What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

@Jeremy, I use nickel 200 or 201, the nickel is ~10-15% thickness of the knife steel. Nickel does not harden. Use 15n20 for hardenable bright layers. 15n20 should be ~20-50% thickness of the dark layers.

Hoss

Finally finished this beast. This is easily the largest and most complicated knife I’ve attempted yet, and I’ve got more hours into than multiple others combined. We’ll leave out how much of that time was spent fixing my own mistakes :p I’ll be giving it to a friend’s wife so that she can give it to him as a birthday present.
p2xvl8o.jpg

R443d1M.jpg

56QVD1M.jpg

jTMzuAw.jpg

8boVsgE.jpg

working on this stag frame handle
a couple more hours of finishing work and then glue the handle and pin it

dU5bFY4.jpg
Looks good. Is the blade done? Looks like there is still some grind marks on the blade.

Looks good. Is the blade done? Looks like there is still some grind marks on the blade.
thx,
most of my kitchen blades have a belt and polished finish.
obviously this one is etched.
there are grind marks, but they aren't more than 400 grit.
I don't generally hand sand or grind/polish to a high finish.

Last edited:
I've been messing around with the reverse tanto design for the last while. These two went to a couple of guys at work. One prefers a thinner handle and the other prefers a thicker handle. S35VN. The canvas micarta with a rough finish has been a good performer when gutting animals.

QTCya0Kh.jpg

Back