What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

QFMBEqh.jpg

Well damn, that looks like terrible grain

Working on a new Pocket Puukko. I was hanging out on the Sambar or Stag site looking at all that beautiful jigged bone that I decided to use moose tip for the next project.

Thinking about adding a bit of lapiz lazuli block up front behind the bolster so I’ll have to chop out a little slice of antler but I can use it as a spacer on another knife

The LL block is neat stuff. Its a combination of pulverized LL in an epoxy resin which is baked. It grinds like maple, resistant but with good bite from the belt. To finish you sand to 600 then buff with white compound

Just posting this to thank all the folks that contributed with constructive comments. My bolsters are tight and relieved from behind and my caps have rectangular holes for a peened fit. Hope to post progress soon

92D88D82-5F82-46C9-BC01-A6A51E851ED3.jpeg 7BE650C7-DF2D-4975-BFD4-3A19C42375F2.jpeg

About 6, 60grit Ceramic belts for the rex 121 at 70rc so far

What brand of belts are you using? With how expensive that sounds, you may consider diamond belts with wet grinding at slower speed to protect the diamond from breaking down.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...reselect=8763352+3293190396+3294857497&rt=rud

Maybe something like that and use a belt splitter on it since it's 4 inches wide. Never tried it myself but it may be worth trying for you considering the expense of that many ceramic belts per knife.

Last edited:
Fresh off the bench, still warm from buffing with green then white compound

2.9” Puronvarsi carbon rat tail that pokes out the back plate

D0314172-D57B-439D-8790-E2B215D4595A.jpeg

Moosetip handle with lapiz lazuli spacer, brass liners, redwood burl veneer stacked 1/8” behind back plate

Been a fine evening. 2 Guinness Stouts

E87A9C63-B52B-4250-8CB1-B5615A8E6E79.jpeg

What brand of belts are you using? With how expensive that sounds, you may consider diamond belts with wet grinding at slower speed to protect the diamond from breaking down.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...reselect=8763352+3293190396+3294857497&rt=rud

Maybe something like that and use a belt splitter on it since it's 4 inches wide. Never tried it myself but it may be worth trying for you considering the expense of that many ceramic belts per knife.
You can not grind steel with diamond belts .Next time read all details ....:p
Carbide, Cast Iron, Ceramic, Chilled Cast Iron, Chrome Carbide, Chrome Oxide, Granite, High Nickel Alloy, HVOF, Nickel Based, Non-ferrous Metals, Oxides, Soft Metals, Stone, Tungsten Carbide
What he need is CBN belts ..............and he know that :D We wait price to go down..........little :D

WHAT speed /SFPM/ you use for grinding this thing ?
I have a 1.5hp 2x72, the motor doesn't have crazy SFPM. I'm using 40% to 20% speed on the VFD dial as needed. I found going at 70% -90% is not as good as going slower and putting your body weight into it.

Fast speed just sheers off all the sharp grains and makes far too much heat if adding the pressure needed to get these belts to remove steel.

I have a 1.5hp 2x72, the motor doesn't have crazy SFPM. I'm using 40% to 20% speed on the VFD dial as needed. I found going at 70% -90% is not as good as going slower and putting your body weight into it.

Fast speed just sheers off all the sharp grains and makes far too much heat if adding the pressure needed to get these belts to remove steel.
You fracture grains to fast on slow speed with that kind of pressure , that s why you use 6 belts on one knife . I grind them most time on 40m/s with ....well how I would explain what is medium pressure by my standards ????? Look , if you feels that more heat is produced than it needs in most case low pressure on steel is applied .Don t give up from speed ,with test you can find right speed and right pressure . That finish is very , very rough , try at least when you are close to finish with grinding to speed up on max .grinder and make several light pass........it's not fun at all to hand sand steel like that :)
20 m/s would work fine with right pressure ...........

I appreciate the advice Natty but I've got some tricks up my sleeve, I'll show you the finished product and you'll see ;)

*In reality it's still 15v with 23% MC type Carbide at +67rc, it is what it is.

You fracture grains to fast on slow speed with that kind of pressure , that s why you use 6 belts on one knife . I grind them most time on 40m/s with ....well how I would explain what is medium pressure by my standards ????? Look , if you feels that more heat is produced than it needs in most case low pressure on steel is applied .Don t give up from speed ,with test you can find right speed and right pressure . That finish is very , very rough , try at least when you are close to finish with grinding to speed up on max .grinder and make several light pass........it's not fun at all to hand sand steel like that :)
20 m/s would work fine with right pressure ...........

Finishing this up. Handle is moose antler with a little lapiz lazuli resin block
Scabbard is Curly Birch
Going back for a light walnut water base stain

You can not grind steel with diamond belts .Next time read all details ....:p

What he need is CBN belts ..............and he know that :D We wait price to go down..........little :D

Yes you can with cooling and a slower speed. The only reason you can’t is because heat combined with the carbon in steel will cause the diamond to break down. So if you have adequate cooling i.e water and a slow speed it shouldn’t be an issue most people wouldn’t consider it on average steels but he’s not grinding average steels with Maxamet, REX-121 and CPM-15V. I’m not sure it would be worth it but considering he’s going through 6 belts a knife it may be worth trying as an experiment.

Also I said in a previous post right before that to look into CBN belts but you’re so eager to try and troll me you can’t read everything first before you respond with some sarcastic remark because you act like a arrogant child.

So take your own advice and read everything before you respond.

Last edited:
I'm leaving out details, one of the reasons why so many belts is I'm going down to 0.005" bte of a 15dps. If I stayed at 0.020"bte it would be less belts.

But I like the cutting performance super thin

Back