What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

.190 AEB-L with Sambar stag. The tang .003 before finishing.
dnybVhN.jpg
HLvubYh.jpg

Here's one... .2" in 5160, 2" tall and about 10" OAL 5.5" blade +\- with Bocote scales and 1/8" copper pins. Critique would be most welcome. 18-15 1.JPG 18-15 2.JPG 18-15-3.JPG 18-15-4.JPG 18-15-5.JPG

Here's one... .2" in 5160, 2" tall and about 10" OAL 5.5" blade +\- with Bocote scales and 1/8" copper pins. Critique would be most welcome. View attachment 894427 View attachment 894428 View attachment 894429
View attachment 894430 View attachment 894431

A couple things that stand out for me is that the handle looks a little blocky. The second thing is more of a personal nitpick, but I'd get rid of that ridge on the spine closest to the handle. Or at least less pronounced, and maybe make it more usable as a thumb rest. I think you'd have a more solid/classic profile as a result.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get the textured matte finish on the blade? I've been seeing that a lot and wondering how you guys achieve that.

Nice tooling on the sheath.

A couple things that stand out for me is that the handle looks a little blocky. The second thing is more of a personal nitpick, but I'd get rid of that ridge on the spine closest to the handle. Or at least less pronounced, and maybe make it more usable as a thumb rest. I think you'd have a more solid/classic profile as a result.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get the textured matte finish on the blade? I've been seeing that a lot and wondering how you guys achieve that.

Nice tooling on the sheath.

Hi Occamsblade, cool username. Yes the thumb rest/ramp concept was reviewed in a separate thread recently on a different knife, and it's got to be refined or deleted. On these if the thumb is behind the ramp the back of the handle nestles into the heel of your palm and it feels OK, if the thumb is over the ramp on the spine it feels real good. I do aim for an ovoid handle shape but I'll likely reshape this one, I don't think I nailed it. Usually I also shape grooves up front top and bottom for indexing but not on this one... I may add it in.

The textured matte finish is simply the way it comes from the mill, I don't forge yet. So on these saber type grinds I simply leave the upper spine area natural, just sand it lightly after the bevels are done. I believe forgers would leave hammer marks on theirs in various patterns to achieve similar results. I do like the rustic look.

Back