What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Made some progress in our 100 degree heat

ZyDwBmV.jpg

Y6dpMqb.jpg

Been warm up here too! I was buffing a batch yesterday which I do outside and got bout half way through and said: " All done for today beer thirty!"
1bP5Dph.jpg

sxZ9zp6.jpg

Yep hot up here too. Was half way through buffing a small batch yesterday afternoon and said screw it beer thirty. Rolled everything back in the shop and sat down with my buddy from across the way and had a cold one.

Lemons, lemonade, so I made myself a knife.

I had this one laying around the house unsharpened for about three years.
I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Wild African olivewood, a domed brass pin and a front bolster out of taugua nut with the brown skin showing towards the front.
Then out of nowhere after three years a crack appeared.
My former dayjob tought me that if you can't hide something, then don't but make it look good.
It was a nice, natural crack so I filled it with dark brown epoxy, matching the brown front. Not unlike cracks in some ivories.
Goes well with the knife IMHO.

But it does mean that I no longer trust the material I used and I don't want this knife in somebody elses hands.
So I made myself a knife with a sexy shiny nose and a well fitting sheath.

Bye bye taugua nuts!

IMG-20190827-170417.jpg

IMG-20190827-170432.jpg

IMG-20190827-173936.jpg

IMG-20190827-170444.jpg

IMG-20190827-173915.jpg

IMG-20190827-173921.jpg

Anyway, kind of long, but an attempt to try to assure you that I am not advocating settling for junky looking product but rather, call it a "targeted level of fit/finish refinement" :) Historically I have a habit of taking targeted (but independent) stabs at developing technique, then all of a sudden pulling it all together. Hopefully soon I will have a knife I will be proud to post here - in the meantime here is this "learning effort" for the record. Hopefully someone else on the learning curve will be able to benefit from this.....

I suppose i think of it more as understanding what i can achieve. I have a guard that i'm not happy with, but i'm not sure i'm good enough at some specific aspects of crafting to do better. it'll be a display piece, so it's not a disaster (i think it may be more an aspect of my design of the whole knife, than me messing up the guard)
Hopefully we all remember where we started and help others be proud of what they are learning (i'm not sure i could solder those bolsters better, for example)

Barlow slipjoint
3.5" Closed
AEB-L Blade and spring LN quenched
Jeweled liners with mill relief
Threaded bolster
Pinned shield
flush 3 positions with half stop

Back