What's a name or ones initials worth?

I recently purchased a Randall Thorpe for my collection. When it arrived I discovered that the seller's initials had been engraved into the back side of the blade. A regular guy that you wouldn't know from Adam. I was taken by surprise and was disappointed as he had not mentioned it to me. He said I shouldn't be worried as that wouldn't cause the knife to be of less value. What do you think?

Last edited:
I would be unhappy and believe that it does compromise the value of such a collectible. My 2 ¢.

Ray

If it was a Shop engraving, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Honestly.....I'd be pissed that the seller didn't mention that about the blade. On the other hand.....did you see pictures of said knife before purchase? Check out the blade from all angles?

Don't mean to be a buzz kill but I have a few Randalls in my collection, I avoid any with initials unless old and rare...and yes I won't by them unless bought at a discount if personalized in any way, shop done or not, selling without telling you is fraud in my opinion

I agree with Silly Rabbit, personally I avoid any with initials if I can avoid it.

I once bought a Randall with a name etched. Lost nearly $100 when I later sold it. Some buyers believe it cheapens a knife.

I was under the impression that any personalization generally decreases the value of a knife.

I've got a slightly different take on factory name etching. First off I do agree that unless the photos are crystal clear, it HAS to be disclosed before a sale, even then the name should be stated. Conversely, any name on a Randall, factory etched, has the possibility of one day being researched,that will allow the knife to be precisely dated. A Military rank, or serial # , I would consider paying certainly no less than one without, possibly more.

And therein is the voice of reason. Missed ya Bart, good to see you posting. Pay attention kids, long term collector bart1 knows about RMK stuff...

Photo 82.jpg

Conversely, any name on a Randall, factory etched, has the possibility of one day being researched,that will allow the knife to be precisely dated.

And therein is the voice of reason. Pay attention kids, long term collector bart1 knows about RMK stuff...

Living with someone else's name on the blade with the possibility of precisely dating the knife one day isn't enough of a reason for me to purchase a knife with a name on the blade. ;)

There is, of course, the option of sending the knife to RMK and having the name removed...

Does the name on the blade dull the edge? Special ordered knife guaranteed! That having been said, it's a big wide wonderful Randall world, buy what you like, like what you like! Just enjoy! Bart... PS Thanks Shel!!!

Personally, a strangers name or initials on the knife would cause me to pass it up. There's plenty of other, clean knives out there, and I'd want it personal to me, not someone I don't know. I would always view it as someone else's knife.

--Larry

My brother'n law had his model 14 with his name on it come up missing when he got back to the states from vietnam out of his kit during the Vietnam war. So it may actually help in the long run for someone to relocate a stolen knife as well. Although he never did see that 14 again.

I don't want personalized engravings on my knives - wouldn't buy it even at a discounted price. Then again, I won't buy a knife if I dislike the maker's mark (yeah, I'm that guy... but there are only a few I can think of, offhand, that have fallen into that category).

Last edited:
Back