1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by WillSwift, Oct 8, 2013.

1. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    San Mai billet from Dion damascus. 13"OAL with 7.5" blade, camel thorn handle.
    [​IMG]

LCoop, FOG2, Coy Ranch and 2 others like this.
  2. torqueguy

torqueguy Pocket Puukko Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Coffin like Bowie influence on that handle? Very nice spacing on those holes. I would love to be there when you hit it with the first shot of Tru-Oil and witness that wood come alive

K J Frasier likes this.
  3. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    For first time I have that filing...like something was born when I heard that click sound when lock spring lock on place , slightly over 50% after I round little and polish edges for smooth operation , blade /where liner lock/ was grind at 8.5 degrees . Almost done ,scale glued pin peened , it is friction liner lock ,no detent ball no washers , no play anywhere.........Need to shape little that carbon scale on edges , make small correction on grind on right side/I start with hollow then change my mind and grind flat / to sharpen blade and that is that .I like it , I hope you like it too :) And I already start to work on other one ...better one ,with some modification .For liners I bought two stainless /cheap/ kitchen knives :D I don t think that soon I will make fixed blade :)
    [​IMG]
    You should look in that carbon in person....madness , I don t think that anything else can look like that :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BW......... I have new grinder , with one hundred mosquito power motor :p Gift from friend from China trip , friend who feels guilty because he want to kill me for asking him to drill 1mm hole in 67 hrc hss steel :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  4. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Starting work on a Barlow Slipjoint
    [​IMG]

Clean up bushing hole
    [​IMG]

Nothing better then a nice clean hole to stick your bushing into
    [​IMG]

Timing the slipjoint is key to a successful folder

Flatten spring and blade on disc

[​IMG]

Make sure the blade fits

[​IMG]

Grind off tip of spring to size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Get blade in position, lock everything down and mark end of spring where spine meets as a reference point for assembly

Liners glued together, pivot hole drill first. Line up blade and spring to drill rear spring hole first
    [​IMG]

Insert pin into rear hole, move spring down to set load on blade and drill the middle hole
    [​IMG]

Install spring and blade into liners and check blade tension
    [​IMG]

Blade tension is good, so grind back of liners down.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. jwccustom57

jwccustom57 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 13, 2017
    Here's my new large chopper in 5160 and wenge, not sharpened yet and still went pretty deep, it should work. Have another big one and 2 smaller to finish in due course. IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1796.JPG

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  6. K J Frasier

K J Frasier KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 23, 2019
    Yep, I really like the coffin handle design after recently building a coffin handle bowie, which I will post up soon. The tru oil finish is nearly complete. I will throw a pic up here when it's finished. Thanks for the kind words.

Fallbrook Forge and torqueguy like this.
  7. torqueguy

Oct 19, 2007
    Nice. Coffin Bowie is most ergonomic and aesthetic handle of all time. I continue to be obsessed by the ovality of the puukko oval, in this case as. 3 fingered pocket puukko

This is Olive Wood. Dense and heavy but nice looking.

I’ve always carried a knife. 50 years but I like fixed blades so i set out to replace my benchmade 690 eli with a puukko that could fit in my pocket.

[​IMG]

FOG2 and K J Frasier like this.
  8. torqueguy

Oct 19, 2007
    This is Claro Walnut, all one continuous piece of curly walnut. Aligning this grain pulls me away from work to the point where I almost stop wanting to kill financial people

Long live Ardbeg, with a drop of nothing

[​IMG]

PEU and K J Frasier like this.
  9. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Torque, you obviously know how to work wood.
    Have a look at tantos where the handle and sheath are made out of a single piece of wood.
    With the knife in the sheath it looks like a single piece. Top and bottom line, just a straight line.
    I think that would improof the looks if your work.

10. PEU

PEU Gaucho Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 6, 2006
    Kitchen knife, Balbach Stainless Damascus, 0.1" max thickness, 9.5" edge, blue dyed flamed stabilized maple burl with a mosaic pin and two corby bolts, vegetable tanned sheat by Pancho Elizalde @felizalde55

Pablo

[​IMG]

11. torqueguy

Oct 19, 2007
    Henglo

Many thanks for your help and comments. I always appreciate feedback. I have about 4 years of corporate torture left to go then hopefully I can become a full time retired knifemaker. No HR, no Finance people, no computer people, no strategic mba’s that should be drowned like cats, alcohol allowed during working hours- as long as its expensive stuff...

I got my original inspiration for the pocket puukko scabbard from the Japanese katana and a little bit from traditional Puukko sheaths which are pine foundation with leather. I added magnets for security.

Unfortunately, I am not patient enough to do leather yet, plus, I wanted something that sits well in my pants pocket. My target for the #PocketPuukko was a good quality 2.5” or 3” scandi ground blade and a total length of 6-6.5” maximum.

The way I grind the scabbard does not give me too much room up top. If I grind deeper, I would grind off the spacer and the 2 halves would collapse

The other problem with cylindrical arrangements is they tend to roll in the pocket. If I make the sheath a little wider and curved at the front tip, it sits better in my right, front pants pocket. That is the ultimate goal, to replace my folders with a light, ergonomic fixed blade that I can carry in my pocket

• [​IMG]

FOG2 likes this.
  12. torqueguy

Oct 19, 2007
    I agree the scabbards might be a bit too wide over the handle so I’m starting to regrind these closer to the handle yet leaving enough meat in the spacers for a robust construction

These are 2.5” blades
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are 3” blades
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

felizalde55, mknife, LCoop and 5 others like this.
  13. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    20190812_145358-459x816.jpg What's going on in my shop? Not much, been waiting 6+ weeks for the 9" disc to arrive. Was told in the beginning it would be 2-3 weeks, tops.

14. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    For those interested, I did a time lapse vid of me cutting up a 75 lb ironwood stump I found at a garage sale.
    That last Western Gyuto I made has scales from this stump. Overall a pretty amazing bunch of wood.

Gyuto-1b.jpg
    Gyuto-3.jpg

15. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Mark, Good video - your car must have ended up with an inch of sawdust on it :D

mknife and torqueguy like this.
  16. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    Thanks Stacy. It did. It was after this that I learned to close the garage door and back the vehicles away from the saw. :)

17. torqueguy

Oct 19, 2007
    Very nice spacing and drilling on the pin holes and I really like the violin like curve on the rear bottom of the blade.

18. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Who are you getting the disc from? Are they waiting on the MFG?

19. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    Yes, the MFG keeps pushing the date back on the supplier. I found one in stock from a different supplier yesterday, tracking shows it will be here day after tomorrow. The supplier has always given me excellent service, I'm not pissed at him, he's been left hanging by something out of his control and sounded as frustrated as I felt.

AVigil and Coy Ranch like this.
  20. torqueguy

Oct 19, 2007
    Mr K J Frasier showed what I think is the most perfect coffin bowie handle in what looks like Bastogne walnut a few pages back. Thank you sir for the inspiration.

Tough to do. I’ve been OCD ing on Puukko Ovals recently so I thought I would give the CBH a try. Lots of hand sanding and this is Ebony so I look like I could use a bath
    The pins are right on, there is a slight angle in the shot. Pins are sterling bought on ebay

[​IMG]

Pretty wood. Got it on ebay years back.

Bought from the estate of a woodwind oboe and clarinet maker in NYC. I’m honored to make knife handles from his old inventory.

This is 400 grit. Still need 600 800 then hot wax and buff. Ardbeg is usually used during the hot wax process

Been a good day so far. Sanding precise curves on Ebony reduces my desire to grill and fire dumb mba strategic consultant millennials. Strong letter to follow

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Hengelo_77 likes this.