What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

A few from the last few weeks. Hoping my other blades get back from heat treat soon! :)
39097966090_496ec174b6_k.jpg

You've definitely got that down to a science. What grit finish is that on the flats and the bevel?

bowie-26.jpg

bowie-27.jpg

bowie-28.jpg

Just finishing up this one. This represents a LOT of firsts for me. It's my first Bowie, first S-guard, first take down, first time working with wrought iron, and it's the first time I've made San Mai.

It's a 1084 core with 15n20 jacket San Mai, wrought iron fittings and ironwood handle. I'm kind of proud of the pummel/tang nut, considering I don't have a lathe. I tapped a hole in a piece of wrought, chucked a piece of threaded rod in my cordless drill, threaded the wrought onto the other end of the threaded rod, and turned it on my grinder, and cut the groove with a file while in the drill.

Still have to etch the blade and fittings.

I FINALLY finished the traditional tanto I've been working on. Thanks to Stacy, HSC, Greg, and many others who helped with advice. It's not the best hamon (I've learned a lot and have a ways to go in that regard in a year). Blade is 1075. I started this thing over a year ago and would work on it for a few hours and put it down over that period. I have a renewed respect for all the hand work that goes into something like this.

IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG

I FINALLY finished the traditional tanto I've been working on. Thanks to Stacy, HSC, Greg, and many others who helped with advice. It's not the best hamon (I've learned a lot and have a ways to go in that regard in a year). Blade is 1075. I started this thing over a year ago and would work on it for a few hours and put it down over that period. I have a renewed respect for all the hand work that goes into something like this.

View attachment 871742
View attachment 871743
View attachment 871744
View attachment 871745
I can't imagine how I helped you on that, but it looks great, nice work.

Might have been someone else. I had a lot of advice over a long period.
That’s what made me stay as a maker! I’d made a couple of Knives from files and then met a Hobbiest blade handler that share what he new about handles. ———————//—————————-//—Then he took me to S.Cal Knife Maker’s meeting at Tony Swantons shop. The Sword & Stone .I met many other makers that freely shared their knowledge !. Finest group of folks I’ve ever met!:thumbsup:

"Operation finish all older projects first" is being executed here.

Made the blade and guard years ago and also epoxied them without thinking of how to attach and finish the handle.
Had it laying around the house in that state for a long time.

Took it apart, installed two aligment-pins and took off again.
(sometimes solutions can be simple)
It's inspired by a WW1 trenchknife so I tried some aging of the Niolox steel and bronce.
Pretty happy with the result

IMG_20180323_163434.jpg

Walnut with some TLC and aged metal
IMG_20180323_163420.jpg

Everything in a straight angle
IMG_20180323_165515.jpg

Finished a batch of mini EDC blades i'm calling PocketPoons because it makes me laugh. Anyways finished these recent ones up with some special handle scales from DerangedDonkey. It's a burl hybrid wood with acrylic mated against the live side of the wood forming a sort of natural bolster. I also had to have some with shredded cash in it. I don't know what my problem is, I have a huge ***** for shredded cash scales lol.

7ZctGdN.jpg

tpdl1EW.jpg

tpdl1EW.jpg

As you can tell the middle knives have a much thicker edge than the outer two cash knives. I get these ideas that some people like performance driven tools and others just want bomb proof. I try to make both. I don't know lol

Back