Whatcha listnin to oo oo?

He's The Voice of His Generation and the folk music icon who "betrayed" folk music in 1965 when he picked up his Fender Stratocaster and "went electric." In this tune from 1975, Dylan tells the story of a vagabond lover and the girl who "never escaped my mind." He also seems to be reflecting on the '60s. "We always did feel the same/We just saw it from a different point of view."

Del Shannon got onto the charts with "Hats Off to Larry" and a few other tunes, but he is best remembered for his 1961 hit "Runaway." If you've ever been left wondering why your girl took off on you, maybe you'll understand this one. "I'm a walkin' in the rain." Sing it, Del.

Note 1: This may be the first pop hit to use a synthesizer.

Note 2: In 1977, Bonnie Raitt, the great vocalist and slide guitarist, covered the song, slowed it down to a bluesy tempo and replaced the synthesizer with a harmonica solo.

Currently listening to Disc 2 of 5 of the Mosaic Records - Duke Ellington -- Reprise Studio Sessions set. Not his greatest work but easy to listen to while trolling the Net and cooking.

If you're interested, you can find some information bout the set HERE.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-25-at-1.31.57-PM.png

I've got a nearly 2000 jazz LP collection and I also collect Mosaic Record sets, which fills in a lot of gaps in my my LP collection. I own about 1/2 of all of the Mosaic Record sets ever released.

Also don't have as much time/interest in flipping thru the jazz bins in used LP stores any more. Buying Mosaic Record sets save me a lot of time in this regard.

Last edited:

Yet another beautiful day here New Mexico
One of my all-time favorite songs, bar none. I believe this was one of the last songs recorded by Duane before he passed. I have heard a couple of bootleg copies of live performances . . . I think they only performed it live with him a few times. Just a great song. If this doesn't make you smile, I think you're hopeless.

Last edited:
He's The Voice of His Generation and the folk music icon who "betrayed" folk music in 1965 when he picked up his Fender Stratocaster and "went electric." In this tune from 1975, Dylan tells the story of a vagabond lover and the girl who "never escaped my mind." He also seems to be reflecting on the '60s. "We always did feel the same/We just saw it from a different point of view."

And through the magic of modern technology, we can all observe that magic moment at the 1965 Newport Jazz Festival on our phones, TVs, laptops, etc., any time we like. One of my favorite Downfall meme spoofs is Hitler Discovers Bob Dylan has Gone Electric.

Definitely one of the great poets and songwriters of my life. I'm a big fan. Although his voice could be an acquired taste. Whenever folks refer to him as The Voice of His Generation, I like to respond that it must have been one raspy generation.

Back