What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Untitled by bruce culberson, on Flickr

First Friction folder is in the works....

69-knives - I like the moose antler handles!

Patrice - those goggles are rock'n!

That should be a sweet looking folder! I am about to start making my first real folder as well, just ordered a bunch of stuff from AKS. Planning on it being 3.75 - 4.0 " hunter blade, not too sure about the rest, I don't really like drawing stuff out, unless it's hot steel.

This one has a 3" blade. I started with drawing the handle and blade on a pad of paper, pushing hard with the pen so that the next page down was imprinted. Then I drew just the blade on the second sheet. Using a window as a light table I could line up the pivot point from the two drawings to see how the stop pin placement needed adjusted for timing.
Once I had it close i glued the paper to thin G10 for a mock up and template.

Man Nick you make everything look so easy :D

Well my garage Ive been a little busy when I can.

I made a photo album for my little girl we just had (well for the wife also, she liked it).

Gotten 4 or so blades that I am working on, stock removal in aldos 3/32 52100 that I got a while back. Hopefully I can get the HT a little better then the one I made a while ago that has the pau ferro scales on.

Also been forging when I can, these three are from W1 round rod I picked up. Wishing one day to get some more W2 to play with. Not sure exactly what each purpose is but more just playing with different shapes and what not, trying to build my skills a little as I go.

Re handled one of my round knifes, its one I really like using but the handle broke a long time ago so I took some natural walnut and a section of copper piping for the ferrule and walla. It works better then before.

Oh and almost forgot, finally got the crappy fiberglass handle off my 4lber, it gave me horrible blisters so I took a handle and cut it down and installed that guy now its so much better. Plus I recently mounted my hey buddin a little shorter and got it setup. Nice little anvil.

Photo album.jpg52100 blades.jpganvil and hammer.jpgw1 forgings.jpground knife.jpg

Congrats on the daughter Quint! I just had my girl in June...good luck finding shop time! :)

I just finished up my grinding and sanding station! Charles Vestal was so kind enough to actually give me the disk sander setup; all I had to do was hook it up to my motor and slap the disk on there.

4y6yERu.jpg

I don't post often but I love these shop threads. Here is a picture of blades just returned from heat treatment and a picture of the knives I sharpened this morning. In the corner of one picture is my next project, a "Nathan" disc. Jess

blades10-26-13web.jpg completed10-26-13web.jpg

This is white birch burl harvested by my friend DEllis and stabilized & dyed by WSSI. Just putting the finishing touches on it!

Jesse - that is a good batch of knives, should keep you busy for awhile!

Bruce, Yes you're right and it contains a few firsts. Like the fileting knives and a new kitchen utility. I may build the disc sander first. Jess

If some of you are still harvesting moose and using the horns, consider recovering the lower part of the leg. They are fairly rectangular and often you can get to scales from one The bone is very dense and you can even dye them some with Rit dye. To clean them give them a slow boil in water with TSP added. I mad several sales come from people that supplied me with the bones from a moose the got and wanted scales on their knife from it. Frank

Here's what I've got going right now... A 5.25" hunter in s35, and a slim wharncliffe that will be getting silky oak and maple on the handle

gzGddz0.jpg

Thanks guys :)

Patrice- LOVE the new shop glasses! :D :cool: I'd like to hear the story with that knife too!

Will- Love your style man! And you got the drilling jig figured out. It's just a beefy piece of flat bar machined flat with a mating piece of channel iron machined flat to hold the spacers down. Even if it's just a single spacer, I drill the pin holes in the spacer with the little fixture on the drill press, then transfer those holes to the handle block.

Corey- That album is frick'n fantastic! :thumbup: :cool: If you think I make any of this look easy, you just haven't seen me fumbling around and cussing in the shop! ;) :D

Don- That looks great! Sounds incredibly generous of Charles too! :)

Ian- You're progressing at an incredible pace. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Nick, I'm trying to push myself a little on each knife. Even things that I learned tricks to in the beginning keep showing new faces as I work.

The slim wharncliffe is my first blade with a distal taper, and possibly my first attempt at a flushed guard/spine joint. I had built up a mild phobia of distal taper, so figured I'd better get over it sooner than later.

BTW everyone, this is an incredibly enjoyable and interesting thread. Thanks!

Nick, I liked the glasses so much I got a clear pair and also a dark green (brazing) one. The dark green ones are screaming to be “steampuked” and will surely be if I can find a little free time. :D

As far as the knife, I've had this blade done for a while now. It was part of a pair to see how different they would turn out. Well the other one is the Rattler so pretty different. This one I tried the laminated fitting idea that was bouncing around in my nuggin for a little while. I think it is going to look ok but it made me realize that I need to take a page out of your book (who am I kidding, I should just memorize the whole book ;)) and try and improve my layout skills. Eyeballing it is just not cutting it anymore and in this case, it means an insane amount of time going back and forth between spacers trying to get everything right.

The other thing that I realized with both of these knives is that you need a beefy enough screw as a tang extension. This one started with a 10-24 bolt, which is not that big to begin with, and I had to grind a bit of the sides flat because of the thin ricasso. :( I ended up with a bolt that is “OK” once the knife is assembled but could be a lot stronger which is why I will keep these two for myself.

Hoping to have it finished to show you guys in a couple of weeks.

I just finished up my grinding and sanding station! Charles Vestal was so kind enough to actually give me the disk sander setup; all I had to do was hook it up to my motor and slap the disk on there.

4y6yERu.jpg

Is there an advantage to the belt driven disc grinder? I've never seen that set-up before.

The motor shaft is a 7/8", where as the disk fits a 5/8". It also slows down the speed a bit since it goes from a 4" pulley to an 8".

Back