What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Thanks ! I never try to sand wood over 800 grit .Friend of my give me very good advice how to sand wood ....WET wood , leave to dry and then sand......

First time I use Bertie Rietvelt DragonSkin damascus and I'm in love...! (amboyna burl & mosaic pin)

Pablo

epcxdBJ.jpg

Is that the Damascus that people color? That’s some really cool looking stuff. Any idea how he makes it? Ball bearings maybe?

Thanks ! I never try to sand wood over 800 grit .Friend of my give me very good advice how to sand wood ....WET wood , leave to dry and then sand......

That is raising the grain. That's an interesing technique as well. I've done that on oak.

Is that the Damascus that people color? That’s some really cool looking stuff. Any idea how he makes it? Ball bearings maybe?

yup, the same, but for a knife that's going to be used coloring is not the best option IMHO as it wears over time. My guess is that he dips the bearing balls in nickel to get a way thicker than normal coat and then welds the balls with some powder steel added, but my guess is as good as yours...

Pablo

An 8" Buie.... (the old spelling).
Scrap 5160, scrap stag crotch, and fire blued scrap (soft - 1016?) steel.
I've got to stick some pins in it, and make a bomb escutcheon but it's fun to back making something. I like driving the guards on, and using no adhesives. Tricky. But they did it every day in mid 18th Sheffield.

DSC01771 by rynegold, on Flickr

DSC01772 by rynegold, on Flickr

DSC01773 by rynegold, on Flickr

Here are two works in progress 80Crv2. One is a little box cutter thingy that was an afterthought with some left over steel with burlap micarta on top of toxic green G10 liners. The other is a wharncliffe with canvas green micarta which I am really like after this one.

zMHYG7k.jpg

dwoggqX.jpg

Xj01NDQ.jpg

Maybe a stupid question: what’s/how did you make that finish on the blade? It looks great!

Looks like a stone acidwash to me, I'm guessing he used Ferric Chloride and a stone tumbler. I've done it myself with Ferric Chloride and a nalgene bottle filled with little river rocks from the backyard, very easy and fun. Go for it!

Ignore the scratch on the bevel :)

vxZP9bi.png

Back