What's a 'quality' knife these days, and are cheap 'gas station' knives starting to 'catch up'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What real premium brands made in China? Are you talking quality because they cost more than the cheap Chinese knives made n the same factory from the same unknown steel by the same machines?

You need to have moral fiber and pride in your self and what you make in order to make quality. Chinese manufacturing has neither. They will rob and steal designs, tell you that you are getting a certain steel and you are very likely not.

For me American made, Japan made, European made and south and central american made are all better. Having said that if cheap enough I will buy a cheap Chinese knife I can beat on.

just my opinion on quality

You're kinda talking out both sides of your mouth here, claiming that Chinese knives in general are not quality or ethically made, but if you were going to buy a Chinese knife it would have to be cheap even for a cheap beater, which you seemingly use as your baseline for 'Chinese knives' in general.

If you buy from a decent company you're buying from a decent company, there's no need for bigotry and bizarre statements that everyone else on the forum knows are bullshot

...If you buy from a decent company you're buying from a decent company, there's no need for bigotry and bizarre statements that everyone else on the forum knows are bullshot
Yup!

That's fine, but perchance someone can explain exactly why it's 'cheap chinese crap'... and why we should happily pay several times more for what's increasingly the same materials, same designs, and often even the same vendors? Does anyone have a clear and serious answer, or do we just wanna stick with '$nob appeal'?
Inexpensive Chinese knives simply do not hold up or perform. Even the Chinese Spyderco and kershaw knives have been a major disappointment. China is where you go if you want something built cheap and fast without much concern about quality. Or other peoples IP.

I will say Chinese products are improving but they are a long way behind. And they aren’t honest about what they are selling. Why take a chance to save a few bucks? Why give money to people that steal IP?

Edit: for clarification, there are some pretty good Japanese brands. Ganzo on Amazon and the Chinese flea market or gas station knives are the topic here.

Last edited:
I’m probably more libertarian than most you’ll find on this forum, and even I can’t bring myself to contribute to the global knife economy. Politics aside, I just don’t trust the knives to be what they say they are. There are some civivi options that are really desirable for me (the lockback gent and the corresponding slippie, for instance), but I don’t trust the materials.

Are you serious? In the year 2021 you do not trust WE Knife Co. to use legitimate materials? Man I have to tell you that there is a point where 'paranoid' is simply the most accurate characterization of a thought. Thinking one of the world's best production knife companies would risk everything for the sake of saving a few cents per component on a luxury product that their customers spend a lot of time examining and comparing to competing products, AND that nobody has noticed by now, is paranoid. It defies all logic to think that a company whose bread is buttered by a reputation for excellence and the consumer demand that comes with it would behave in an economically suicidal way.

That's fine, but perchance someone can explain exactly why it's 'cheap chinese crap'... and why we should happily pay several times more for what's increasingly the same materials, same designs, and often even the same vendors? Does anyone have a clear and serious answer, or do we just wanna stick with '$nob appeal'?

3cr garbage with faulty lock engagement, a terrible pivot, a worse pocket clip, and uncomfortable handles is nothing like an inexpensive but proper knife like you see in the $30-$60 range

You're kinda talking out both sides of your mouth here, claiming that Chinese knives in general are not quality or ethically made, but if you were going to buy a Chinese knife it would have to be cheap even for a cheap beater, which you seemingly use as your baseline for 'Chinese knives' in general.

If you buy from a decent company you're buying from a decent company, there's no need for bigotry and bizarre statements that everyone else on the forum knows are bullshot
If you can’t make a decent argument just call them a racist.

I've got "three WE's" (?), and the fit and function of them is as good or better than any of my U.S. knives.
Having said that: I will still shop for a U.S. made knife first; before crossing any ocean.
I have developed a real soft spot in my heart for those custom-shop Benchmades...

CrispGorgeousAfricanwilddog-size_restricted.gif

There are plenty of people who use a $5 and $10 knife daily and get by just fine with it. If it doesn't hold an edge long, sharpen it. If it breaks, replace it. Nothing wrong with that.

Some people are willing to pay for better materials, craftsmanship, etc. To some people, the country of origin makes a difference. Many folks here in the US prefer to buy items made here in the USA. Nothing wrong with that either.

A $20,000 Kia will get you point A to B just fine. Why would someone buy a $70,000 BMW? Or a Porsche? Why doesn't everyone just buy a Kia?

Choices and variety are a wonderful thing.

If you are talking about clones, that is a delicate topic here. If you are saying, why buy a real Spyderco PM2 for $150 when you can buy a clone that looks just like it for $50. Many folks will have moral and legal issues with supporting and giving $ to companies who steal designs and profit off it.
Yeah but a $20,000 Kia is more equivalent to an $80 Kizer or Civivi than a gas station knife or some Ozark Trail Knife-Like Objekt

Yeah but a $20,000 Kia is more equivalent to an $80 Kizer or Civivi than a gas station knife or some Ozark Trail Knife-Like Objekt
My neighbor gave me a bunch of the Ozark trail folders. They are so bad. I couldn’t believe how bad. One would fold backwards when I tried to use it. I opened it and tightened the pivot until it wouldn’t move at all and threw it in a tackle box at my cabin.

Perfectly understandable!
It would be nice if you could post a picture of your Supermodel Girlfriend holding it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back