What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

The knife that will not sell :D:p
OR8kZQG.jpg

More details please

I laser cut a dozen sets of blades (Elmax and A2), liners, back spacers and clips (Ti). Now I'm finishing them out individually to order. This one is Elmax, CF scales, Ti pivot collars. Trying to be at least somewhat unique with the pivots and haven't seen anyone using regular old flat head screws, and I thought they looked OK with the collars. The overall shape of the knife handle is something I got from @Alan Davis Knives and @shamu and then I changed the blade up for the thumb opening so it wasn't an exact copy. The clip I'm kind of proud of. The guys I'm kinda catering to had given me a lot of feedback on the 3d models I've posted in the past and really wanted a deep carry clip. Not finding anything available to purchase that I didn't think was ugly I came up with this idea, it uses a slot in the back side of the scale to contain the clip and the scale screw to retain it. Clean, secure, no extra fasteners. I built a bending jig but even with that there's some learning curve. I think this one projects out just a little bit further than I'd like but it carries nice.

Cutting out liners and blades and stuff really saves a lot of work but it's still more work than I anticipated to finish one. The nice thing is having all the holes laid out ahead of time. I got set up with carbide reamers and a tapping head so I just ream to size and tap.

Last edited:
The guys I'm kinda catering to had given me a lot of feedback on the 3d models I've posted in the past and really wanted a deep carry clip. Not finding anything available to purchase that I didn't think was ugly I came up with this idea, it uses a slot in the back side of the scale to contain the clip and the scale screw to retain it. Clean, secure, no extra fasteners. I built a bending jig but even with that there's some learning curve. I think this one projects out just a little bit further than I'd like but it carries nice.

I prefer deep carry clips as well, I think this one you did does project out too much has you mentioned.
have a look at a Rockstead TEI pocket clip, that might give you some idea(s)

What in the decarb like with laser cutting?

I cut with nitrogen assist gas so almost nothing. I generally leave .010 on the edge to grind away. Everything else I leave about .005 per side just for cleanup, including holes I want to ream directly.

That's folder thickness and size stuff. A huge Bowie from 1/4" material I leave a little more on the edge though I generally don't cut stuff like that anymore. Not worth the time and effort for 1 offs and I tend to forge that stuff these days.

Though I will be doing a large AEBL bowie this way soon. I hate cutting stainless any other way

Finally made some kydex sheaths. Way easier and cheaper than leather.
mqla0pw.jpg

Bojn6HQ.jpg

wNar1HB.jpg

I got the wrong size screws to attach my metal pocket clips so waiting on those to come in.

Back