What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I've been playing with lengthwise grinding since I read @Nathan the Machinist 's old thread about it. And I've tried a couple of setups and really like the results.

I like the reduced amount of hand sanding and the crisp plunges lengthwise grinding gives you, and I also like grinding in horizontal. I can see better and it gives me better ergonomics in general. So I combined the two into this contraption.

Enter the Dual Side Lengthwise Grinding Flat Platen Attachment(TM) - or in short DSLGFPA. o_O

Tada! :D
PxOTgFk.jpg

A little grinding to the left
oE52wfC.jpg

... and a little grinding to the right
5Qn0N4V.jpg

The contraption in it's full glory
jEfMv8K.jpg

It's a prototype and I'm not running it water cooled, only the thick aluminium with some compressed air. But it's okay, I've ran it for some time and it get up to around 70-80 degC.

The corners of the flat platens are rounded with a 1,5mm corner rounding endmill.

And I'll probably end up redoing the base plate with some sort of lock-out indexing plunger.

But I love it already! Now I just have to figure out how to trap the sparks and dust from all my horizontal grinding.

3EM1La9.jpg
EGlqoUC.jpg

just finished up my third knife, an edc i made for myself. 8 inch overall, 4 inch blade. stock removal o1 tool steel. ferric patina. canvas micarta scales. mosaic pins made by my girlfriend. the sheath is my second. i have a lot to learn in the fit and finish department but the knife is held in very well and it carries nicely.

Here is one of mine hot off the anvil
https://imgur.com/a/0RvRh3q
OAL 12 5/8''
Thickness, a tad under 3/16''
Blade steel is from an old John Deere disc
Handle material is 416 stainless bolsters, 416 corby bolts and buffalo horn, dovetailed in.

What do you guys think this knife is worth? I have a hard time knowing what my knives are worth, or the best way to get the most out of them, any ideas?

Finally finished up a couple projects
A hatchet with removable hammer poll lugs with a kydex sheath im pretty proud of.
zKpjgJR.jpg

b9cST5X.jpg

My bowie also with kydex
E0ssEGW.jpg

and a little kiridashi and slip for a machinist that helped me out making a slot template.
5ZWFlHt.jpg

Here is one of mine hot off the anvil
https://imgur.com/a/0RvRh3q
OAL 12 5/8''
Thickness, a tad under 3/16''
Blade steel is from an old John Deere disc
Handle material is 416 stainless bolsters, 416 corby bolts and buffalo horn, dovetailed in.

What do you guys think this knife is worth? I have a hard time knowing what my knives are worth, or the best way to get the most out of them, any ideas?
Sweet knife! Can’t tell you much about value of your knife but I agree you have one of the Fuglyist dogs I’ve ever seen!:thumbsup::eek: I’m sure a sweet pup though !!

I've been playing with lengthwise grinding since I read @Nathan the Machinist 's old thread about it. And I've tried a couple of setups and really like the results.

I like the reduced amount of hand sanding and the crisp plunges lengthwise grinding gives you, and I also like grinding in horizontal. I can see better and it gives me better ergonomics in general. So I combined the two into this contraption.

Enter the Dual Side Lengthwise Grinding Flat Platen Attachment(TM) - or in short DSLGFPA. o_O

PxOTgFk.jpg

oE52wfC.jpg

5Qn0N4V.jpg

jEfMv8K.jpg

It's a prototype and I'm not running it water cooled, only the thick aluminium with some compressed air. But it's okay, I've ran it for some time and it get up to around 70-80 degC.

The corners of the flat platens are rounded with a 1,5mm corner rounding endmill.

And I'll probably end up redoing the base plate with some sort of lock-out indexing plunger.

But I love it already! Now I just have to figure out how to trap the sparks and dust from all my horizontal grinding.
The more I look at that thing the more uses I think of. Let me know if you are ever selling them.

Mini Kwaikens. The angle of the picture exaggerates the handle length I think. I did the maker's mark at the end. When I sanded off the halo, the dust seemed to stain the maple handle.
n6TlJQs.jpg

YDV3rGr.jpg

PxOTgFk.jpg

oE52wfC.jpg

5Qn0N4V.jpg

jEfMv8K.jpg

Excellent! Question please. Are you running the belt, tip of the blade to heel/Recasso?

Sweet knife! Can’t tell you much about value of your knife but I agree you have one of the Fuglyist dogs I’ve ever seen!:thumbsup::eek: I’m sure a sweet pup though !!
Sure is unique! From the moment I cut out the design I just knew I had to build it.

I think the breed is about an eighth kukri an... I don't know what else. But I like it, a lot.

Excellent! Question please. Are you running the belt, tip of the blade to heel/Recasso?
Thanks!

You can run the belt in either direction, so it's either pulling or pushing your blade. I have no problem grinding either way, but I prefer the pulling action. For delicate plunge work you can mount a work rest and rest your hands on and just concentrate on the left to right action.

Thanks!

You can run the belt in either direction, so it's either pulling or pushing your blade. I have no problem grinding either way, but I prefer the pulling action. For delicate plunge work you can mount a work rest and rest your hands on and just concentrate on the left to right action.
Thank you !

Blade 5. 1080 carbon steel blade media blasted and etched with vinegar. Brick red liners and canvas micarta scales. Liners and micarta are both firsts for me.

lUCPTIU.jpg

JVMVTNC.jpg

Back