What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

My latest one. One of my Hunter variants with dyed Box Elder Burl. I have a short video clip you can check out as well on IG. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx3LqA8huqr/

SjSicO6.jpg

bPZ7mje.jpg

XpITwLM.jpg

HaOoK8U.jpg

Working on my first folder with the help of Chris Crawford of Chris Crawford's Knives. Chris' website. He does some amazing work and has been extremely generous with his time and knowledge. Check out his website for some very good tutorials. I know a few of you have made an etcher using the plans on his site. I've ordered a rise and fall indicator from USA Knifemaker that should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to making progress on this.

F0001e.jpg

F0002e.jpg

F0004e.jpg

F0005e.jpg

QigiKKb.jpg

I needed a small marking and basic carving knives. They are pretty crude work, which I intend but is now bugging me
I might have to have another go and make some really nice ones

Edit: I'm really starting to like tallow wood. I might have to find some really nice bits, not recycled decking

Last edited:
You folder guys. Making me jealous. Mine 2 attempts were complete garbage

It took me a long time to get started. I just bit the bullet.
My first one came out pretty good.
My second one I had to start over 3 times before it actually was completed.:D

me too. i have made 3 folders over the years, and i am too embarrassed to post any of them lol. two were too hard to open and close, the other was too easy to open and close :rolleyes:

What really helped me a lot are 1. Steve Culvers book on slip joints 2. video "Slip joints with Luke Swenson sold by Chris Crawford.

I have gone over those two resources many times before starting and still refer to them with each build.

Last edited:
A little side project I had laying around for a long time.
A userknife for in our kitchen. The handle is unstabilised holly. I like the creamy white colour and I'm curious how it will hold up in use and over time.
The bolster is chemicaly blackened nickle silver, also to see how it holds up.
3mm niolox with a "red neck stone wash finish" (a plastic bottle, soapy water bits of concrete and shaking it all infront of the TV for half an evening)

IMG-20190530-161019.jpg

IMG-20190530-153532.jpg

I'm curious how the Holly holds up too. Let us know! Could be a great contrasting element with darker woods. Maybe bolster material or something ☺

I was trying to dry small pieces of Douglas fir for the same look (almost pure white with hardly any grain) but it's still seeping after 2 years lol

I had been inspired by John Doyle's knives to try reeded/coined edges on a spacer. Found out it sucks. I wanted something a bit different on this one (for me), so I continued the stripes on the maple handle up onto the blade's spine.

Edited; Images deleted.

Hat is off to Mr. D.

Last edited:
View attachment 1138345 I had been inspired by John Doyle's knives to try reeded/coined edges on a spacer. Found out it sucks. I wanted something a bit different on this one (for me), so I continued the stripes on the maple handle up onto the blade's spine.
View attachment 1138344

Hat is off to Mr. D.

Your spacer came out pretty well.
I don't know how John does his, but based on the evenness and number of cuts per inch, I assumed he uses a 20 lpi checkering file.
I was tempted to try it also and thought about checkering about an inch of rod, and then just cut off a slice whenever I want a coined spacer...

Back