What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

juGaJRv.jpg

This is how my 1095 prototype worked out after heat-treatment, a much darker patina compared to the CPM154 that followed.

View attachment 761494 A vise I picked up today. Hoping To get it restored. Might start a thread soon asking advice on how to restore it.

And a big ol air compressor tank I'm hoping to turn into a forge.

View attachment 761497
Take a look on garage journal. I'm not as active there as I used to be, but there is a fairly large community of slightly insane vise collectors.
But basically bead blast or wire wheel to clean it up, make sure not to paint the handle, screw, jaws, or any of the machined surfaces (slide, contact area for the swivel base, ect). Polish the pieces that are bare metal without rounding off edges and corners.
I usually paint them with a signpainers brush, but you can rattle can it. Baking in the oven will make the paint more durable. I hand paint any cast in lettering with gold pinstriping paint, but thats not necessary.

What you've got is what's known as "the Chinese wonder vise" versatile, but not the strongest thing out there. Avoid hammering it much/at all. It will work well enough if you take care of it though.
Anti sieze, white lead paste, or moly grease are the best options for lubricating the screw.

Actually maybe avoid garage journal.... Very easy to fall down that hole, and have a couple dozen wiltons/reeds/rock islands, ect on shelves, under benches, ect

Take a look on garage journal. I'm not as active there as I used to be, but there is a fairly large community of slightly insane vise collectors.
But basically bead blast or wire wheel to clean it up, make sure not to paint the handle, screw, jaws, or any of the machined surfaces (slide, contact area for the swivel base, ect). Polish the pieces that are bare metal without rounding off edges and corners.
I usually paint them with a signpainers brush, but you can rattle can it. Baking in the oven will make the paint more durable. I hand paint any cast in lettering with gold pinstriping paint, but thats not necessary.

What you've got is what's known as "the Chinese wonder vise" versatile, but not the strongest thing out there. Avoid hammering it much/at all. It will work well enough if you take care of it though.
Anti sieze, white lead paste, or moly grease are the best options for lubricating the screw.

Actually maybe avoid garage journal.... Very easy to fall down that hole, and have a couple dozen wiltons/reeds/rock islands, ect on shelves, under benches, ect

Thanks. That was very helpful! I figured it wasn't the best vise but I mainly wanted to do handle work with it so not any beating on it. Just wanted something a little bigger then the tiny Home Depot one I got. I can't put large knives in that one at all!

Thanks. That was very helpful! I figured it wasn't the best vise but I mainly wanted to do handle work with it so not any beating on it. Just wanted something a little bigger then the tiny Home Depot one I got. I can't put large knives in that one at all!
It will work well for that. You will probably want soft jaws though. You can make replacement jaws from aluminum, copper, or micarta, or make covers for the existing jaws from either sheet copper or sheet lead.
Personally I like solid copper jaws with lead covers. Use the copper jaws for small parts where the covers would get in the way, and the lead covers for when you need a solid grip without scratching. Lead will grip better than copper, and nearly as well as the original steel jaws.

Well our washer and dryer were on their last legs so I talked the wife into getting a small loan to replace them.....and fund the grinder build! So just ordered the kbac 27d, a marathon 1.5hp motor and the tracking wheel set up from OBM. Along with all the knobs and handles from McMaster carr. Pretty stoked. I will post some progress pics as the supplies come in.

Making some saw steel red deer antler mushroom/grubbbing knives. No grinds or even surface cleaning yet, just showing the customer some shapes.

GntFJpb.jpg
gkhU7T7.jpg
QOVn8E9.jpg
E6Ar07P.jpg

I'll be making plenty more kitchen, outdoor and craft knives with this great old steel.

I finally... FINALLY... got a real 2x72 grinder in the shop. Was running a Grizzly for the longest time but there was a lot about it that was simply holding me and my skills back I felt. Plus after ~150 knives the machine was starting to really show it's age. Platen was trash, tracking was going haywire, and the belt chatter/slap was just ridiculous. So the past weeks have been spent familiarizing myself with the VFD unit and wiring guides so I could wire it up properly without any issues. Wired it up correctly the first go thanks to that! Just had the 220V outlet finished up this morning and got to spend half a day grinding on a badass new grinder. Couldn't be more excited! Stood a quarter up on the arm and it doesn't even budge from slowest speed to full bore. Such a solid unit!

LAiIpUW.jpg

It took me the better part of 2 months, but I finally finished this entire thread. I looked at every single picture (that photobucket didnt take hostage). So much win in this thread.

Seriously, the hell with photobucket. Took at least 40% of this thread away

It took me the better part of 2 months, but I finally finished this entire thread. I looked at every single picture (that photobucket didnt take hostage). So much win in this thread.

Seriously, the hell with photobucket. Took at least 40% of this thread away
Ha! That's quite the read!! Agreed with photobucket; it seems to be the standard with older styled forums like this that people still use it. As much hate as they get I thank Reddit for turning me to Imgur.

I love imgur. I am there all the time for both uploading and reading the funnies. I hate that photobucket gave no warning. Does make me worry for the other sites like imgur, because I think they will now bear the brunt of photobuckets users.

Forged this out today. Wrought iron and w1 san mai. I've ground and heat treated it since the pic and unfortunately have a couple delams that don't look like they're going to grind out :(

IMG_20170929_143030_936.jpg

Forged this out today. Wrought iron and w1 san mai. I've ground and heat treated it since the pic and unfortunately have a couple delams that don't look like they're going to grind out :(

View attachment 773011
Oh noooo sorry to hear about the delams! Great pic though; I really need to make some space and get a forge. I've been having a hankering to pound hot metal since I started this stock removal gig.

Back