What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

3SQedSs.jpg

G33Wbfy.jpg

q1u9zh1.jpg
That turned out perfect. Love it

Here's my take on the Kephart, in 80CRV2, just under 10" with a 5" blade and client supplied Mallee burl. I did a fair bit of research (here mostly) and got many pics of the original and interpretations by others. The flared front was surprisingly challenging. I decided to modernize the sheath though, the original looked a bit dangerous. The floral tooling and dye is to complement the fine fellow's holsters.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Last edited:
Lovely knife. I really like Mallee burl for turning projects, but find it not so durable for knife handles.

One thing I see a lot is newer makers people shaping handles where the wood follows down the "finger bump"/guard. While it looks nice, the small wood tit will snap off easily when using the knife.
When using Micarta and other laminates, this isn't a problem, but with wood, the grain is almost always parallel to the edge, which makes that small piece very weak.

Yours is a bit more robust, but still likely to get knocked off in use.

20190820_183124-1512x1512.jpg 20190820_183313-1512x1512.jpg 20190830_132035-1512x1512.jpg 20190830_131942-1512x1512.jpg
My skinner design has evolved a bit. It was the first knife that I drew up on my own. I pushed the handle way back to allow for a pinch grip with your middle finger in the finger groove. I really like it.
The bottom one is a backpacker, which is about as straightforward as it gets, but people seem to really like them.

Just finished up my first fillet knife. First time I have used g10, ferric chloride, 15n20 and ground the blade post heat treat. This is a blank JT did on his first run with his CNC plasma cutter.

We do a lot of inshore fish and my son wanted a more substantial fillet knife for our big fish. So this is what I came up with. Not sure I like the design but it will fit the bill. It’s 13.5” long with a 8” blade. I would say it has a medium flex to it. My sons favorite colors are orange and blue. So I hope he likes this one. I am a new maker so criticism is welcome.
For some reason I can’t get other photos to post anyway on the other side the scale is blue with orange pins.
kCcFIjg.jpg

Last edited:
So my brother-in-law bet me that I couldn't make a cheap chinesium butter knife sharp...

So I decided to prove him wrong and then some - haha. Top knife is a cheap walmart butter knife I bought like 10 years ago and bottom is what I turned an identical one into.

Fun little useless project. Got it to cut paper but it was very difficult lol - I've never seen an edge roll so dang easy!

8c8cde8d-05d9-4634-a25d-b5c17ed49341-original.jpg

70hrc sounds hard, how does it hold up in use?
I made a video about it, it holds up.
It doesn't work the same as taking a steel like 1095 and leaving it AQ 67rc. The mechanism that makes Rex 121 this hard is a combination of tempered martensite, cobalt to resist decomposing of Martensite shape and solid solution Strengthing thanks to the high volume and size of Carbides to keep dislocations from moving. My point is it's not the same as having a steel untempered, the matrix is less strained to be at this hardness compared to other as quenched steels.

I would not make a prybar or a chopper from it. Impact toughness is very low, but it's used for small knives so I'd get a good laugh watching someone swing this 3.5" blade like an idiot. Rex121 has more Strength and Wear resistance than any steel available.

It works best for guys that want extreme slicing edge Retention and use proper gear and techniques to sharpen and use their knives only to cut.

When I was making a sheath the knife slipped off the counter and landed tip first in the hardwood floor. No damage. My heart skipped a beat though. :D

Passed the Wayne Goddard Tip test I suppose :p

Last edited:
Finished off this Sonoran Camp Knife, the largest standard knife model I make. Did some oak carving to finish off the order:

wNTeOEv.jpg

U69PI2r.jpg

cuorTBM.jpg

4gAgDxP.jpg

1Wjpbhy.jpg

Blade length is 4 1/4" and the knife is 9 3/4" oal. Blade steel is A2 at 62RC.

Started playing a little bit with 26C3 too:

AGfmrJo.jpg

YxVOqq4.jpg

RRGNuvb.jpg

Kept the little rams horn one as a personal EDC. It had a little grinding error, (ya can see that little divot in front of the plunge) and I didn't think I had enough stock left to fix it, so said screw it, I'll keep it. Past stupid sharp into UGLY sharp these little guys!

fs38ly9.jpg

What is the green handle material on the first knife?? I really like the look.

dms

Finished off this Sonoran Camp Knife, the largest standard knife model I make. Did some oak carving to finish off the order:

wNTeOEv.jpg

U69PI2r.jpg

cuorTBM.jpg

4gAgDxP.jpg

1Wjpbhy.jpg

Blade length is 4 1/4" and the knife is 9 3/4" oal. Blade steel is A2 at 62RC.

Started playing a little bit with 26C3 too:

AGfmrJo.jpg

YxVOqq4.jpg

RRGNuvb.jpg

Kept the little rams horn one as a personal EDC. It had a little grinding error, (ya can see that little divot in front of the plunge) and I didn't think I had enough stock left to fix it, so said screw it, I'll keep it. Past stupid sharp into UGLY sharp these little guys!

fs38ly9.jpg

Back