What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Knife #6
Give away, Birthday gift for a family friend.
Blade is a manufactured blade so I can't take any credit on the any of the metal work. All of my efforts are focused on handle construction and finishing. I have a long way to go.
handle material is Dark Myrtle, hardware is stainless, G10 liner olive drab
This was my first attempt at using a powered belt sander (HF special 1X24) and followed by hand sanding (150, 220, 500, 1000, 1200) and a quick buff (blue & green).
Finished with Danish Oil.

Lessons learned:
- First attempt at using a powered belt sander to shape the handle, aggressive little sucker even with 120 grit belt. light is the word of the day.
- During glue up, q-tips with mineral spirits aren't going to cut it. Need to find something sharp to get in the corner to clean the glue out.
- How many times do I have to tell myself, use flat edge/surface when profiling the handle?
- The last 5% of effort, can destroy the first 95% of work. Be careful what you set the knife on to finish up the hand sanding. You might just introduce some creative 'character flaws'.
- Wipe the finger prints off when taking pictures.
- Learn to take good pictures

z9WCPzu.jpg
AGQfQcb.jpg
PPPagmO.jpg

rHyyOTj.jpg

tLDLOMb.jpg
xS8zpL9.jpg
7BYBXEd.jpg

Try popsicle sticks, and grind a sharp point on both ends. Soak in acetone and flip or regrind point as needed. Picked up this tip here (forget from whom, sorry! )

This is the first knife I’ve ever made. Just wanted to know some experienced knife makers critiques and advice. It was made from an old file. I used a charcoal forge. It still needs a heat treat, a little more fine polishing, an edge and a handle. Any advice would be appreciated. https://imgur.com/user/nateenwheeler2

my first nessmuk, Alabama Damascus. profiled and full height grind, pre heat treat. and yes, I will be ordering a proper stamp going forward.
3ebrEJC.jpg

Here are two knives I made that I've already posted at some point. But I finally got around to making proper sheaths for them and also for the first time I have marked my work with my makers mark....small proud moment for me there:

Small EDC with black linen micarta, red liners:
iBpeXc.jpg

0df8Gs.jpg

vLHySF.jpg

WKy9wq.jpg

WAG5gN.jpg

Pocket bowie with stabilized elm scales and black liners:
FjRdj8.jpg

N56TPb.jpg

hZYGgg.jpg

zTJS0V.jpg

CIhR2q.jpg

9AhNta.jpg

How come some of you guys drill so many holes in the tang?

Better epoxy adhesion?

Just to lighten things up? :)

This one will get one very , very special handle .................:)
I give up from taking pictures of my work . I can t take good photo and that's it !

Take the photo out side at sun down or sun up

Just finished this one up today. Herringbone canvas micarta scales with canvas micarta pins and lanyard tube. 1084 steel. OAL= 8-1/2" with a 3.25" blade.

Back