What's everybody been up to?

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Not much going on lately. Lost my hunting property due to a falling out with the owner and other controversy. Slow at the shop. Been spending more time at home with the family and taking it easy.
Scott

Hey Scott, that's a bummer with your hunting property. Sucks when that kinda thing happens. At least it's allowing you more time with the family. I got the day off today, I'm getting ready to go to northern Maine for a winter survival course put on by jackmountainbushcraft. The XL Polaris you built is going to be put through its paces. I'll try to get some pics and do a review if I can figure it out. I'm not all that tech savvy. Glad to see you posting

Hey there Scott-

Taking it easy doesn't sound too bad.
I've been hiking, camping and cleaning up after Hurricane Sandy. I roughed out a black walnut spoon with my BBT. I've not been spending too much time on the forums, which is probably a good thing.

I actually dropped by here to ask you a question and saw this thread. Please look for a PM from me today.

Beanbag

Beanbag, that looks like it could be a PSK Sr, or a mini Tusker? One of the WTK models?

Scott, sorry to hear about the farm. Heap of fat meat can't shine forever. No shortage of groundhogs to pop in northern Hazard County. Hell, coyotes clean them up for free!

Going to the Chesapeake Knife Show on Sunday, actually enjoying the holidays this early for the first time in about 15 years. Retail tends to sour those of us who've worked during the holidays with the masses. Been working on just getting outside. Working at a computer all day is not physically taxing, obviously, but the hour long drive each way can be a real bitch. Just getting some time practicing skills is tough. Getting back to artwork, the harmonica and thinking, at least, more on leather work. Looking forward to seeing The Hobbit next week.

Beanbag, that looks like it could be a PSK Sr, or a mini Tusker? One of the WTK models?

Well that narrows things down a bit.:rolleyes:

Just kidding, but it's not a mini Tusker, and I don't think it's a PSK Sr..

I'm think it's one of the WTKs, but I'm not sure.

SHS is right. It's a WTK, Mini Tusker style blade, PSK Sr. handle, experimental kydex sheath which I don't do anymore.
Yep, real bitch loosing that farm. Hunted there for 25 years. The way things are going, I doubt there will be any hunting allowed there after this year. The other guys are having problems too.
Scott

About that WTK, I think the original owner was Tony M. Somebody tried to convex/sharpen the edge for him and fucked it up. I had to redo it for the new owner, Blade Forum member from Florida.
Scott

Thanks Scott.

It seems like no matter how many blades they make, most custom knife makers remember most every one.

The way things are going, I doubt there will be any hunting llowed there after this year. The other guys are having problems too.
Scott

A real shame for you and Craig, both of you have always talked highly of the owner and his land.

Deer and groundhog population control is important for any farm, whether a gentleman farmer supplementing the pantry, or someone making his living at it. Unless they decide to start growing developments ;), they may have a problem down the road with wildlife.

Yes, it is a real shame. Still can't believe it. Thought of him as a friend. Turned into a real douchebag. I think his wife is behind alot of it.
Hey dcycleman, have a great time doing your course. Hope the knife serves you well.
Scott

If you ever make it down to S. Georgia, Scott..., you're welcome to hunt with me ANYTIME. I pay the taxes on it, and I own it. Come on down. Wishing you and yours HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

If you ever make it down to S. Georgia, Scott..., you're welcome to hunt with me ANYTIME. I pay the taxes on it, and I own it. Come on down. Wishing you and yours HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Dang Scott. With this offer this gives you 2 places to hunt in South Georgia.:D You been here and know there is game. Come on down would love to have you back. :D

I spent some time last week trapping, first time I've tried it. Put out a few snares, footholds and dog proof traps. Ended up with a couple coyotes, one possum, coon, and bobcat. The bobcat was a big surprise, 16 1/2#, pretty good for my first ever bobcat. I've only seen two out in the woods during all my years hunting. Sure sucks you losing your hunting spot, but time with the family is always good.

This week I've been sick. There is some kinda stomach bug going around and it sucks. Hoping I'm back to normal next week.

That sucks about losing that spot Scott.

I wonder if he will let the Amish continue to hunt there? I hope my cow-shooting joke didn't contribute to his angst.

I now have a relative who has a spot on the eastern shore if you feel like a drive.

-Stan

Thanks for the offers to hunt guys. Hey CD, sorry I haven't gotten back to you when you called a couple of weeks ago. I've got some freed up time this week. I'll give you a call.
Stan, no worries. He has been passing hints all year and acting weird too. The property/woods where you shot the spike buck is being bought by his nephew. He is building a house back there so that whole part of the farm/woods is not going to be hunted anymore.
Scott

Back