Whatcha got on order ?

All of my old “beater” boots are wearing out on me, so I decided to buy something cheap to use. I use old boots for mowing, painting, and other similar things. I went by academy and found these for $50. I put in some thorogood insoles (the ones these came with were a joke). They don’t seem like too bad of boots for the price. The finish is really ugly though, even for beater boots. I put mink oil on the one on the right. They won’t look so bad after that.

D1B478FD-5743-4BFE-A13D-66732CDA494E.jpeg

For $50 I would expect they're probably a glued construction with a faux welt stitch, but what they hell they're probably fine for mowing.

For $50 I would expect they're probably a glued construction with a faux welt stitch, but what they hell they're probably fine for mowing.

My beater boots will be thorogoods again when they eventually get old and aren’t worth a resole but these ought to do fine in the meantime. I used to buy these kind of cheapo boots years ago and they held up ok but were not particularly comfortable. The good insoles I put in ought to solve that.

My beater boots will be thorogoods again when they eventually get old and aren’t worth a resole but these ought to do fine in the meantime. I used to buy these kind of cheapo boots years ago and they held up ok but were not particularly comfortable. The good insoles I put in ought to solve that.
That will definitely help.

I've got a number of airgun parts coming for a Crosman custom shop build I'm doing, some factory Crosman and the rest aftermarket ( right now I'm at about $250 worth of parts into a gun that was about $120 ) , theres still one more thing I need to get a line on.

I've also got some Chapman stuff ordered, added some more bits, another stubby driver, and a couple bit racks.

A 2nd older Vaughan #99, a 3rd older Vaughan #9, and another pack of those Cactus mountain set screw hat / lapel pin keepers.

A large set of Channellock Screwdrivers.
I bought the #2 and 6-1 previously to try out, I have been pleased with the steel quality of the tips and like the shape of their acetate handles so I decided to get a whole set.

What I actually ordered was the sd10 10pc set sd5 5pc precision set, and the stubby 1/4 to go with the stubby #2.

I find these 2 stubbies very useful, but for some reason Channellock chose not to include them in their sets.
P-R doesn't seem to even offer hard handle stubbies under their own name.

A set of American made Tekton hard handle screwdrivers.

I'm still looking for my favorite screwdrivers, gotta be American made and I gotta have hard handles.

I have high hopes for these tektons.
From everything I can figure, the nylon handles are very likely made by Wilde and the the shanks are definitely made by Pratt-Read.

I currently have an 80's Crosman model 357 on the way ( juries still out on the age, can't make out the date code in the pics, and there are some curiosities with it )
Last week I bought a '93 example for my dad to replace the one he had when I was a kid and really liked it when I was testing it so I found one for myself.

My Chapman set has outgrown it's 7300 case, so I ordered a larger 5575 case.
I only need 4 of the bit racks, so I should be able to fit all my extensions driver handles PM13 palm ratchet and CM13 ratchet if I leave out the empty ones.
I'll just have to modify one to fit the 2 Phillips bits.

Just ordered a SIG Juliet 4 to go with my Romeo5 XDR predator. Now I'm saving up for a weapon light, and my Tavor SAR will be perfect.

Today I was deal hunting for vintage US tools on the bay and found a few good ones, but this set is the one I’m a little excited about. It was a good price and even comes with a pretty decent looking schrade made craftsman stockman, so I get to scratch the knife itch as well.

92CFBCCB-947E-4861-A0DB-294F03D71AC1.jpeg

Today I was deal hunting for vintage US tools on the bay and found a few good ones, but this set is the one I’m a little excited about. It was a good price and even comes with a pretty decent looking schrade made craftsman stockman, so I get to scratch the knife itch as well.

View attachment 1630148
Sadly I think that ratchet is Stanley sourced and made in Taiwan, but at least the sockets look to be made here.

The screwdrivers being a bit older are probably pretty decent, it just sucks that the Craftsman screwdriver design had to have such undersized handles for most of the philips drivers.
I actually like the shape of the Craftsman drivers, but I got tired of the undersized handles and gave most of my Craftsman drivers away.

Sadly I think that ratchet is Stanley sourced and made in Taiwan, but at least the sockets look to be made here.

The screwdrivers being a bit older are probably pretty decent, it just sucks that the Craftsman screwdriver design had to have such undersized handles for most of the philips drivers.
I actually like the shape of the Craftsman drivers, but I got tired of the undersized handles and gave most of my Craftsman drivers away.

Hopefully not, but it’s an extra ratchet anyways. I’m mainly after the usa craftsman sockets and there’s a bunch of them here. It’s tricky finding good deals on them.

Hopefully not, but it’s an extra ratchet anyways. I’m mainly after the usa craftsman sockets and there’s a bunch of them here. It’s tricky finding good deals on them.
They're from the late 80's or 90's if I'm not mistaken.
They were definitely Stanley sourced and made in Taiwan , but the sockets are the gold here anyways.

The 60's to early 70's 10' Tape is nice too , the little release button on the side is pretty handy.

Just placed an order for a Okluma DC0 flashlight in titanium today. Jeff said it’ll take about a month. I’m excited and will be ordering a DC2 shortly, IF he’ll add me to the waitlist. Lol

They're from the late 80's or 90's if I'm not mistaken.
They were definitely Stanley sourced and made in Taiwan , but the sockets are the gold here anyways.

The 60's to early 70's 10' Tape is nice too , the little release button on the side is pretty handy.

I got it all today. After a bit of research on the ratchet it appears that you were correct and it’s the imported stanley who made it for craftsman. The sockets are really nice. All of them are USA and barely even seem used with a nice selection of metric and american. The rest of the tools are all in good shape as well, including the knife. I happen to have one of these same knives in mint condition so it will make a nice one to carry.

This sure beats going down to the hardware and buying all new imported stuff, I don’t like doing that if I can avoid it.

30F560D5-5694-4584-873D-FD7241363E58.jpeg

I got it all today. After a bit of research on the ratchet it appears that you were correct and it’s the imported stanley who made it for craftsman. The sockets are really nice. All of them are USA and barely even seem used with a nice selection of metric and american. The rest of the tools are all in good shape as well, including the knife. I happen to have one of these same knives in mint condition so it will make a nice one to carry.

This sure beats going down to the hardware and buying all new imported stuff, I don’t like doing that if I can avoid it.

View attachment 1631931
Ebay is your friend here.
Theres lots of other lesser known brands you can get a good deal on too.
Easco, Herbrand, Challenger, Thorsen ( the earlier pre 80's stuff ) WRIGHT tool, KAL / Proamerica, masterforce, Master Mechanic, penncraft, Powr-kraft, Indestro...and the list goes on.

The current WRIGHT, Proto, and William's industrial tools are also priced much lower than others and a really good value on the secondary market, especially since you can save on a set missing a piece or two and easily replace it.

Back