seems to be.
Compiling a WRIGHT tool 1/4 set over time vs spending the $200 all at once helps me afford the American made tools I prefer when I've got other hobbies as well.
I have my grandfather's top box and multiple small hand boxes full of tools, but one standard stack would pretty much hold all the hand tools aside from hammers, saws...ect.

I new pair of pants for my Izula II. The factory sheath’s retention was getting a bit iffy so I ordered a leather sheath to replace it.

Just lots of ADD fueled tinkering, and standard DIY stuff that most people use tools for.
Then theres the personal airgun work, some modification but mostly just repairing and rebuilding the vintage airguns I buy that need it, that's where a few more specialty type tools may come into play.

Beyond that I'm just acquiring the tools and knowledge of their use now so I can fix what needs fixing when the time comes.
I have always wanted a good 1/2" socket set, but the number of times I have needed such in 20 years I could probably count on one hand. I honestly don't enjoy tinkering. Replacing a GFI plug is a pain and you have to pay attention to the wiring. Been there. I do keep voltage testers available.

I was doing some work inside a house (repo) and wondered if the electricity was active where the line comes in from the street. The power was off as far as I knew. The breaker box had been ransacked and a lot of the copper wiring had been removed. Used my tester.... burnt it up as it is not designed for that kind of voltage. But I learned something.

Last edited:
I am pondering an order for a new DSLR camera body. They are discontinuing that line (the lens mount) and I really don't like to buy used camera bodies. I don't need the new body. It would be an expensive insurance policy on my chief hobby, photography these days. Basically I feel that I am not apt to change as I grow older in terms of primary equipment. I don't have the coin to try everything that catches my eye.
There are some very good mirrorless cameras out there these days. A whole lot of very high quality available in a small package at very good prices. Let me know if I can help with details.

I honestly don't enjoy tinkering
That's one of the things I enjoy most, I could spend all of my free time as a couch potato but I'd rather be in my garage tinkering or in my backyard plinking. I'd love to be sitting on the bank with a fishing rod in my hand but I don't have much opportunity to get out to the river.

I get satisfaction out of fixing things myself or making things I need, sure when it's a stressful necessary repair it's not so fun but when the work is over I'm happy to have been able to do it myself.

For example this early 70's CZ air rifle just came today and it needed a front sight, so I made one.
I could have probably tracked down an original somewhere but it only took 20 minutes to make this one myself.

There are some very good mirrorless cameras out there these days. A whole lot of very high quality available in a small package at very good prices. Let me know if I can help with details.
I'm good; decisions made for better or worse. Thank you for your offer to assist. My current camera family are all Sony A-Mount APS-C cameras. Sony discontinued all but their full frame A-mount A99 model at the beginning of August. Normally when things are discontinued, there is a new model to replace it... not this time. I suspected this was coming but not this soon and have been buying better quality lenses to broaden (more an upgrade) my capabilities this year. My original plan was to buy another body next year. I generally don't like to buy used photo equipment. Just not ready for the kind of $$$ for an A99 camera now (~$3200).

The Sony mirrorless cameras are all E-Mounts. I realize from a technology point of view, the trend is toward mirrorless full frame cameras (35mm sensors) and lenses. I suspect someone will make an adapter at some point.

I have one full frame lens. At my age, I just don't see myself changing to full frame mirrorless cameras. So, I'm left with 5 to 10 year old technology. As time passes, I may change but right now I am satisfied with the APS-C camera bodies. I purchased another body by the way. They are hard to find new at this point and I felt pressured to buy one even though I didn't want to spend the coin.

Back in the film days, all of my equipment was Nikon. There was about a 10-year hiatus between film and digital for me. The first digitals were cheap point and shoots and I wasn't satisfied for long. I needed something better for work documentation. I made the switch to Sony when I realized all of my old Nikon lenses were dinosaurs and likely couldn't be used with a Nikon DSLR body. The first was for work and I liked it. So, when I moved to buy hobbyist equipment, I stuck with Sony.

If I were starting from scratch I would certainly go mirrorless and full frame. I have edited this to make it more rounded informationally.

Last edited:
...For example this early 70's CZ air rifle just came today and it needed a front sight, so I made one.
I could have probably tracked down an original somewhere but it only took 20 minutes to make this one myself.
I would have used the front sight from another rifle. I hope you are going to grind that down lower. Looks like you glued it on?

Should be here tomorrow..... Nylon tactical belt, occidental leather belt. Should be here today..... needle nose vise grips. Should be here Friday..... over lens sunglasses petzal headlamp. All birthday gifts for myself:D

I would have used the front sight from another rifle. I hope you are going to grind that down lower. Looks like you glued it on?

It needed to be this tall to shoot poi without maxing out the elevation on the rear sight, so I won't be grinding it down.

The original front sights on these were just a threaded peg and the hole was stripped, so this sight is a tight press fit with some automotive super glue for extra assurance.
If it ever comes out I'll clean it out and re tap the hole for a threaded front insert.

I'm good; decisions made for better or worse. Thank you for your offer to assist. My current camera family are all Sony A-Mount APS-C cameras. Sony discontinued all but their full frame A-mount A99 model at the beginning of August. Normally when things are discontinued, there is a new model to replace it... not this time. I suspected this was coming but not this soon and have been buying better quality lenses to broaden (more an upgrade) my capabilities this year. My original plan was to buy another body next year. I generally don't like to buy used photo equipment. Just not ready for the kind of $$$ for an A99 camera now (~$3200).

The Sony mirrorless cameras are all E-Mounts. I realize from a technology point of view, the trend is toward mirrorless full frame cameras (35mm sensors) and lenses. I suspect someone will make an adapter at some point.

I have one full frame lens. At my age, I just don't see myself changing to full frame mirrorless cameras. So, I'm left with 5 to 10 year old technology. As time passes, I may change but right now I am satisfied with the APS-C camera bodies. I purchased another body by the way. They are hard to find new at this point and I felt pressured to buy one even though I didn't want to spend the coin.

Back in the film days, all of my equipment was Nikon. There was about a 10-year hiatus between film and digital for me. The first digitals were cheap point and shoots and I wasn't satisfied for long. I needed something better for work documentation. I made the switch to Sony when I realized all of my old Nikon lenses were dinosaurs and likely couldn't be used with a Nikon DSLR body. The first was for work and I liked it. So, when I moved to buy hobbyist equipment, I stuck with Sony.

If I were starting from scratch I would certainly go mirrorless and full frame. I have edited this to make it more rounded informationally.
There are a bunch of APC sony mirrorless and you can get A to E mount adaptors with full functionality including auto focus.

Which body did you buy?

There are a bunch of APC sony mirrorless and you can get A to E mount adaptors with full functionality including auto focus.

Which body did you buy?
A77ii. (Just used it yesterday to test it out.) I have an A77 which I like. Also have an A65. Use an A58 for work stuff.

We'll see what the future holds relative to A and E mounts. I say never say never.

Last edited:
Got the little snapon box

Once I get it all set up how I want it I know in no time I'll be reaching for it to complete many random small tasks like I was before when everything was all crammed into a vintage MAC mc1 box.

I have found that often when I'm working on something where I'm encountering 1/4dr range fasteners like say 10mm or 3/8 perhaps ( more SAE than metric for me ) I wind up needing other small tools as well.

Working on the lawn mower is a good example, though I am in 3/8dr territory for changing the spark plug or removing/replacing the blade.
Fuel filter, air filter, and most everything else this'll handle.

Last edited:
More 1/4 WRIGHT Tool goodness.

1- 9pc metric deeps
1- 9pc sae deeps
1- Universal
1- 2" extension
1- spinner handle.
Hopefully the spinner handle has the femal square drive in the butt end, that's what was pictured but I believe WRIGHT left it out of the current model and this stock photo may have been old.
Spinner handles are just not expensive so I will happily modify it if I have to.

Last edited:
Back