What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

56JB97S.jpg

KhiJuRU.jpg

Getting snazzy

Nice, JWC. Whij did you use 440C?
Hi Hengelo_77, I'd like to say I'm trying to get a trend going but the truth is I was making knives many years ago, stopped for about 15 years and really got hooked again when I found and finished some old grinds. So I had all this old unused steel...O1, 5160 and 440C, so I'm just finishing out the inventory while developing the skillz. In my view 440C is still a great go-to knife steel though, even if it's not currently in style.

No more burned finger tips! Just finished DIY cool mist cooling for belt grinder... :D

I also use cool mist, love it. I would recommend losing the magnet and jig. Stand up, brace your arms to your mid section holding the blade. keep upper body stiff just move legs and move in one direction hope that helps
Once you dont have to worry about getting burned, you can get a feel for the grind position, comes about like riding a bike.Best advice I ever got knife making

Learning by experience & experimentation ;)

I started cutting up one of my (probably) L6 saw blades with my angle grinder. I've used used a grinder in the past but unless I use something often, I tend forget “lessons learned” like:

“Hey, sparks & motor exhaust are hot enough to burn”
44047863944_66d06fc463_k.jpg

…and “hot things make smoke and smoke sets off the smoke detectors (even though you have the shop window open”
44047863104_1f2e6b73d7_k.jpg

After moving things outside, I was able to finish up my primary cuts and ready for some edge cleanup.
44047861214_2e68aeb2ce_k.jpg

The handle seems too fat for the blade on the rounded blank, so I’m thinking of cutting down the top, opinions? Suggestions?

I did, and now having it in my hand i can evaluate my design and make changes if necessary. Any suggestions on the design or ratio of blade to handle on the cuts? Or things to watch for moving forward?

Can you show a pic of your drawing and a better pic of your blanks

Back