What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Stainless San Mai success! I’m honestly pretty surprised I actually pulled this off. I got AEB-L sides to stick to a 52100 core. Sprayed everything with WD-40 then flux core welded all the seams and covered it in WD-40 again before tossing it in the forge. Got my Graham forge from @Atlas Knife Company going toasty and gave it three welding heats. Pretty darn happy. Now I need to figure out where to go next with this to get into into knife dorm without messing up the core position.
tSFdPOM.jpg

OcWIVJu.jpg

Started working on this bad boy.
A Bob Loveless Dixon fighter inspired.

UvvccGo.jpg

BPy0VTa.jpg

Pre-HT and rough fitted the guard.
JfFGevG.jpg

And this is how it sits right now. Final ground and etched.
kq6WfdL.jpg

Unfortunately, i don't have the equipment to do a hollow grind, therefore i did a flat one.
A couple of contact wheels would come in handy, perhaps soon!

A couple of things I've been working on as far as knives go and a work one too.

strain gage on a .050 wide spring checking bending loads

Attempting my first folder. A friction folder to keep things simple. The design should be familiar to a certain cigar smoking Argentinian maker who likes to frequent these forums:

BJgDgP1.jpg

XHSM02j.jpg

uMDBYKO.jpg

sGBDLOB.jpg

QovDCN4.jpg
EDIT:Nevermind, I found the link to the plans.

Nice work! Looks pretty straightforward! I'll give it a shot sooner or later.

Last edited:
Just created a thread in the gallery so I'll just link to it instead of double posting the pictures https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/first-scandinavian-style.1591514/
Got a tiny belt sander last week but am still doing most stuff with files because I'm most familiar that way. 'Fraid my "shop" is a disaster, whole thing is about 4' long and now has drill press, belt sander and vise in it. On the plus side I don't have to reach too far for anything :)

Just created a thread in the gallery so I'll just link to it instead of double posting the pictures https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/first-scandinavian-style.1591514/
Got a tiny belt sander last week but am still doing most stuff with files because I'm most familiar that way. 'Fraid my "shop" is a disaster, whole thing is about 4' long and now has drill press, belt sander and vise in it. On the plus side I don't have to reach too far for anything :)

That is beautiful work! I started out with a file jig just over a year ago and switched to a 1X30 after my second blade. In reality they both take about the same amount of time but the belt grinder requires far less labor. I'm not sure if I'm really in a position to offer advice, not that you asked for it, but since I seem to be about the only one using a tiny grinder exclusively here it is: change your belts often. As soon as you realize stock removal has slowed down throw the belt out and put on a new one. It's true for the big machines but it's even more relevant to the 1X30's smaller surface area. I also modified my work table so it can tilt and I can use a 90 degree jig. This is almost exactly what I've done to mine and the jig I made.

I do get envious at the 2X72 grinders. I can afford one, I just don't want to spend that amount of money on a hobby at this point. When I'm watching a video of a build and the 2X72 gets the bevel done in a few minutes my envy, my bank account, and my desire to get better really clash. Cognitive dissonance is a bitch. In the end my little machine gets it done and that's good enough for me....but if I had 220 in my shop I'd probably be dropping hints at my wife.

Hey Ten-Six, Thanks for the suggestions. DOAT told me to get Tru-Grit Blaze Plus Ceramic https://trugrit.com/index.php?main_...d=2820&zenid=1aa14049097c5c9bca48874f09ca1bf0 haven't managed to yet but gonna soon. I have a piece of 1095 for grinding my first blade but since right now I have blades from several good smiths I'm gonna finish those up before trying one of my own. Also planing to see if any of the actual smiths is interested in doing the heat treating for me.
Thanks again, any more ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

I've been thinking of black linen micarta too. I think i will go with that.

WIP a 12'' OAL lenght with a 6.5'' blade kwaiken with a chisel grind.

b3VODme.jpg

Back