What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I just drove 4.5hrs total to pick up this new little friend. $175 cash/carry. It was his aunt's who used to do small crafts.

Paragon E9S | 120V | 8.6 Amps | Ser # 113512 | 1032 Watts | tag says max temp 1650
There is no on/off or knob, just plug it in.
A 12" ruler fits in diagonally and the door closes

DhBiL1Z.jpg

M9jPlbg.jpg

KfQvRYL.jpg

Nice one skillgannon
My first thought: good and sleek looking knife
My second thought: that realy deserved a hand finish

Last edited:
Nice one skillgannon
My first thought: good and sleek looking knife
My second thought: that realy deserved a hand finish
Yeah probably. I have been working a bunch of overtime and I have been goofing off in the shop and grinding old screwups. I thought that I would practice grinder finishes. Next time.

Finished these to p1200 pre HT, I'll likely take them to P2000 eventually. Late evening, crappy photos/photographer. 35,36,39,40.JPG 35,36,39,40a.JPG

Not knife related but my day job is a concrete forn setter and finisher so i decided to take a shot at making my own float today. 3/8" paper micarta and 1" thick uhwm plastic for the handle.

MQh0Kuw.jpg
xeaXD5Y.jpg

I just drove 4.5hrs total to pick up this new little friend. $175 cash/carry. It was his aunt's who used to do small crafts.

Paragon E9S | 120V | 8.6 Amps | Ser # 113512 | 1032 Watts | tag says max temp 1650
There is no on/off or knob, just plug it in.
A 12" ruler fits in diagonally and the door closes

DhBiL1Z.jpg

M9jPlbg.jpg

KfQvRYL.jpg

Nice! I have the exact same one, minus the temp gauge. Had to build one. And yours is in slightly better shape.

Latest kitchen cleaver, aged O2 and Ironwood

Pablo

E8K4cWJ.jpg
That is amazing Pablo. If you don't mind me asking, what is your process with that aging. Is that a particularly interesting batch of O2 or do you manipulate it for that grain?

Its just plain old water oxidation done with patience on a regular piece of o2 carbon steel (Bohler K720) , some go grit after grit to remove it, I go in the opposite direction :D

Pablo

Finished up my first go at damascus. Just needs a sheath and sharpening (time to read some Horsewright Horsewright tutorials). I’ve been giving everything I make away to friends and family. I think I might keep this one for myself for the nostalgia of being my first successful forge weld. This was also the first knife I did with my new little disc grinder I put together for myself. 16 layer random pattern, black paper micarta, ziricote bolsters. The ziricote is kind of special. A friend gave me the wood as a thank you present and I ruined most of it on a previous failed knife handle attempt. I was able to salvage just enough from the remains to make the bolsters, so it’s a pretty good feeling to salvage something from that previous failure.

nK3nCyU.jpg

RRf1r1D.jpg

Hb48BIJ.jpg

Finishing up the first knife I've ever made, it has been quite the learning experience involving it's fair share of sweat and even some blood while it is far from perfect I am fairly satisfied with the results. Going to be a late birthday present to my father. The steel is cpm3v @ 60 rc by Peter's with a brass guard which will be silver soldered and micarta grip panels which I don't plan to epoxy as they a held firmly by the 3 chain-ring bolts.
IMG_20180706_121959.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20180706_121959.jpg

Knife #6
Give away, Birthday gift for a family friend.
Blade is a manufactured blade so I can't take any credit on the any of the metal work. All of my efforts are focused on handle construction and finishing. I have a long way to go.
handle material is Dark Myrtle, hardware is stainless, G10 liner olive drab
This was my first attempt at using a powered belt sander (HF special 1X24) and followed by hand sanding (150, 220, 500, 1000, 1200) and a quick buff (blue & green).
Finished with Danish Oil.

Lessons learned:
- First attempt at using a powered belt sander to shape the handle, aggressive little sucker even with 120 grit belt. light is the word of the day.
- During glue up, q-tips with mineral spirits aren't going to cut it. Need to find something sharp to get in the corner to clean the glue out.
- How many times do I have to tell myself, use flat edge/surface when profiling the handle?
- The last 5% of effort, can destroy the first 95% of work. Be careful what you set the knife on to finish up the hand sanding. You might just introduce some creative 'character flaws'.
- Wipe the finger prints off when taking pictures.
- Learn to take good pictures

z9WCPzu.jpg
AGQfQcb.jpg
PPPagmO.jpg

rHyyOTj.jpg

tLDLOMb.jpg
xS8zpL9.jpg
7BYBXEd.jpg

Back