Whatcha got on order ?

I was looking for a small shovel to strap to my minibike and remembered the Cold Steel special forces shovel.
I went looking and found you can get an original Russian mpl 50 for about the same price so I went that route instead.

The sharpened edges of the Cold Steel would not have been the best for my needs anyway.

Too much stuff.

Some small containers for pellets, more pellets in .177 because I was running low.
A nice old 2oz ball peen, a vintage barrel hatchet of sorts, and a leatherman Bond.

I have a gently used Buck 309 built in 1998 heading my way.
I had a gently used 2009 example I got off Ebay maybe 2 years ago.
They're a great knife, I ended up gifting it to my uncle a few months back and he loves it.
I have found myself to favor the little 305 over the 309, but both disappear in pocket and punch way above their weight.
As do their 700 series counterparts.

Agreed. I stoke that big Ruger with .44 specials, and my daughters love shooting it. Magnums buck and roar more than they like.
Mine is chambered for .45Lc. I shot a few of those Buffalo Bore hot grizzly defense loads. You definitely had to hang on tight when shooting those. Not much fun.

Mine is chambered for .45Lc. I shot a few of those Buffalo Bore hot grizzly defense loads. You definitely had to hang on tight when shooting those. Not much fun.
The only thing I don’t like about that SBH is the squared trigger guard. It beats my middle finger up if I shoot a box of hot hand loads throwing 300gr bullets.

Btw 2052 is the model number and EC is essentially a date code for the particular generation of the reel.
The EC is the generation of 2052 that debuted in 1968, I have no clue if that's the first or not but it's the earliest I've seen in the year since I added it to my list.
I could not find any examples of 2052 with an earlier date code than '68, but the " royal maroon " series apparently debuted in the early 60's.

If anyone is wondering, what's desirable about these reels is their hardened steel worm gear drive, and their reliable drag system.
that's on top of the solid aluminum construction that was once standard, and the nice color.

Do you use shooting gloves? I put thirty WWB 240gr JSPs (give or take a few) down range and 20 Hornady 240gr JHPs this morning to check the sights, and I’m seriously considering getting a pair.

Late 40s, construction for a couple decades, and I’m getting arthritis in both my hands as well as my wrists…I’m no sissy, nothing a little Tylenol can’t handle, but I’m interested if they are worth the $$.

thanks,
Lee

Do you use shooting gloves?
Honestly didn’t know shooting gloves were a thing. I only shoot with gloves on if it’s cold enough to need them. Then they are just regular cold weather gloves.
I did however buy a pair of cycling gloves because my hands would go numb and hurt after 10 miles or so. They are padded in such a way that they reduced my discomfort by 80 to 90 percent. I’m comparing apples and oranges here but the point is activity specific gloves can make a huge difference. So they might work great. If you try them I’d like to hear your thoughts. I’m also late 40’s with a lot of physical labor behind me so I understand the hand troubles.

New leather belt to be given to me by my wife next week.
1 1/2", full grain distressed black leather, silver colored buckle with rounded edges. Made in USA.

Sounds nice.
I just hate cheap imported and or faux leather belts.
Me, too.
A good belt is expensive, but will normally last me 20 years. My last one is ~10 years old and is still good to go, but I've shrunk from a 42 to a 34 and it looks odd.

I'm putting together a rod to pair with the 2052EC.

I've already got the rings off the broke ice rod the reel came to me on.

Bought an " old " Shakespeare denso rod off Ebay ( us made, but not that old) to rehandle, and ordered some handle cork.

The rod itself is also red though and in hindsight it may prove to be too much red which is one of my least favorite colors, but maybe it'll grow on me.

Back