whatcha watching?

has anyone seen any good movies/films/documentaries/shows recently?

I really enjoy film and such, but tonight I'm nerding out on a 2hr+ documentary about liquid fluoride thorium reactor technology called

Thorium 2011

if any of you enjoy documentaries about technology, engineering, nuclear sciences or energy, this has been quite interesting, though I'd have to watch it a couple times to really understand all the science the protagonist presents

this is one film that's worth sitting through and trying to understand, lay person or otherwise

I've been on a Netflix bender lately. With the sun going down before I get home from work, a pandemic, and a house that's empty most of the time, I got sucked into the TV screen like a bug to a zapper.

The Old Guard and Ava are both pretty entertaining beat-em-up action movies.

There's a highly entertaining series called We Are The Champions that follows around people who compete in unusual sports.

If you are a music documentary fan, Netflix has a series called ReMastered. Each episode ranges from 30 minutes to and hour, iirc, and each episode is a doc on a different musician.

If you like the sci-fi, superhero stuff, I really enjoyed The Umbrella Academy and Mortel.

Finally, if you just love a messy drama, Unauthorized Living is riveting.

Currently, I just started Giri/Haji which is a British/Japanese detective crime drama. It hasn't quite grabbed me yet.

Been watching old satire mysteries. Like Peter Falk in the Cheap Detective and the Clue Movie from 1985 with the different possible endings.

We rented “The Phenomenom” by James Fox last weekend on iTunes. I enjoyed it (Alma isn’t as interested in UFOs as much as I am). Last night, we started the series “Man Hunt - Deadly Games” on Netflix. Only 2 episodes so far, but it seems pretty good. It’s about the security guard / foiled terrorist attack at the 1996 Olympics.

I'm not sure how we ended up watching The Mandolorian but we did and I enjoyed it. My wife doesn't like sci-fi anything and is total anti-Star Wars. If you're not opposed to foul language or easily offended the Bert Kreischer stand up shows on netflix are hilarious. My wife doesn't laugh out loud very often but does when we're watching him. He's supposed to be the guy that the movie Van Wilder is based on. I didn't care for his " reality" series at the cabin.

Last edited:
Just finishing up the last season of Hell On Wheels. Started out strong, but feels a bit tired in later seasons. Gotta finish it though!

Jeff

If you want some really good comedy that is not offensive, Tim Hawkins is great. We managed to see him live and he kept us in stitches for 2 hours. He is a Christian comedian, and a good guitarist, so he has a few good music parodies too. One of my favorites is his Christian cuss words.

Last edited:
Just finished vikings waiting on the last episodes coming out this Decembe30th. Wife is watching the new walking dead and kids just started stranger things. I usually leave for work about 430am get home 10pm and go to bed at midnight, and I work weekends. I've had 3 days off since September. so I dont watch many shows. This new job kind of blows

this time of year it's all about my favorite Hayao Miyazaki's films:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
Arrietty
The Cat Returns

Not only family friendly, but adult friends too, and lots of good times for everyone all around

I think I'll start with Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke first this year :)

any other Miyazaki, Studio Ghibli or other anime fans lurking around here?

and has anyone seen the younger Miyazaki's From Up on Poppy Hill? I can't remember if I've seen it or not...

if the ending is really really really sad, then, yes, I saw it... but I'm not sure

Last edited:
Tim Hawkins is great.

That sounds pretty interesting, actually. I wonder if it will be like the Catholic priest stand up comedian they made up watch durin my first rehab experience...

I hope and believe Hawkins will be a tad funnier than a Catholic father doing stand up for kids with drugs problems :rolleyes:

I'm actually not much of a TV/shows type person. In my opinion, the best TV shows are those watched with a loved one. Time spent lounging with the loved one is time well spent indeed :)

p.s. sorry for the double post :(

Miyazaki's stuff is always great, I've watched most of those with my kids.
Just finished The Boys, Hanna and Upload on amazon, all excellent.
Binged The Good Place on netflix, it was hilarious.
I watched Old Guard, Peppermint and Ava, all were good, Ava was just OK.
Started the Umbrella Academy last night, looks to be pretty good.

Does anyone like Akira Kurosawa?

Rashomon, Red Beard amd Dodesukaden are definitely among my favorites.

So that series Hanna is okay? After stumbling upon the Hanna movie's soundtrack, which is actually reasonably good, I rented the movie.

It was entertaining. Not really bad my any means in my opinion, but not exactly one of cinema's hottest films.

If it's that good, I should check out the Hanna series

Does anyone like Akira Kurosawa?

Rashomon, Red Beard amd Dodesukaden are definitely among my favorites.

So that series Hanna is okay? After stumbling upon the Hanna movie's soundtrack, which is actually reasonably good, I rented the movie.

It was entertaining. Not really bad my any means in my opinion, but not exactly one of cinema's hottest films.

If it's that good, I should check out the Hanna series
Seven Samurai and Yojimbo are epic. I thought the Hanna series was pretty good.

Back