1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Whats a good gym knife, what do you use?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TheAmateur, Feb 8, 2013.

1. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    That would be alot less annoying than many of the knobs at the gym are already. :D

2. Samon

Samon

Nov 12, 2012
    stabbing the other roiders when they start to get mad at their reflection in the mirror?

seriously, a gym specific knife sounds rediculous (unless of course specific and genuine threats have been made to you i.e "hey punk, next time I see you at the gym I'm gona assume you don't have a weapon and start beating on you with my big ham fists"...

A neck knife is a terrible idea, that neck cord will likely end up tangled in a machine and result in you choking to death before any of the sweaty chimps try to jump you.

If you insist on taking one to the gym, get something with a clip for your pocket that won't fall out or get snagged/tangled on anything/anyone.. :rolleyes:

3. stabman

Sep 17, 2007

Just change the words a bit and:

seriously, a school/work specific knife sounds rediculous (unless of course specific and genuine threats have been made to you i.e "hey punk, next time I see you at school/work I'm gona assume you don't have a weapon and start beating on you with my big ham fists"...

A neck knife is a terrible idea, that neck cord will likely end up tangled in a desk and result in you choking to death before any of the sweaty students/coworkers try to jump you.

If you insist on taking one to school/work, get something with a clip for your pocket that won't fall out or get snagged/tangled on anything/anyone.. :rolleyes:

4. Samon

Samon

Nov 12, 2012
    um..what?

5. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    Might be fixed now.:)

Just picture someone saying that when asked what knife would be appropriate for work or school. Many non-knife people will say something along those lines.
    It also works for :
    -Church
    -Vacations
    -The beach
    -and anywhere else that one "shouldn't" have a knife.

6. HeathHall

HeathHall

May 11, 2005
    Smatchet of course!

7. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Thi is what I carry when I work out at the Gym. It is small enough it does not get in the way unless doing standing DB curls and deadlifts. But even then it is so light and small it does not get in the way like a strider or PM2.

8. Picksmith

Picksmith

Sep 4, 2009
    Recently, Para 2 or CS tuff lite if I'm gonna get really sweaty. Smaller push daggers are less likely to get in the way than most fixed blades. There need be no reason to justify carrying a knife, and definately no reason to feel rediculous for carrying one that you'll most likely never use.

9. RDog

RDog

Jul 28, 2011
    A gym knife? really? I guess you go to a pretty rough gym...must be a Canadian thing. I'd say forget the knife and carry a Glock but...

Hmmm...perhaps carry a large cucumber and a jar of petroleum jelly around the gym, I don't think anyone will even make eye contact with you let alone put you in a position where you will need a knife for defense.

...Sorry guy, couldn't resist :D

10. tueller

tueller

Mar 16, 2012
    LOLOL, Even had to read this to my wife.

Seriously, Its Murphy Law. You'll need it when you don't have it. So yes gym and everywhere else. Its a commitment and sometimes a PITA but I try to ALMOST always carry a fiream, flashlight, etc. But I ALWAYS carry an edged tool (unless flying and I hate that I can't). I have tried the neck knife... bounces too much during cardio. So a small cs vaquero clipped in my shorts by my groin is working for me right now. One example that comes to mind out of a million, you hear of the occasional person getting injured from hair/clothing getting caught in a treadmill or other equipment... bet they wish someone had a knife at the moment. But its silly to play the scenerio game. Why? Because I can.

I always hate the "why knife" questions but it stings a little more coming from forum members :(

11. TheAmateur

TheAmateur

May 20, 2012
    So how do you suggest I cut that cucumber? :rolleyes: lol

Anyways, due to not being able to find a place to get an enyo in Canada at a decent price, im going to try out the cs voyager clip point at the gym (3") as suggested by tueller

12. Franciscomv

Franciscomv

Feb 7, 2005
    Any Spyderco folder in H1. They're light and quite capable. I clip a Spyderhawk or a Tasman to my waistband for my morning workout, they don't get in the way at all. Why not have a knife?

13. peeintheshower

peeintheshower

Jul 21, 2012
    i carry a spyderco dragonfly. love the little bugger

14. TheAmateur

TheAmateur

May 20, 2012
    oops, double posted, disregard this post

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  15. coop1957

coop1957 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Do you shower at the gym? How about the sauna? If so where would you carry this gym knife?
    Being prepared is one thing. Being crazy is something else.

16. coop1957

coop1957 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Double post, sorry.

17. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    No and no.
    I shower at home...the gym showers and saunas are gross.
    Using them would qualify one as crazy.:D

18. MrPocketsOfSteel

MrPocketsOfSteel

Mar 13, 2012
    That was good.:thumbup:

19. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    When I was working in the sandbox it was a full serrated spydie delica. Never got in the way.

20. navasky

navasky

Dec 7, 2009
    A cold steel bushman mounted to a 7 foot barbell