1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What's a good midway between D2 & W2 steel?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by John347, Jul 24, 2019.

1. John347

John347

Jul 24, 2019
    Sorry if I'm making this thread on the wrong part of the site, I'm new to this.

I really like the hair popping, scary sharp edge W2 can take, but also like D2's edge retention.
    Is there a good midway high carbon steel out there for this?

Thanks!

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    O-1

3. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    A2

Ocelot85, shqxk and DeadboxHero like this.
  4. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I'll second O1 and A2.

O1 probably has a little better fine edge stability, A2 is less messy to heat treat and has a little better rust resistance. They're similar steels that fall midway between W2 and D2.

Ocelot85 likes this.
  5. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Z-wear, V4E. Better toughness than either W2 or D2, and it will support an edge almost as fine as W2. I use 0.005” before sharpening and use 10-15 dps on edc knives, and they hold up fine.

6. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    CruForgeV if you can still find some?

7. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I was going to recommend A2 as well. 52100 might be in there as well, but I don't think the edge retention is too much better than W2, really depends on heat treat on that I think. I didn't think O1 would be much better either but I'm fairly new to that one still.

Not inbetween, but CPM M4 has good edge stability, aka takes a really sharp edge, and the edge retention is superior to both. M4 is fairly similar to the vanadis 4E (V4E) mentioned by Willie.

Willie71 likes this.
  8. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Hands down A2. probably one of my favorite steels.

Ocelot85 likes this.
  9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    The choice between O1 and A-2 will be in his HT method.
    Forge = O-1
    Oven = A-2

mycough, DevinT, daizee and 1 other person like this.
  10. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    AKS still has 1/4” stock, 1” and 1 1/4” wide, 22” lengths approx. I have about 10 pieces put aside for wakizashis.

11. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    I still have like 50 of the original 36 inch long sticks plus 18 of the 2 inch wide ones and a couple of the 1 inch bars. But most people don't have the stuff and it is getting thin on the ground. There haven't been any big piles of the 1.25 round bar outside of Dan Farr and Adman and Hayleys shop for a while as best as I can tell. I haven't seen any for sale for a couple of years. Also, most of that last billet that got rolled into sub 1/4 thick stock a few years back seems to be gone.

12. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Need some tungsten forging steels to be more widely available to replace the CruForgeV.

13. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    Yes we do

samuraistuart likes this.
  14. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    I'll THIRD that motion, Larrin and Devin. Big time.

And also support A2 for a sort of middle between W2 and D2.

Warren, I would HATE to be the one hand sanding a CFV Waki! I did a few chef's knives up to 800 grit. No thanks. Not doing that again. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad at 60HRC as it is at 63-64.

Willie71 and DevinT like this.
  15. Alpha Knife Supply

Alpha Knife Supply Always Innovating Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 14, 1998
    jdm61, Willie71 and Storm W like this.
  16. shqxk

shqxk

Mar 26, 2012
    Not tungsten forging steel but I believe Bohler's K510 is popular among European pukko makers.

Its forge easier than O1 and hold and edge better than both O1 and 52100. I have try HT several pieces and its get to high hardness easy. The edge holding seems to be excellent from my little experience.

17. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    It is that bad at 61-62Rc. LOL it does take a pretty nice "belt" finish with Gators and cork belts. Haven't tried it lengthwise on a kitchen knife yet.

18. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    That's a good resource for those set up for forging, no doubt about it. It's just those sizes aren't useful to stock removal.

19. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
    I’m thinking it’s great for Damascus billets, even though it’s too thick for anything I normally make. I will probably order a bunch more for Damascus.

20. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    I have a couple of pieces of Damascus from Salim Straub out of Cruforgev and 15n20. So far I haven't had the nerve to grind on them yet.