What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

CPM 15v Handsanded
DJxGaEw.jpg

Ready for Scales

5b0XAqO.jpg

I think @Willie71 needs to have a few sessions with you, I think you're showing masochistic tendencies handsanding CPM-REX-121 and CPM-15V. Really like that Micarta bro, where did you get it from?

Here's a few getting prepped for heat treat. I still need to grind some tang hollows and other tidbits of work. New to me medium and small choppers and large and medium fighter styles that I think I'll call my "fangers" since I like to make up words. The first two pics are 5160 and the hidden tangs are 52100. I've got more but don't want to clutter up a post. I typically go to 600 grit pre HT and Paul Bos sends them back so clean I usually can start right up at 600 quick clean up and go from there. Comments/critique welcome as always!reduced1.JPG reduced2.JPG reduced3.JPG

Thanks for looking,
John Cahoon

Was doing some fishing from the shore and some of these tiny fish mouths are so minuscule I had a hard time getting the hook out. Then if you use your pliers to clamp down on the hook you just shredded your knot.
Have you guys heard of a fish hook disgorger? I checked it on YouTube and then I just made my own this morning.

Tried it out with some more shore fishing and it worked fantastic!!

This style made the most sense to me.

GuIboHc.jpg

There is a notch on the left of the end that's hard to see in this picture.

Made from odds and ends.
Some quarter inch plastic 1/8 inch brass Rod. Extra chunk of kirinite.
IxAztT4.jpg

I didn't work too hard on it because I didn't know if it was going to work but I might make a decent set to give away for our annual fishing trip.

Just recently got started in this knife making thing. I'm not sure if what I have qualifies as a "shop" yet, but I figure I can post here anyway :) These are my first few blades in chronological order (I did practice one couple of feet of flat bar first). They're all RWL-34 and finish is 220 grit before heat treat. Some of the tangs aren't drilled yet. The work is done free hand, I figure I want to learn that way. One thing is for sure, this grinding business is addictive…

PWldXau.jpg

t5GeWmY.jpg

gy8Re4M.jpg

B0xbxLk.jpg

sSYhxGj.jpg

z93CnOH.jpg

Do you do your own HT, Scaniaman?
If you outsource it you can finish a lot higher pre HT

Do you do your own HT, Scaniaman?
If you outsource it you can finish a lot higher pre HT

That's a good tip, thanks. I did send away for heat treat just now, the first four blades. I don't know about the future though, I have my eyes on an Evenheat LB 18..

You may want to get some cheap emd stones from aliexpress to get you going after ht. Will save you a lot of time

Been a while since I posted here. Going through my shop top to bottom and making things the way I would really like them.
This is my old work bench for my office. Finished work mostly. I love this old heavy duty table, but didn't like the laminated plastic top they had on it. And it was too danged big if that is possible for a work bench.
So I dumped the old top, cut it down a bit, and put this old maple butcher block top I had. And I got to tell my wife: "See, I do use some of that old junk I save sometimes!" :)
Not only chopped down the length but the width too a bit. And go to leave this little stub sticking out for my sanding vise. I'm liking this bench a lot now.

workbench-1.jpg

workbench-2.jpg
workbench-3.jpg
workbench-4.jpg

Small full tang fighter in 15n20, hammered brass finger guard and pommel, African blackwood ferrule, unsharpened swedge. Tang notched for bolt for threaded pommel. A little more clean up on ricasso and then sharpen.
20190619_135402-1305x734.jpg 20190603_162417-1305x734.jpg

Got this on the bench. I thought I was done when I finished the Ebony scabbard but last night I decided to put on a brass front plate

The Puronvarsi bullnose blade is Rhombic so its thicker in the middle. Took a bit of filing but this now clicks right in once the blade contacts the 7 magnets in the scabbard

oo7ky.jpg

Spent about 2 hours, drilled / chamfered holes, did a quick rub down on the surface plate to make sure they're relatively flat and straight and then ground the 45 degree bevels on before I grind the primary bevels. I think I may try a high saber grind on a few of these as well and see how they come out. If I don't like it I can always make them a full flat.

oo7ky.jpg

Spent about 2 hours, drilled / chamfered holes, did a quick rub down on the surface plate to make sure they're relatively flat and straight and then ground the 45 degree bevels on before I grind the primary bevels. I think I may try a high saber grind on a few of these as well and see how they come out. If I don't like it I can always make them a full flat.
Nice looking blades.

Back