What's a good midway between D2 & W2 steel?

Sorry if I'm making this thread on the wrong part of the site, I'm new to this.

I really like the hair popping, scary sharp edge W2 can take, but also like D2's edge retention.
Is there a good midway high carbon steel out there for this?

Thanks!

I'll second O1 and A2.

O1 probably has a little better fine edge stability, A2 is less messy to heat treat and has a little better rust resistance. They're similar steels that fall midway between W2 and D2.

I was going to recommend A2 as well. 52100 might be in there as well, but I don't think the edge retention is too much better than W2, really depends on heat treat on that I think. I didn't think O1 would be much better either but I'm fairly new to that one still.

Not inbetween, but CPM M4 has good edge stability, aka takes a really sharp edge, and the edge retention is superior to both. M4 is fairly similar to the vanadis 4E (V4E) mentioned by Willie.

Hands down A2. probably one of my favorite steels.

I still have like 50 of the original 36 inch long sticks plus 18 of the 2 inch wide ones and a couple of the 1 inch bars. But most people don't have the stuff and it is getting thin on the ground. There haven't been any big piles of the 1.25 round bar outside of Dan Farr and Adman and Hayleys shop for a while as best as I can tell. I haven't seen any for sale for a couple of years. Also, most of that last billet that got rolled into sub 1/4 thick stock a few years back seems to be gone.
AKS still has 1/4” stock, 1” and 1 1/4” wide, 22” lengths approx. I have about 10 pieces put aside for wakizashis.

I'll THIRD that motion, Larrin and Devin. Big time.

And also support A2 for a sort of middle between W2 and D2.

Warren, I would HATE to be the one hand sanding a CFV Waki! I did a few chef's knives up to 800 grit. No thanks. Not doing that again. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad at 60HRC as it is at 63-64.

Need some tungsten forging steels to be more widely available to replace the CruForgeV.

Not tungsten forging steel but I believe Bohler's K510 is popular among European pukko makers.

Its forge easier than O1 and hold and edge better than both O1 and 52100. I have try HT several pieces and its get to high hardness easy. The edge holding seems to be excellent from my little experience.

It is that bad at 61-62Rc. LOL it does take a pretty nice "belt" finish with Gators and cork belts. Haven't tried it lengthwise on a kitchen knife yet.
I'll THIRD that motion, Larrin and Devin. Big time.

And also support A2 for a sort of middle between W2 and D2.

Warren, I would HATE to be the one hand sanding a CFV Waki! I did a few chef's knives up to 800 grit. No thanks. Not doing that again. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad at 60HRC as it is at 63-64.

That's a good resource for those set up for forging, no doubt about it. It's just those sizes aren't useful to stock removal.

I’m thinking it’s great for Damascus billets, even though it’s too thick for anything I normally make. I will probably order a bunch more for Damascus.

I’m thinking it’s great for Damascus billets, even though it’s too thick for anything I normally make. I will probably order a bunch more for Damascus.
I have a couple of pieces of Damascus from Salim Straub out of Cruforgev and 15n20. So far I haven't had the nerve to grind on them yet.

Back