What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Slipjoint #5

Mx7W4zp.jpg

I think that I am going to need one of those...

I like it ! Stromberg Knives Stromberg Knives , you have hidden pins and that stainless pins goes through both scale or are just inserted in scale ? I like them...:thumbsup:

Thank you, I appreciate it. They're actually not hidden pins, all the pins are through both scales and blade. But the ones at the ends are carbon fiber and camouflages their selves pretty well.

I've decided to strictly focus on forging from here on out. Did stock removal for a while and got into folders but forging is where my heart really lies. Heres a little hunter I just forged out the other day from cru forge v. Got it forged out, profiled, and grinded to pre heat treat dimensions.
4e2VIt5.jpg

dRNGFnb.jpg

I worked on my lengthwise grinding on the flat platen. Dare I say it...... No hand sanding..... I'll post pics when I have the handle complete.

Flat platen looks like it should be good for plungeless knives. I get the handle and ricasso to a clean 400 on the disc and then only need a quick touch to get the scratch pattern there. I was concerned about rounding over the edges.

Did some testing
Rv0FEWm.jpg

4V at 65-66rc.
0.109" stock
0.014" bte of a 20dps 600grit CBN edge
10dps on the primary grind.
16d steel nail chopped.

No chipping

I like to go thinner
0.010" bte of a 15dps
And 5dps on the grind to a full flat on .100" stock makes me happier cause it cuts better but will break on the nail.

Did some testing
Rv0FEWm.jpg

4V at 65-66rc.
0.109" stock
0.014" bte of a 20dps 600grit CBN edge
10dps on the primary grind.
16d steel nail chopped.

No chipping

I like to go thinner
0.010" bte of a 15dps
And 5dps on the grind to a full flat on .100" stock makes me happier cause it cuts better but will break on the nail.
You did a nice job on that blade, looks like your spot on for heat treating.

Back