What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

My wife's grandfather was a machinist. I got most of his tools when he passed several years ago. A few micrometers, a LOT of 1 1/4 box end wrenches, and his Kennedy toobox with assorted odds and ends. These have left me scratching my head. They look like the diamond tool we used to clean the surface grinder wheel in high school industrial arts class. They're marked JK Smit Sons with a few different numbers. A quick Gargler search says they're certainly a diamond tool but I can't figure out exactly what they're for. Thoughts?

hYd3SZL.jpg

They're single point diamond dressers, for truing up a grinding wheel. They sure look a lot like rockwell hardness indenters, but those usually look more finely finished.

My .25 opinion is that they are anvils for a press.
On edit, I do now see those points...carry on

I just tried to give a pin a little tappy-tap-tap through a walnut scale and it took a chunk of wood with it when the pin came out. I got out the micrometer and the 3/16 pins are a 4 thousandths larger than they should be. The drill bit is 2 thou smaller than it should be. Grrrr........

I just tried to give a pin a little tappy-tap-tap through a walnut scale and it took a chunk of wood with it when the pin came out. I got out the micrometer and the 3/16 pins are a 4 thousandths larger than they should be. The drill bit is 2 thou smaller than it should be. Grrrr........
This used to happen to me. I would be in the middle of glue up and the pins would not go through. Trying to tap them in with a hammer while epoxy was going all over the place was not fun.

I now measure every pin regardless of what the label says and size up on the drill bit when I can. cheap set of letter and number drill bits has been helpful, or buy specific sizes that are a small amount above the nominal size of the pin. Such as F bit for 0.25" pins, or #30 bits. I drill the steel with the nominal size (0.25") first and wear them out and then drill the extra small amount with the special bit.

Hi T ten-six here's my solution... I chuck the uncut pinstock up in the drill press for the full length needed for the whole knife (4" for example) and hold sand paper up to resize to fit for a smooth insertion. Then cut the lengths as needed. I think it also creates epoxy channels as an added benefit. I also grind semi points on the ends to aid in the initial alignment. I'm sure those ideas came from the folks around here somewhere. I hope you can save it. But yeah first of all mic 'em like ashwinearl said.

Last edited:

Also, when you drill wood, it compresses around the drill bit as the bit cuts. Immediately after you drill it, your pins may fit. Later when you try to fit the pins, the wood has relaxed a bit and they won’t fit.
Run your drill through it a second time and your pins just might fit!

Hi T ten-six here's my solution... I chuck the uncut pinstock up in the drill press for the full length needed for the whole knife (4" for example) and hold sand paper up to resize to fit for a smooth insertion. Then cut the lengths as needed. I think it also creates epoxy channels as an added benefit. I also grind semi points on the ends to aid in the initial alignment. I'm sure those ideas came from the folks around here somewhere. I hope you can save it. But yeah first of all mic 'em like ashwinearl said.

I chuck my pin stock in a cordless drill & run it on a slack belt on the belt grinder. Same end result. After the pins are cut, I chamfer the ends (so there's no burr), and I grind a small groove in the center of the pin - so the epoxy has a good mechanical "lock" on the pin stock.

Also, when you drill wood, it compresses around the drill bit as the bit cuts. Immediately after you drill it, your pins may fit. Later when you try to fit the pins, the wood has relaxed a bit and they won’t fit.
Run your drill through it a second time and your pins just might fit!

This is absolutely true.

Also, drill bits are a funny animal. They rarely drill a hole that's the actual stated size, and this is largely dependent on the material you're drilling. Since there are only 2 flutes (on most), they also wobble a bit in the hole. If you want a perfectly round and true to size hole, a reamer is the only way to do this.

As for the size of drill bits, they almost always measure slightly under their stated size. Nearly all hole making tools (drills, reamers, annular cutters, etc...) have what's called back taper from the cutting edge. It isn't much, usually around 0.0005'' of taper per inch, but it's just enough so the outside diameter of the tool doesn't gall the hole it's making. If you measure the shank of a 3/16'' jobber drill bit, a measurement of 0.185''/0.186'' is totally acceptable. Lastly, if you use "cheap" drill bits from the big box & discount stores, they are usually toleranced along the lines of +0''/-0.005'' so they can manufacture them quickly and cheaply. This means your 3/16'' jobber drill from Home Depot may actually measure 0.1825'' and still be "within spec".

If you want an accurate drill bit, get a precision "screw machine length" drill bit from an industrial distributor (which is what I use). If you want perfect holes, get a reamer.

That is REALLY sweet. I wish I could make one!
Thanks,

It took me a long time to up the nerve to make one. It is a big learning curve but I really enjoy it.

That was exactly what I ended up doing about 4 minutes ago.

Back