What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Finally got some shop time rubberized carbon fiber and AEBL blade
Zdvlwy4.jpg

u29OUVK.jpg

If it's not to late I plan on auctioning this off and have all the proceeds go to help CMFTW family out

I realy like those mini-kwaikens.
If I may sugest a small improvement:
Use a smaller diametre round file for the sharpening choil. I think that would suit it's elegant lines even better

Finished this little guy this weekend. First time with peened on bolsters & not all that pleased with how they came out, since the outlines of the pins can be seen. I might try silver solder on the next one.

7-1/4'' OAL
3/16'' O1 Steel at 61Rc, radiused spine
Hollow ground bevel (10'' wheel) & swedge (2'' wheel)
Brass bolsters & African Blackwood handle

Thanks for looking!!

46180813664_b561c76f0f_c.jpg

46180816394_c6708d4676_c.jpg

And a few more with handles affixed & roughed out.

31964473097_6d51f00ee8_c.jpg

I saw the rubberized CF for sale, how do you like the material? How different is it from regular CF?

I forged this blade out a while ago but finally got around to finishing it. It's a pretty basic hunter/skinner. Feels great in the hand and cuts very well.

Blade Steel: Aldo's 5160, finished to 800X
Blade Length: 5 & 7/8" to the guard, 5 & 1/4" edge
Guard: 416SS with black G10 and copper spacers
Handle: Stabilized Lace Redwood with copper pin
OAL: 10 & 5/8"
Sheath: Hand stitched leather with pig skin lining

SDgpEoI.jpg

2Dt9q3i.jpg

yZtZ9D3.jpg

N19Mb8E.jpg

p30ipjv.jpg

TomMuSV.jpg

1lryqPO.jpg

UFeJSiW.jpg

Not real happy with this outcome. The balance of length to blade thickness is wrong and it feels.....cheap? I guess that's the way to put it. I did a lot better with things that I've struggled with like holding angles and curves true to the pattern and keeping grit out of places it doesn't belong. I've got some kind of hamon sort of thing going on and I don't know where it came from. There's also insect damage that I chose to leave in place because I felt like it belonged to the wood (maybe that's the tree hugging hippie in me talking). Alas, experience is gaining the knowledge you need just after you needed it...

Knife #7, .125" 1080 steel, local black walnut with danish oil, and 3/16" brass pins done with a Horrid Fright belt grinder and hand tools:

oXNTxYV.jpg

AbeVZL5.jpg

ten-six,

I don't think it's so bad. It looks like nice work. To my eye, it seems a little long between the plunge and the front of the handle. But overall it has a nice shape to it and the fit and finish looks great.

ten-six,

I don't think it's so bad. It looks like nice work. To my eye, it seems a little long between the plunge and the front of the handle. But overall it has a nice shape to it and the fit and finish looks great.

The scales should be a little higher on the ricasso, no doubt. It looked right when they were roughed in but not after execution. I'll make a specific note of that in my shop notes because it's a problem I've had before.

In the hand the thickness of the blade versus the overall length just doesn't match up at all. It feels like a big ole bowie handle with skinny little blade sticking out of it....probably because that's what it is. I feel like I should have planned ahead for this issue and ordered thicker steel but the fact is that I simply didn't know until now. So long as I learn from this I consider it a success even if it's not going to end up being my every day carry knife like I had intended.

Thanks for the kind words!

Not real happy with this outcome. The balance of length to blade thickness is wrong and it feels.....cheap? I guess that's the way to put it. I did a lot better with things that I've struggled with like holding angles and curves true to the pattern and keeping grit out of places it doesn't belong. I've got some kind of hamon sort of thing going on and I don't know where it came from. There's also insect damage that I chose to leave in place because I felt like it belonged to the wood (maybe that's the tree hugging hippie in me talking). Alas, experience is gaining the knowledge you need just after you needed it...

Knife #7, .125" 1080 steel, local black walnut with danish oil, and 3/16" brass pins done with a Horrid Fright belt grinder and hand tools:
Ten-six, well if it feels too thin and long maybe its a kitchen knife now?! You could ease down the upswept tip and it would look more the part. If you would indulge my opinion on the overall shape, the top is flat/straight for too long and would benefit from some curve/flow.... unless its a kitchen knife. Well made!

Ten-six, well if it feels too thin and long maybe its a kitchen knife now?! You could ease down the upswept tip and it would look more the part. If you would indulge my opinion on the overall shape, the top is flat/straight for too long and would benefit from some curve/flow.... unless its a kitchen knife. Well made!
I agree with all of your points. I think I'm going to chalk this up as a lesson learned and keep it as is so I have a tangible reminder of those lessons. There's always more steel!

I forged this blade out a while ago but finally got around to finishing it. It's a pretty basic hunter/skinner. Feels great in the hand and cuts very well.

Blade Steel: Aldo's 5160, finished to 800X
Blade Length: 5 & 7/8" to the guard, 5 & 1/4" edge
Guard: 416SS with black G10 and copper spacers
Handle: Stabilized Lace Redwood with copper pin
OAL: 10 & 5/8"
Sheath: Hand stitched leather with pig skin lining

SDgpEoI.jpg

2Dt9q3i.jpg

yZtZ9D3.jpg

N19Mb8E.jpg

p30ipjv.jpg

TomMuSV.jpg

1lryqPO.jpg

UFeJSiW.jpg

I love that knife! Very clean work and elegant design, just awsome.

Here's a stag hunter I've finished up. My first stag handle, thanks to some advice from some folks on here. It turned out ok I think.

80CrV2 blade with etched flats and 800grit hand rubbed satin, stag handle with red fiber and bronze spacers and stainless guard and buttcap.

(crappy photos, sorry)
xwiOQU.jpg

Ud30O3.jpg

Yd521H.jpg

CjGAqU.jpg

Back