What's a 'quality' knife these days, and are cheap 'gas station' knives starting to 'catch up'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a sensitive topic, but even if we're not into 'Zombie Killer' or 'Fantasy' knives, hard not to notice the increasing popularity, and competitiveness, of some of today's cheapo Amazon and FleaBay knives, including the usual Master Cutlery brands of the world (MTech, Elk Ridge, etc.)... but many of which are also now offering 'new & improved' versions of popular Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade, etc. designs, also in D2 along with the obligatory 'G10' scales. Yet still retailing for less than half the price of the Name Brands.
And with many of even the 'premium' brands also now largely manufactured in China, what does 'cheap chinese crap' even mean anymore, and kinda begs the question... what's the 'difference' nowadays, if any (besides the price)?

What real premium brands made in China? Are you talking quality because they cost more than the cheap Chinese knives made n the same factory from the same unknown steel by the same machines?

You need to have moral fiber and pride in your self and what you make in order to make quality. Chinese manufacturing has neither. They will rob and steal designs, tell you that you are getting a certain steel and you are very likely not.

For me American made, Japan made, European made and south and central american made are all better. Having said that if cheap enough I will buy a cheap Chinese knife I can beat on.

just my opinion on quality

China made and gas station are not the same. The issue here seems to be in equating them. There are still plenty of bad gas station knives with bad materials like 3cr or no-name steel for the blade and made poorly.

tenor.gif

I had a recently-made Elk River Woodsman’s Pal that I used to try to chop down an inch-diameter sapling in my side yard. It failed to get through because the edge dulled, and the sapling caused the blade edge to warp significantly. It looks like I shot it with a gun now. I used my BK2 on a bigger sapling the same day and it went right through with virtually no dulling. So, Elk River is certainly nowhere near comparable to quality American-made stuff as of right now.

Thx folks, and to be clear, am asking about the relative quality and competitiveness, not the 'politics'. Especially when after all the obligatory raging, so many folks will reluctantly admit to ultimately choosing the 'chinese crap' anyway... precisely because it's 'cheap' (aka, affordable). And if that isn't 'competitive', often using many of the same materials and vendors nowadays, then what is? Though I will concede to probably 'le$$-than-optimum' heat treatment on many of the cheapos.

Last edited:
with name brands such as spyderco and kershaw Chinese made and the like you are getting decent quality control and support and warranty that these other lesser names may or may not have. that can be a huge difference if ya need it. that comes at a cost. something I see value in myself, others may not.

I’m probably more libertarian than most you’ll find on this forum, and even I can’t bring myself to contribute to the global knife economy. Politics aside, I just don’t trust the knives to be what they say they are. There are some civivi options that are really desirable for me (the lockback gent and the corresponding slippie, for instance), but I don’t trust the materials.

I’m probably more libertarian than most you’ll find on this forum, and even I can’t bring myself to contribute to the global knife economy. Politics aside, I just don’t trust the knives to be what they say they are. There are some civivi options that are really desirable for me (the lockback gent and the corresponding slippie, for instance), but I don’t trust the materials.
Good point, and with today's CNC machining, new materials & hi-tech metallurgy, we often take for granted the importance of basic 'Quality Control'... at every stage in the production chain. And maintaining a high 'standard' (presumably) does set some of the more '$erious' brands apart.

Ah, in the absence of any 'argument', then it's really all about 'snob appeal'? Which I suppose is kinda understandable if one has already spent several times the price of a, um 'clone'... that often ends up being too expensive to 'risk' anyway. ;-)

That's fine, but perchance someone can explain exactly why it's 'cheap chinese crap'... and why we should happily pay several times more for what's increasingly the same materials, same designs, and often even the same vendors? Does anyone have a clear and serious answer, or do we just wanna stick with '$nob appeal'?

Last edited:
No.

1. If an animal (hoomanz included) lunges at you, do you
A. Reach for me trusty Benchmade
B. Reach for me ??? Quality MTech

2. You are getting ready for an expedition into wild territory, do you
A. Bring my pal the esee
B. Bring my dubious Amazon Knife

Lastly,
3. Would you rather have
A. 1 premium spyderco
B. 5 gas station/amazon/knockoff knives

4. Your young relative asks you for a knife for Christmas, do you:
A. Heres a SAK junior, have fun in the great outdoors!
B. Heres a HaoLieHai batwing 99 layer damascus...have fun cosplaying!

Edit:
Question 1 = reliability
Question 2 = durability, long lasting
Question 3 = perceived value
Question 4 = recommendable

Dont need to post your answers, I already know.

Last edited:
There are plenty of people who use a $5 and $10 knife daily and get by just fine with it. If it doesn't hold an edge long, sharpen it. If it breaks, replace it. Nothing wrong with that.

Some people are willing to pay for better materials, craftsmanship, etc. To some people, the country of origin makes a difference. Many folks here in the US prefer to buy items made here in the USA. Nothing wrong with that either.

A $20,000 Kia will get you point A to B just fine. Why would someone buy a $70,000 BMW? Or a Porsche? Why doesn't everyone just buy a Kia?

Choices and variety are a wonderful thing.

If you are talking about clones, that is a delicate topic here. If you are saying, why buy a real Spyderco PM2 for $150 when you can buy a clone that looks just like it for $50. Many folks will have moral and legal issues with supporting and giving $ to companies who steal designs and profit off it.

Let me try to narrow this down by asking a quick question to the original poster? Do you think there is a noticeable difference (when holding and operating in your hand) between a $50 civivi, $50 kizer vangaurd or $20 gas station versus a $180 zero tolerance, Spyderco or Benchmade? If you cannot tell the difference or don’t think there is much difference, I’m pretty sure you might need more time with a few good knives to understand the major differences. Have you seen the crazy torture and performance capabilities people have put the Benchmade Freek M4 through? They were $180, you could get a lifetime AMAZING knife for $180!!!!!! And I could name Spydercos, ZTs etc for more examples. I kinda get the point your are trying to make that “cheap Chinese” keeps raising the bar on their “quality” but they are still not in the same universe of quality built, long lasting knives. What makes this a confusing discussion is that some of the high quality brands have China manufacture some of their knives. I spent years, mostly teenage years, going through cheap crap knives that ALWAYS failed after 2-3 months. Fast forward 20 years, and I imagine the new cheap Chinese crap lasts 4-6 months instead of the 2-3 months of yesteryear depending on what gas stations you go to.

As a self proclaimed knife snob, here's my take:

This is a 'you get what you pay for' world.
You wanna spend less money on an inexpensive knife that's okay but then don't post up and complain about centering, lock stick/rock, detent, fit and finish, uneven grind, not sharp etc. See above.
I'm sure even Spyderco will admit to differences in quality in their Byrd line.
I wouldn't purchase any offshore blade mainly because I don't trust the materials; not to single out the Chinese but they are known to claim something and it turns out to be something else. In my mind their manufacturing QC is highly suspect. It's all bout the bennys don't you know.
I've looked at some inexpensive knives and they look ok, for how long I don't know.
Today though, it's okay to buy just to consume and when stuff breaks just get another.
I think if it lasts through one job, you got your money's worth, no?
For all the blades I would have to throw away though, I would think it would eventually add up to a really nice knife, one that would last.
If cheap and inexpensive is your thing, well it's your thing.
The line I think is around $50; I had a perfectly fine Civivi even though it felt cheap and questionable at $50.
I wouldn't even look at anything less than that (except an SAK).
Gas station/flea market knife? I'd rather use a box cutter. Or maybe give it away to an enemy.
YMMV

BTW, you may call me a snob, but there is definite change in quality (and appeal) above a certain price point.
To find out what it's like, you gotta pay the cost to be the boss.

No.

1. If an animal (hoomanz included) lunges at you, do you
A. Reach for me trusty Benchmade
B. Reach for me ??? Quality MTech

2. You are getting ready for an expedition into wild territory, do you
A. Bring my pal the esee
B. Bring my dubious Amazon Knife

Lastly,
3. Would you rather have
A. 1 premium spyderco
B. 5 gas station/amazon/knockoff knives

4. Your young relative asks you for a knife for Christmas, do you:
A. Heres a SAK junior, have fun in the great outdoors!
B. Heres a HaoLieHai batwing 99 layer damascus...have fun cosplaying!

Edit:
Question 1 = reliability
Question 2 = durability, long lasting
Question 3 = perceived value
Question 4 = recommendable

Dont need to post your answers, I already know.

It was because of questions like this that I flunked out of high school.

There's so much pressure being on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back